cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

EliteSPA
Superstar
First VR for consumers..... do you have 4 gtx 1080 in sli to run 2x 4k resolution now? dont think so, its not oculus fault, its the tech we have today. Btw you have  something called  "debug tool" to increase the pixel density, btw I still think people dont know what they are buying...
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

CharlieHobbes
Rising Star

This entire thread is hilarious.

Apart from the obvious hyperbole it just shows that the OP did no research nor had any experience with a VR HMD in the past 2 years.

Additionally based of the specs that were floating around and confirmed at the time of CV1 release the OP could have known what was coming.

With all due respect, please go back to your Xbox.

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer

nAV2016 said:

Applecorp said:

nAV2016 said:

Applecorp said:

From what I have gathered there is an improvement in the screen door effect but it isn't significant, it's still there.

lets hope for the best buddy. I have a feeling we going to have to use the pixel density setting thing..lol

What's that and how do you do it?

No idea, was hoping it wont be needed to be honest!

http://www.roadtovr.com/improve-oculus-rift-game-image-quality-using-this-tool-oculus-debug-tool/

With the raw power of the new generation Pascal GPU it should be a nice option 😉

thanks buddy

Aroddo
Protege

Zenbane said:

If it really looks like that in your Rift then there's something seriously defective with either the VR device itself or your PC. Although I'm pretty sure at this point you're just having fun saying stuff on a forum; not really sharing anything realistic.

My screenshots depict exactly what I see with my Rift being worn.

Nope, this isn't fun at all.
There is a clearly visible screen door effect. It is less prominent in motion, but in any situation that requires a static view (like reading), it is clearly there.

MorgenKell
Expert Protege

Aroddo said:

Zenbane said:

If it really looks like that in your Rift then there's something seriously defective with either the VR device itself or your PC. Although I'm pretty sure at this point you're just having fun saying stuff on a forum; not really sharing anything realistic.

There is a clearly visible screen door effect. It is less prominent in motion, but in any situation that requires a static view (like reading), it is clearly there.

Yeaps like all previews & reviews in the world have already noted. I think your reading problems existed long before you received your Rift 

Percy1983
Superstar

Aroddo said:

Zenbane said:

Are you sure you have a CV1 and not a DK2?

xpho7gvwsue2.jpg

I will say if I look for the SDE I can find it but if I just get on with it I don't see it.

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
Well you knew the resolution didn't you? Funny you talk about bad quality when what you have bought is actually high quality.

NickytheHutt
Expert Protege
Aroddo, I think we are experiencing the same thing, but feeling differently.

I received my Rift on Monday and before that friends warned me about degraded graphics (pixel definition, screen door effect, god rays, blurs, etc.), and I got it confirmed with compact camera stills of the display through either lens.First try I had trouble fully enjoying the experience, overall positive but the degraded graphics bothered me. I have been used to watch 1080p for over a decade, and I feel it's really sad that any flat display at a distance between 50cm to 3 meters and above is better defined than the Rift. The Rift tries to achieve something else than monitors or TV's, to cover a large field of vision without weighing 6kg on my head. Given that no consumer VR headset has a higher resolution display they kind of succeeded given the current tech and optics.

Now that there are some people who don't feel the same way doesn't mean you and I should get rid of our HMD, it means that there's wiggle room to lower our current demands, get used to it or tweak the pixel render in the game or the debug tool. 

None of this is advertised, no shit, but if you buy spend 700€ and you care about those 700€ (some people are into spending for the hell of it) you should at least have done some research to either buy with awareness or wait a few years for the tech to mature. And now, you should really calm down and admit some consumer responsibility because you're making it easy for everyone to think you're an idiot, which I'm sure you are not.

Aroddo
Protege
@Percy1983
how can i find out if my Rift was manufactured with sub par components?
anyway, will try again this evening with some other demos. first impression was quite a let-down.

@NickytheHutt
Thing is, you find out about the screen door effect way way harder than you find out about how awesome the immersion is, or how some people experience nausea.
And it is quite easy for veteran users to paint someone else as an idiot if he didn't spend a bulk his free time on oculus forums.
To me this stinks like people wanting it to be better than it really is.

Fact of the matter is: People expect sharp images and what they get is a CRT TV with scanlines. In perfect 3D.

dippaau
Honored Guest

I agree with you Aroddo but think CardinalStorm summed up my take on the low res and SDE a few pages back as well as NikkyTheHutts in his comments above.

I see the SDE as soon as i put on the rift and would have also loved the res to be just a bit higher, to help with sims especially with viewing objects at a distance. But saying that the Rift gives a great experience, after gaming for over 20 years its something completely new. 

Aroddo give it a chance, check out the different experiences to see what might pull you in so you stop focusing on the res and SDE, for me cockpit games even with the negatives still have the rift winning over a monitor. Luckys surprised me of a genre I didn't think would interest me but now would to see something in the same style but more mature with some good ol'blood and guts.

The more I use the rift the more I focus on its positives and that VR immersion, and Ive been running a sub par video card (R9 280x), till tomorrow when hopefully a 1080 rocks up to give me better graphics and supersampling to smooth out all those jaggies!

Also the Touch, it's going to add that extra immersion when it finally lands, I think Vive did the smart thing including their hand controllers, you really feel like you are missing out not having your hands present in VR... but hopefully its worth the wait!

If you still find the res and SDE bug you after giving it some time definitely sell it while its still worth a bit and wait for gen 2, for me the Rift was a massive indulgent buy, its a luxury and its first gen tech but I'm enjoying it and getting more out of it as I play around. Interestingly i read that the PS3 apparently will not have any SDE.