cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer

Applecorp said:

From what I have gathered there is an improvement in the screen door effect but it isn't significant, it's still there.

lets hope for the best buddy. I have a feeling we going to have to use the pixel density setting thing..lol

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

If it really looks like that in your Rift then there's something seriously defective with either the VR device itself or your PC. Although I'm pretty sure at this point you're just having fun saying stuff on a forum; not really sharing anything realistic.

My screenshots depict exactly what I see with my Rift being worn.

thats positive...and encouraging

MorgenKell
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

If it really looks like that in your Rift then there's something seriously defective with either the VR device itself or your PC. 

Or his eyes, or mind...

Applecorp
Rising Star

nAV2016 said:

Applecorp said:

From what I have gathered there is an improvement in the screen door effect but it isn't significant, it's still there.

lets hope for the best buddy. I have a feeling we going to have to use the pixel density setting thing..lol

What's that and how do you do it?

MorgenKell
Expert Protege

Aroddo said:

@Zenbane
your screenshots look great. I wish it would look like that in virtual life.

However, it actually looks more like this.

I know: you live in a country with big bad mosquitos & you forgot to remove the net from your head before put the Rift

I'm so glad I could help you

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@Applecorp download the sdk and it's in there. Set it to 1.5 to start and see how you got on 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
I find I only notice the individual pixels when there's something small off in the distance.  They are definitely visible, but the division between them isn't that clear.  Certainly not a black line like Aroddo's screenshot.  Closer objects, especially ones wit a more complicated texture?  Totally unnoticeable.

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer

Techy111 said:

@Applecorp download the sdk and it's in there. Set it to 1.5 to start and see how you got on 😉

Download the SDK is that the oculus software? and how exactly do we access it..i never used it before. I wanted to wait for the CV1 and not ruin any expectations. Yur help would be apprecaited. 🙂

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer

Applecorp said:

nAV2016 said:

Applecorp said:

No idea, was hoping it wont be needed to be honest!

MorgenKell
Expert Protege

nAV2016 said:

Applecorp said:

nAV2016 said:

Applecorp said:

No idea, was hoping it wont be needed to be honest!

http://www.roadtovr.com/improve-oculus-rift-game-image-quality-using-this-tool-oculus-debug-tool/

With the raw power of the new generation Pascal GPU it should be a nice option 😉