Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Comments

• RiftsRifts Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    The resolution is as good as it can get with current technology. Sure it would be better to use two 4k displays in the rift but the problem is how do you make a 4k monitor thats 4 cm tall? It just doesn't work and would need way to much computer power that no normal people have.
  • AroddoAroddo Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    @nrosko
    No, the videos don't really prepare for what you actually see, because what you see in the video on the screen nearly fills your entire view. 

@Bleppe
    the video at 2:00 comes pretty close to how the 'Within' videos look to me. See the parallel black lines in a 45° downward angle that you can see quite clearly on the left side of the video? I see them and a matching set of upward lines over the entire view, which makes for the wire netting effect.
    That video makes it look better than it is.

• SpiceLife72SpiceLife72 Posts: 151
    Art3mis
    What computer do you have for a start?  Looks great on my previous 970 and even better on my 1080.
  • BleppeBleppe Posts: 189
    Art3mis
    And how do you make a game run at 90fps in 4K with current gfx cards? Can't be done.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    Bleppe said:
    And how do you make a game run at 90fps in 4K with current gfx cards? Can't be done.
    You power it with a generator running on distilled unrealistic expectations.  The most volatile power source known.
    Brain Burst
    @SpiceLife72
    unless higher system specs increase the quality for still images, I doubt my system specs matter. I too have a 970. was considering a 1070 or 1080 for the rift, but now it looks like it's not worth the bother.

Art3mis
    Bleppe said:

Er yes you can.  I get 75fps max in Dirt Rally in 4k with a GTX 1080.  Some less GPU intensive games would run ok at 4k and 90 fps.
    Art3mis
    Aroddo said:
    @SpiceLife72
    unless higher system specs increase the quality for still images, I doubt my system specs matter. I too have a 970. was considering a 1070 or 1080 for the rift, but now it looks like it's not worth the bother.

Eve Valkyrie was running on low settings with no shadows on a 970.  Now with the 1080 it is running ultra settings including shadows and looks amazing.
  • peihoundpeihound Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    How any one can lay down £500 for a new product without doing some research first is madness.
    with the Internet at your finger tips there is no excuse this day and age!
    If you was expecting 4K style Gfx, then no surprises your disappointed, you can hardly call the gfx "crap" they are a nice improvement over the dk2.

Op what specs is your pc gfx card?A gtx970 will run games, but in my opinion you won't be able to run things with settings cranked up.To get the best from the rift a 980ti or better is needed, the difference is huge with everything turned up.

Every one likes eye candy in games, but for me it's all about the immersion that vr offers.
    Brain Burst
    I read reviews, saw some videos, read more reviews about how amazing the immersion is and NOTHING prepared me on how bad the display is in reality.
    The ONLY thing one could find was that the Rift was slightly better than the Vive, and that doesn't really help.

Yeah, I fucked up and fed €700 to facebook for a tech demo.

And now I warn others to not do the same mistake. 

If you only want the "immersion" and you can immerse yourself in a world behind the milk glass, then the oculus is for you.
  • BleppeBleppe Posts: 189
    Art3mis
    Bleppe said:

Er yes you can.  I get 75fps max in Dirt Rally in 4k with a GTX 1080.  Some less GPU intensive games would run ok at 4k and 90 fps.
    Yeah but in VR you need to render the image twice. Once for each screen, and I seriously doubt you'll get 4K at 90fps even with a gtx 1080 with the simultaneous multi projection feature.
  • peihoundpeihound Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Aroddo, if you put it up for sale I very much doubt you will have any problem getting your money back.

Of all the people that have had a play on my rift not one of them said that looks "crap" two did moan that now they had to part with £500 to get 1 ordered.

you can't please all of the people all of the time!!!!
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Aroddo said:
     The words 'Edge of' are a blurred mess you can only guess the meaning of. But you can, barely.
    The app 'Within' has a line of text underneath it's title. It's completely unreadable.
    And while one might argue that it's because the text is too small: Yeah, obviously, but the shop items look so large in VR that you expect that you should be able to read it.

I can honestly say I can read 'edge of' with no problems and can just about read the text under within.

Just to be sure have you tried moving the rift up/down to get better focus?
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,052
    3Jane
    I remember there were many who were disappointed at the news we were getting a 1200 tall pentile screen.  Everyone was sure it would be 1440 at least.  As for reviews, Oculus gagged the early users so they couldn't talk about it. Since then, none of the reviews I've seen said it was any better than it is.
    But if you want to look at the dots and lines that form the image, then that's your problem. Most look through it and can't see it.  The screen door is a good analogy in that you can look at it or you can look through it.
    Pretty sure this is the only game in town for this kind of money, so we got what they gave us and it will have to do.

Clarity wise, I have to look slightly to the left of center to get the best view, but that text under WITHIN is really small.  I can just get Extraordinary stories in virtual reality ... but it's hard to read on a 1080 monitor too.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
    Brain Burst
    @Zenbane
    I can only conclude that you are willfully ignoring the deficits of the Rift and are perfectly happy to keep potential customers in the dark. You are wearing blinders on top of the Rift.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,105 Valuable Player
    Conclude all you like with your blurred vision, the truth about the lovely visual quality of the Rift, even when compared to the Vive is in the public domain. Even folks on reddit who normally chastise Oculus talk about gorgeous imagery in games like Chronos.

I am gonna blast this thread with links later just to watch you call the entire world liars lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Brain Burst
    go ahead. i have a life outside this forum, mister 1193 posts.
    And when you get your eye exam you'll be one step closer to seeing life outside much more clearly, mister mole vision.
  • WihglahWihglah Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016
    Aroddo said:
    @techy111
    I have tried exactly 2 apps: "Within", the VR video player and the demos that kinda started by themselves. A T-Rex demo and some alien. I have no issue with the 3D effect - it doesn pretty much work as advertised.

I perceive the resolution like this: On the start screen you see some shop offers - in my case 'Edge of Nowhere' and 'Within' amongst others. The words 'Edge of' are a blurred mess you can only guess the meaning of. But you can, barely.
    The app 'Within' has a line of text underneath it's title. It's completely unreadable.
    And while one might argue that it's because the text is too small: Yeah, obviously, but the shop items look so large in VR that you expect that you should be able to read it.

And in general: I wasn't kidding about the wire netting analogy. At no point does a picture look like it isn't viewed on an old TV from up close.

And yes, I tried an hmd before. maybe 20 years ago in a computer tech museum. It was hi-tech at that time.

I think you need to check you glasses mate, it says "Extraordinary Stories in Virtual Reality" under the Within logo.

FYI if the resolution was any higher, your PC couldn't handle it.

Brain Burst
    Oh yeah, that's another thing where the Rift sucks: If you wear glasses in the Rift, they immediately fog over. 
    I don't need my eyes examined again, but you clearly need a surgeon to remove your head from out of your arse.
  • rankinsectrankinsect Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    Make sure you've properly gone through the rift calibration and that your rift is sitting at the proper angle in front of your eyes.  If it's too high or too low you'll get bad quality.

PAL/NTSC gaming is a good analogy.  I grew up in that era, and while sure, video quality was much less than today, there were plenty of very good-looking games of that era, and we had a lot of fun playing them.  Sure, games like Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X, A Link to the Past, etc. were nowhere near 4k image quality, they were and are graphically very enjoyable, even at their original low resolutions.

Likewise, sure, the first generation of VR products don't have the graphical quality that we were used to in non-VR gaming, but later generations of hardware and software will improve on it.  There are still good-looking and fun games in this era of VR as well - particularly in games like Chronos, that were designed for VR from the get-go, the overall experience is a lot better than other games for which VR was bolted on later, like Elite: Dangerous (although Elite has come a very, very long way from when I first played in VR, a combination of some UI redesign and the CV1 being a lot better than the DK2).
    Aroddo said:
    Oh yeah, that's another thing where the Rift sucks: If you wear glasses in the Rift, they immediately fog over. 
    I don't need my eyes examined again, but you clearly need a surgeon to remove your head from out of your arse.
    I use both contacts and glasses regularly, and most people who use the Rift with glasses give good advice on this forum.

I haven't put my head up my own arse since the 90's but your lips seem to be latched on to something meaty.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,253 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    @Aroddo - What you have to understand is VR is staring out much like everything else starts out. Mobile phones, consoles, TV's, video cameras, ipads. They all started out with displays and resolutions that weren't fantastic. However, they all offered something different. With VR it's about the immersion for now and many people including myself are happy about that. You seem to be criticising something that Oculus has no control over, which is tech that will allow them to use better screens. As others have mentioned there is no shortage of reviews explaining what you are going to get with the CV1, right down to the God Rays and SDE. Telling people not to buy this product, is a bit like telling someone 40 years ago not to buy a television because the display was crap. It's slightly different with the Rift though, because it's not the displays that are crap, it's because you have to view them closer up that makes you see things less clear. The tech has to catch up to make make VR as good as you see on your Pc monitor, but you must know that will take some time.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    @CardinalStorm   Oh i remember my huge 21" Sony Trinitron CRT monitor (QUAD XGA 2048 x 1536). It weighed A TON
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    Aroddo said:
    Hmmm, mine don't. Stop heavy breathing :wink:

Someone clearly either didn't research, or chose it ignore information about image quality.

All I can recommend is try a few different games and you may come to realise resolution isn't everything.

Try eve Valkyrie, that has a built in upscaler that you can compare different scales with. If you find upping the scale to x1.2 helps, Try the OculusDebugTool and upscale from there to 1.2 or 1.5 although your graphics card may not be up to it, especially in intense graphical games like project cars. 
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
    Showdown is my favorite thing to show first time viewers. It always gets a fantastic reaction.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    Looks fun! Reminds me of

Ill add it to my list :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Aroddo said:
    I am warning people from an underreported quality issue.

Modern-day tech consumers are a very nit-picky bunch who leap from their seats at the chance to complain at the slightest dissatisfaction with a product;  If anyone thought the Rift's display quality was lacking, the "issue" wouldn't be under-reported.

Besides, think of this realistically... do you have any idea how much it would cost to put two miniaturized 4k displays in an HMD?  Or how much we'd have to spend on computer hardware just to power them?

Most of the general public already thinks $1500 is way too much to pay for VR, I can only imagine how well a $4000+ VR setup would be received. Even if small-print text was a little easier to read. :wink:

(Maybe the hardware costs will have gone down enough to see that by Gen 2 ... otherwise, you're not going to see 4k VR for a looooong time.  I suggest learning to appreciate what you've got access to now!)
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • jademanjademan Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    Sorry, Aroddo, your opinion is yours, but it differs from the general concensus quite a bit. Maybe something else is going on here.

I'm just wondering if such an extreme reaction is due to not having the Rift properly calibrated, or fit on your head. There is indeed a sweet spot, and getting it fit right is key. Make sure the strap on the back of your head is pulled down about as far as it will go towards your neck. Play around with it - you should find the sweet spot and the best fit for you.  Text is not perfect, but should not be as blurry as you are describing.  There will be a "screen-door effect" but overall this is much improved from previous gens, and should not be much of a distraction once you're tuned in right otherwise and into a game.

Like others have said, after fitting/calibrating correctly, I would recommend playing with some more of the free content for now, like Showdown as was suggested. If that doesn't show you the potential, I don't know what will. Believe me, the vast majority of Rift users are very happy with their purchases.
This discussion has been closed.