cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

Thrawn75
Explorer
Can you compare the image quality/resolution to GearVR?

ProntoJr
Protege
Actually i think GearVR is horrible. Rift is not as good as Vive, but it's ok.

Bleppe
Adventurer

Techy111 said:

Why did you buy it ? Who told you to buy it ? Did you research ? Did you have a DK1 or 2 ? Did you watch video's on youtube ? The answers to everything are there and not hidden. And I ain't your "buddy"

Don't feed the trolls Techy111 😉

pertm
Protege

Aroddo said:

oh yeah, blame me for expecting quality for € 700.
And no, I was at best expecting SVGA and what I got is PAL/NTSC.

Strangely, this NEVER gets widely mentioned.

Maybe because you are the only one thinking that!!!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@Bleppe yeah it really bugs me mate. I ain't no fan boy , the thing ain't perfect but jeezzzzz research peeps !!!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Aroddo
Protege
@techy111 
Buddy, I clearly made a mistake by buying it. At least I admit it. If you can delude yourself into believing that you got a quality product then fine. Keep it and be happy.
Fact is: The 3D is awesome, but the display is crap. 

@thrawn75
No, but I can compare it to Google Cardboard with a Samsung Galaxy 4.
The perceived resolution is comparable, but the Cardboard seems sharped for some reason. Probably because my glasses quickly mist over in the Rift.

xSTONEMANx
Expert Protege
I totally agree with Techy111 there is plenty of information and videos on the CV1,DK1,DK2. If you are not happy just sell it but you shouldn't tell people to cancel their orders.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I got what I wanted, I had a dk2 so knew what I was buying so no delusions there Sheila 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Aroddo
Protege
Ah, so you admit that the display is crap, but you don't want to see that mentioned. 
Interesting.

xSTONEMANx
Expert Protege
I think the resolution is fine.