cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

Aroddo
Protege
I read reviews, saw some videos, read more reviews about how amazing the immersion is and NOTHING prepared me on how bad the display is in reality.
The ONLY thing one could find was that the Rift was slightly better than the Vive, and that doesn't really help.

Yeah, I fucked up and fed €700 to facebook for a tech demo.

And now I warn others to not do the same mistake. 

If you only want the "immersion" and you can immerse yourself in a world behind the milk glass, then the oculus is for you.

Bleppe
Adventurer

Bleppe said:

And how do you make a game run at 90fps in 4K with current gfx cards? Can't be done.

Er yes you can.  I get 75fps max in Dirt Rally in 4k with a GTX 1080.  Some less GPU intensive games would run ok at 4k and 90 fps.

Yeah but in VR you need to render the image twice. Once for each screen, and I seriously doubt you'll get 4K at 90fps even with a gtx 1080 with the simultaneous multi projection feature.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I can only conclude that the OP has just discovered that he has terrible eyesight. You should thank Oculus and schedule an appointment with your nearest Optometrist, stat.

peihound
Protege
Aroddo, if you put it up for sale I very much doubt you will have any problem getting your money back.

Of all the people that have had a play on my rift not one of them said that looks "crap" two did moan that now they had to part with £500 to get 1 ordered.

you can't please all of the people all of the time!!!!

Percy1983
Superstar

Aroddo said:

The words 'Edge of' are a blurred mess you can only guess the meaning of. But you can, barely.
The app 'Within' has a line of text underneath it's title. It's completely unreadable.
And while one might argue that it's because the text is too small: Yeah, obviously, but the shop items look so large in VR that you expect that you should be able to read it.

I can honestly say I can read 'edge of' with no problems and can just about read the text under within.

Just to be sure have you tried moving the rift up/down to get better focus?
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Roaster
Rising Star
I remember there were many who were disappointed at the news we were getting a 1200 tall pentile screen.  Everyone was sure it would be 1440 at least.  As for reviews, Oculus gagged the early users so they couldn't talk about it. Since then, none of the reviews I've seen said it was any better than it is.
But if you want to look at the dots and lines that form the image, then that's your problem. Most look through it and can't see it.  The screen door is a good analogy in that you can look at it or you can look through it.
Pretty sure this is the only game in town for this kind of money, so we got what they gave us and it will have to do.

Clarity wise, I have to look slightly to the left of center to get the best view, but that text under WITHIN is really small.  I can just get Extraordinary stories in virtual reality ... but it's hard to read on a 1080 monitor too.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Aroddo
Protege
@Zenbane
I can only conclude that you are willfully ignoring the deficits of the Rift and are perfectly happy to keep potential customers in the dark. You are wearing blinders on top of the Rift.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Conclude all you like with your blurred vision, the truth about the lovely visual quality of the Rift, even when compared to the Vive is in the public domain. Even folks on reddit who normally chastise Oculus talk about gorgeous imagery in games like Chronos.

I am gonna blast this thread with links later just to watch you call the entire world liars lol

Aroddo
Protege
go ahead. i have a life outside this forum, mister 1193 posts.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
And when you get your eye exam you'll be one step closer to seeing life outside much more clearly, mister mole vision.