cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

Greyman
Superstar
I would have thought, with your combined experience of the internet and the people that use it, you guys would have been able to spot a troll post by now.  Please stop feeding it.

steveoz32
Expert Protege
This thread was going on forever but I get the OP's point.

I used a DK2, I expected there to be bad SDE, it was bad, not half as bad as the horrible narrow sweet spot and god awful problems for glasses users though, but it was a DEV KIT.

So I already kinda had my expectations set when I was waiting for CV1 when I saw the small increase in resolution.

However, when I received mine I kind of felt the same. The image quality wasn't great, not really the SDE as such as you get used to that and it is much better than previous generations (I hardly notice it now). But it was the crappy 'god rays' and smearing that really bothered me. I had read so much about them, but nothing can really prepare you for it until you see it through your own eyes.

I can understand for someone buying it as their first VR HMD in 2016 @ £500 that it might seem a bit shit in all honesty. And I questioned whether I wanted to keep it myself. In fact, I left it for two weeks sat around doing nothing whilst I was thinking of getting rid. But then I went back to it, and more content started coming, I found more stuff outside of the Oculus store I liked, and I just chilled out, had a beer and started having fun with it.

I guess it all depends on what you try and experience with it. For me I tried ED first and it was out of the question for me right away, the god rays and SDE ruin the detail, too much glare, the space stations look like a garbled mess as they are too detailed for the resolution and overall I just didn't enjoy it - I'd rather play it on triple screen. 360 videos were shite as were pictures, blurry, crap resolution and scale was way off, they all just look terrible. Some of the animations were meh, but then I started to explore more software and demos and started to get into it more. As I said, I just chilled out and got on with it instead of whinging and started having fun.

Now I love it. I only use it a few hours a week, but it's still cool and I can't wait for touch.

AltSpaceVR is fun as it VRTime for those drunken nights back from the pub lol.

There's all sorts to do and it will only get better.

So OP, it's the best of what we have now, and if you are old enough to remember which it sounds like you are, look back at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyjyWUrHsFc

I pretty much remember 99% of the games in that, and remember how incredible I thought each was (I remember thinking DOOM for me looked real, and GFX couldn't get any better at that point in my life). You'll also remember those VR arcade games where you sat in a plastic space ship thing looking around and VERY SLOW and VERY Simple polygons that cost thousands back then.

Yes time has moved on, but now have a Stereoscopic 3D, light VR HMD that is comfy, with great audio, 6 DOF with accurate tracking, wireless controllers and to be fair great visuals (with the right game) in the comfort of our own home, we are actually spoilt for tech in this day and age and I am glad I have seen thing develop from the BBC computers, atari / spectrum right through to now.. Things will only get better. Have a beer, take some time out, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Nipkim
Honored Guest

I purchased an Oculus Rift, it won't arrive until August, but I knew from reading on these boards that I shouldn't expect great quality, I've heard people say that when you go from the Rift to a real monitor it's like a graphics update to the game. But I bought the rift knowing all of that, just because I want to be totally immersed in a game and that doesn't bother me if I loose some video quality to get it.

You should just sell it right now while people are dying to get one, this is THE time to sell it, I imagine you might even make a profit from it if you sell to the right person I.E. desperate

Aroddo said:

@Zenbane
your screenshots look great. I wish it would look like that in virtual life.

However, it actually looks more like this.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Etrius said:

You can actually double the visible resolution on the Oculus using the SDK. I tried it and it works. It looks great but you need the GPU horsepower to pull it off. The video below shows you how to do it using the  Oculus SDK 1.4. Very simple.
You can set values from 1.0-2.0 (2.0=twice the resolution it ships with). The visual improvement is amazing, but unless you have a 980Ti or 1080 you will need to keep it to 1.25-1.4. See the video below for instructions. ADRIFT and Project Cars looks so much better. 

I was also bummed about the resolution of the Rift until I found this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsuLujzHK7w&list=FL6IGwT1f0Xk38AKYVCtES9A&index=1

Does anyone know if this damages your CV1 in anyway?

nrosko
Superstar
Is it like this demo? http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/
sde would not bother me if it like the above sitting 55cm away from monitor simulates cv1. The weird blurring when moving 'persistence' is not what i would expect & pretty awful. Also the AA is really bad in that demo & far more annoying than the sde for me. 

MysticReverie
Honored Guest
I'd say research what you are buying before you buy it.
then you should have no problems.

I'm very fussy about seeing pixels when I play games also, but I kind of know what to expect with the rift, and it's one of the only options available at present, plus it doesn't strain the GPU as much as say a 1080p or 4k would.

That said, it supposed to be a pretty immersive experience all the same.

JCat
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

Personally, I'm not disappointed with either the video nor audio, because I'm a "gamerphile" who started with the Atari 2600. For me, being part of gaming evolution and revolution is a glorious thing. The Oculus Rift could have shipped with the original Dungeon Master game...
.. and I would be perfectly happy due to the immersion factor. Virtually Reality is finally, truly here, for the first time.

Nailed it. I could be just as happy being chased around by blocky VR Robotron enemies as I would be exploring the world of Skyrim. I see similar debates on what should and shouldn't be VR game. For example, some say "Why is Lucky's Tale a VR game? That could have been a regular game to play on a monitor".  It's automatically assumed that we have to be walking around in first person for it to be considered VR.

Oh, and I truly miss the Dungeon Master days! I still remember that mummy's shriek. 

Lusca
Expert Protege
I'm pretty stoked for.VR but there's also good reason to wait, especially if you want a more refined VR experience.
https://youtu.be/7dD0uV_WHvg

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Must........feed..........troll.........nom nom
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

MorgenKell
Expert Protege

steveoz32 said:

This thread was going on forever but I get the OP's point.

I used a DK2, I expected there to be bad SDE, it was bad, not half as bad as the horrible narrow sweet spot and god awful problems for glasses users though, but it was a DEV KIT.

So I already kinda had my expectations set when I was waiting for CV1 when I saw the small increase in resolution.

However, when I received mine I kind of felt the same. The image quality wasn't great, not really the SDE as such as you get used to that and it is much better than previous generations (I hardly notice it now). But it was the crappy 'god rays' and smearing that really bothered me. I had read so much about them, but nothing can really prepare you for it until you see it through your own eyes.

I can understand for someone buying it as their first VR HMD in 2016 @ £500 that it might seem a bit shit in all honesty. And I questioned whether I wanted to keep it myself. In fact, I left it for two weeks sat around doing nothing whilst I was thinking of getting rid. But then I went back to it, and more content started coming, I found more stuff outside of the Oculus store I liked, and I just chilled out, had a beer and started having fun with it.

I guess it all depends on what you try and experience with it. For me I tried ED first and it was out of the question for me right away, the god rays and SDE ruin the detail, too much glare, the space stations look like a garbled mess as they are too detailed for the resolution and overall I just didn't enjoy it - I'd rather play it on triple screen. 360 videos were shite as were pictures, blurry, crap resolution and scale was way off, they all just look terrible. Some of the animations were meh, but then I started to explore more software and demos and started to get into it more. As I said, I just chilled out and got on with it instead of whinging and started having fun.

Now I love it. I only use it a few hours a week, but it's still cool and I can't wait for touch.

AltSpaceVR is fun as it VRTime for those drunken nights back from the pub lol.

There's all sorts to do and it will only get better.

So OP, it's the best of what we have now, and if you are old enough to remember which it sounds like you are, look back at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyjyWUrHsFc

I pretty much remember 99% of the games in that, and remember how incredible I thought each was (I remember thinking DOOM for me looked real, and GFX couldn't get any better at that point in my life). You'll also remember those VR arcade games where you sat in a plastic space ship thing looking around and VERY SLOW and VERY Simple polygons that cost thousands back then.

Yes time has moved on, but now have a Stereoscopic 3D, light VR HMD that is comfy, with great audio, 6 DOF with accurate tracking, wireless controllers and to be fair great visuals (with the right game) in the comfort of our own home, we are actually spoilt for tech in this day and age and I am glad I have seen thing develop from the BBC computers, atari / spectrum right through to now.. Things will only get better. Have a beer, take some time out, sit back and enjoy the ride.

This is the Story of my life Bro 😉