cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I love being called a White Knight, makes me feel buff and lengthy 😮

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
it does not seem u guys are very happy with the rift?..not a good sign. U guys are supposed to be blown away

maxpare79
Trustee
OK guys I will close the thread if you guys start attacking each other...keep it civil and watch the language 🙂
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nAV2016 said:

it does not seem u guys are very happy with the rift?..not a good sign. U guys are supposed to be blown away

I think that there's a good amount who are feeling happy/blown. Plenty of posts from new Rift owners pop up around here. They just don't make it to the top of the forum because they aren't controversial:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/38386/oculus-is-f-crazy

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/38278/rift-is-finally-here-love-it-first-problem-swea...

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/38717/new-rift-owner-stories

Happy threads end up at the back of the line.

Aroddo
Protege
... and yet you wonder how I could have the gotten the impression that the oculus is worth buying ...

LZoltowski
Champion
@Zenbane I get to feel blown? .... now I really cant wait 😛
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

primocell
Explorer

Aroddo said:

Buddy, I can tell anyone anything I want. We're not living in Trumpistan. 
And no one has to do what I say.

I am warning people from an underreported quality issue.

definitely a troll

ColinB
Adventurer
It should have been called a developers model for that indeed is what it is.
Selling it as anything else is definitely wrong.

It is the DK3 and as such it is still experimental and difficult.
Resolution and stability and the old screen door is still virtually the same.

This, as the OP is aiming at, is a perfectly true and honest approach !
Good on you, Aroddo !

xi11ix
Adventurer
@Aroddo The reason you're being called a troll is not because you spoke badly about the Rift but because you did so in a very harsh tone and even went so far as to tell people to cancel their preorders.

People don't like being told a decision they made is wrong, especially when it's based off opinion.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My day one impressions of the Rift were similar to Aroddo's, though not quite as flabbergasted.  I was expecting it to be pretty pitiful compared to my primary display, and it delivered, though it was really the comfort/fit that was my primary concern.

Long story short, over the next few days I adjusted the fit, tightness, angle, IPD, etc until I learned the quirks of the HMD and got the visual fidelity as good as I think is possible. (pretty big improvement over day 1)  Now when I jump into Farlands or Lucky's Tale, I still know it isn't as good as a perfect ideal of what virtual reality could be, but WOW - I don't give a single f**k because I'm there!  Add in some 1.5 pixel per pixel via the debug tool and you have a very respectable display that is one part of an immersion machine.

The Rift won't win any awards if you judge it only as a monitor.  However, in service to what it actually does, they work well enough that I haven't touched a 2D game since it arrived. (about 3 weeks now)  😃