cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

nrosko
Superstar

Aroddo said:

Buddy, I can tell anyone anything I want. We're not living in Trumpistan. 
And no one has to do what I say.

I am warning people from an underreported quality issue.

I wouldn't say you have gone about it in the best way but i guess its hard to hide your utter disappointment. Its difficult to imagine what its going to be like before you get it, especially as there is no good visual reference, I have gone from what you describe above to decent fidelity, I am now leaning to it being pretty bad but im not going to cancel. Been looking forward to it for to long. 

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Never said crap and never said brilliant , it is what is and I'm happy with what it is, isn't it 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

nrosko
Superstar
The problem with saying research it is, are there any videos on youtube that show you what the visual quality actually looks like when you where it?

Aroddo
Protege
@nrosko
Yeah, I'm so disappointed that I am not even sure if that thing is working as it should, or if it is indeed the real thing and not some cheap Chinese ripoff. And I have no way to compare.

Bleppe
Adventurer

Techy111 said:

@Bleppe yeah it really bugs me mate. I ain't no fan boy , the thing ain't perfect but jeezzzzz research peeps !!!!

I know exactly what you mean. Owned DK1 and have tried DK2 and CV1 so I know exactly what to expect. And yes there's litterally thousands of videos on youtube alone regarding the Rift, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
OK let's start again ? What are you seeing in what game that's so bad ? Have you ever tried a hmd before ? I do understand where you're coming from but I don't get the rant ? There are loads of people on here who give totally unbiased opinions on all things VR. If you meet a fan boy he'll tell you, bit like a fighter pilot.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

JCat
Expert Protege

ProntoJr said:

Actually i think GearVR is horrible. Rift is not as good as Vive, but it's ok.

As a previous owner of DK1, DK2 and Vive, as well as a current owner of Gear VR, Cardboard & in less than 24 hours, CV1, I can tell you this: Gear VR's display is quite fantastic. A number of friends actually thought the Gear VR's display was crisper than Vive's. Also, according to almost every review I've read, from journalist to owner, the Rift is slightly sharper than Vive's, where as the Vive is slightly brighter.

nrosko
Superstar

Bleppe said:

Techy111 said:

@Bleppe yeah it really bugs me mate. I ain't no fan boy , the thing ain't perfect but jeezzzzz research peeps !!!!

I know exactly what you mean. Owned DK1 and have tried DK2 and CV1 so I know exactly what to expect. And yes there's litterally thousands of videos on youtube alone regarding the Rift, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

But do they actually display what the rift sees in terms of quality? Most are just video captures as far as i can tell.
This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0X9dKqneJw for example seems to show images of various levels of quality but im guessing the image at 2minutes is more realistic?  

Bleppe
Adventurer
Ofcourse the videos don't display what you actually see, but it's not those videos I mean per say. There are numerous reviews and news articles describing in detail what both the rift and the vive can and cannot do.

Bleppe
Adventurer
And the image at 2 minutes doesn't give it justice at all. It's alot sharper than that. But yeah there is a visable screendoor still.