Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

AroddoAroddo Posts: 46
Brain Burst
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    Oh dear.
  • AroddoAroddo Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    oh yeah, blame me for expecting quality for € 700.
    And no, I was at best expecting SVGA and what I got is PAL/NTSC.

Strangely, this NEVER gets widely mentioned.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,245 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Whoever told you to buy on good faith ? You have to remember this is new. Many many posts on quality, it's a trade off mate
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• sparkie14sparkie14 Posts: 381
    Nexus 6
    Well i was happy with mine and the immersion is excellent.  Wouldn't go back to a monitor for gaming no way..
    Sell it to someone who has had to wait and will enjoy it and not moan and try to cast their opinions on others.  Your ideas may differ than that of others but it doesn't give you the right to tell others to cancel..
    Brain Burst
    Wait, so you are fine with that crappy display and expect others to follow your opinion, while denying me my right to voice mine? 
    What do you have to gain from that?
    You have a right to complain mate but you DON'T have a right to tell others what to do !!!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Brain Burst
    Buddy, I can tell anyone anything I want. We're not living in Trumpistan. 
    And no one has to do what I say.

I am warning people from an underreported quality issue.

Why did you buy it ? Who told you to buy it ? Did you research ? Did you have a DK1 or 2 ? Did you watch video's on youtube ? The answers to everything are there and not hidden. And I ain't your "buddy"

• Thrawn75Thrawn75 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Can you compare the image quality/resolution to GearVR?
  • ProntoJrProntoJr Posts: 252
    Art3mis
    Actually i think GearVR is horrible. Rift is not as good as Vive, but it's ok.
  • BleppeBleppe Posts: 189
    Art3mis
    Techy111 said:
    Why did you buy it ? Who told you to buy it ? Did you research ? Did you have a DK1 or 2 ? Did you watch video's on youtube ? The answers to everything are there and not hidden. And I ain't your "buddy"
    Don't feed the trolls Techy111 ;)
  • pertmpertm Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    Aroddo said:
    oh yeah, blame me for expecting quality for € 700.
    And no, I was at best expecting SVGA and what I got is PAL/NTSC.

Strangely, this NEVER gets widely mentioned.

Maybe because you are the only one thinking that!!!
    @Bleppe yeah it really bugs me mate. I ain't no fan boy , the thing ain't perfect but jeezzzzz research peeps !!!!

Brain Burst
    @techy111 ;
    Buddy, I clearly made a mistake by buying it. At least I admit it. If you can delude yourself into believing that you got a quality product then fine. Keep it and be happy.
    Fact is: The 3D is awesome, but the display is crap. 

@thrawn75
    No, but I can compare it to Google Cardboard with a Samsung Galaxy 4.
    The perceived resolution is comparable, but the Cardboard seems sharped for some reason. Probably because my glasses quickly mist over in the Rift.
  • xSTONEMANxxSTONEMANx Posts: 195
    Art3mis
    I totally agree with Techy111 there is plenty of information and videos on the CV1,DK1,DK2. If you are not happy just sell it but you shouldn't tell people to cancel their orders.
    I got what I wanted, I had a dk2 so knew what I was buying so no delusions there Sheila ;)

Brain Burst
    Ah, so you admit that the display is crap, but you don't want to see that mentioned. 
    Interesting.
  • xSTONEMANxxSTONEMANx Posts: 195
    Art3mis
    I think the resolution is fine.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Aroddo said:
    Buddy, I can tell anyone anything I want. We're not living in Trumpistan. 
    And no one has to do what I say.

I am warning people from an underreported quality issue.

I wouldn't say you have gone about it in the best way but i guess its hard to hide your utter disappointment. Its difficult to imagine what its going to be like before you get it, especially as there is no good visual reference, I have gone from what you describe above to decent fidelity, I am now leaning to it being pretty bad but im not going to cancel. Been looking forward to it for to long. 
    Never said crap and never said brilliant , it is what is and I'm happy with what it is, isn't it :)

Neo
    The problem with saying research it is, are there any videos on youtube that show you what the visual quality actually looks like when you where it?
    Brain Burst
    @nrosko
    Yeah, I'm so disappointed that I am not even sure if that thing is working as it should, or if it is indeed the real thing and not some cheap Chinese ripoff. And I have no way to compare.

Art3mis
    Techy111 said:
    @Bleppe yeah it really bugs me mate. I ain't no fan boy , the thing ain't perfect but jeezzzzz research peeps !!!!
    I know exactly what you mean. Owned DK1 and have tried DK2 and CV1 so I know exactly what to expect. And yes there's litterally thousands of videos on youtube alone regarding the Rift, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
    OK let's start again ? What are you seeing in what game that's so bad ? Have you ever tried a hmd before ? I do understand where you're coming from but I don't get the rant ? There are loads of people on here who give totally unbiased opinions on all things VR. If you meet a fan boy he'll tell you, bit like a fighter pilot.

• JCatJCat Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    ProntoJr said:
    Actually i think GearVR is horrible. Rift is not as good as Vive, but it's ok.
    As a previous owner of DK1, DK2 and Vive, as well as a current owner of Gear VR, Cardboard & in less than 24 hours, CV1, I can tell you this: Gear VR's display is quite fantastic. A number of friends actually thought the Gear VR's display was crisper than Vive's. Also, according to almost every review I've read, from journalist to owner, the Rift is slightly sharper than Vive's, where as the Vive is slightly brighter.
    Neo
    Bleppe said:
    Techy111 said:
    I know exactly what you mean. Owned DK1 and have tried DK2 and CV1 so I know exactly what to expect. And yes there's litterally thousands of videos on youtube alone regarding the Rift, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
    But do they actually display what the rift sees in terms of quality? Most are just video captures as far as i can tell.
    This video for example seems to show images of various levels of quality but im guessing the image at 2minutes is more realistic?  
    Art3mis
    Ofcourse the videos don't display what you actually see, but it's not those videos I mean per say. There are numerous reviews and news articles describing in detail what both the rift and the vive can and cannot do.
    Art3mis
    And the image at 2 minutes doesn't give it justice at all. It's alot sharper than that. But yeah there is a visable screendoor still.
    Brain Burst
    @techy111
    I have tried exactly 2 apps: "Within", the VR video player and the demos that kinda started by themselves. A T-Rex demo and some alien. I have no issue with the 3D effect - it doesn pretty much work as advertised.

I perceive the resolution like this: On the start screen you see some shop offers - in my case 'Edge of Nowhere' and 'Within' amongst others. The words 'Edge of' are a blurred mess you can only guess the meaning of. But you can, barely.
    The app 'Within' has a line of text underneath it's title. It's completely unreadable.
    And while one might argue that it's because the text is too small: Yeah, obviously, but the shop items look so large in VR that you expect that you should be able to read it.

And in general: I wasn't kidding about the wire netting analogy. At no point does a picture look like it isn't viewed on an old TV from up close.

And yes, I tried an hmd before. maybe 20 years ago in a computer tech museum. It was hi-tech at that time.
This discussion has been closed.