New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Morrowrift - Morrowind VR (CV1/1.3 alpha! v. 3.0.2)

Comments

• BuckleBeanBuckleBean Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Bingo! That did it. If there's anything else i can help with, let me know.  
  • superllamasuperllama Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Awesome!! Thanks for testing it for me! I'll probably release 3.0.2 tonight with all those fixes plus a fix for 1.3333 aspects.
    EDIT: yep looks like 3.0.2 is ready for release, will be up shortly
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    nice 1 guys, certainly coming along.... im going to spend a bit more trying to get it going tomorrow, after I buy the steam version...

no wukkas
    Brain Burst
    Quick question, is there a way to disable monitor mirroring?
    Art3mis
    Currently no, the mirror is actually the original game window created by Morrowind which needs to stay open in order to receive input. However I could technically add an option to automatically force the window off-screen or something if there's a particular need for this kind of feature.
    Brain Burst
    I don't know if it's necessary. I tried upping the resolution quite a bit and the mirrored window was spreading onto my 2nd monitor. I noticed some hitching during head tracking and I wondered if the mirrored window had anything to do with it. It could be frame drops, but ATW should keep that from affecting head rotation. It's not a major concern, just wondering if there was a keyboard shortcut or something. 

I don't want to start adding things to your list, but another thing I noticed was audio, which I know the DK2 lacks. It's coming out of my speakers instead of the rift headphones. Now that I think of it, I could probably swap default devices in windows if needed. 
    Art3mis
    Oh yeah, the fact that the CV1 has headphones completely slipped my mind. I do have the Audio SDK but that would be very hard to test without access to a CV1.

I've actually been noticing those hitches too, though I'm not 100% sure what causes them. I found a way to make them worse, but not better... but I think I'm in the right place to figure out how to fix them.
    Brain Burst

So here's something for extra clarity. I've been running it at 1600x1024, but wanted to increase the resolution for obvious reasons. I tried 2560x1440 (my monitor's native res) and it indeed looked better. BUT the menus/dialog got smaller, which made it more difficult to read. So then I tried this:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37688/how-to-drastically-boost-oculus-rift-image#latest.

It worked great! Kept at 1600x1024, text was larger and thus more readable (though still a bit blurry probably due to the native textures/font) & everything else was much sharper. Essentially, it seems it gave the benefit of supersampling without scaling the menus.

• RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    just got it running. its fantastic. any way to get the crosshair follow look? would make interaction much easier
    Art3mis
    Unfortunately if the crosshair followed where you're looking the HUD and menus would too, which would stop you from being able to see your health bar and stuff since it would stay in the corner of your screen. If I can figure out where the game stores the player's aim angles though, I'll add a button you can press to move the crosshair to where you're looking, that way you still have the menu readability benefit of aim separate from headtracking, but can easily find the crosshair if you lose it.
  • Ragman09Ragman09 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited June 2016
    Edit: It seemed like avast antivirus was blocking it. I turned off shields and its no longer hanging. I'm just getting an error now saying "The procedure entry point Direct3DCreate9Ex could not be located in the dynamic link library d3d9.dll"
    -----------

I cannot get this to work at all. I get everything set up and ready but when I launch Morrowrift.exe nothing happens (not responding) and it just crashes my file explorer. Morrowrift.exe *32 is in my processes list and I can't close them using end process or end process tree. I have to restart my computer to get rid of them. I am using windows 7 64 bit. I even reinstalled the game of the year edition from steam and double, triple checked every single step word for word and it still doesn't work. MGE works and when I change settings they apply to the game. I have made sure all the exe files are running as administrator by default. I also have unknown sources enabled in Oculus home.
    Art3mis
    That's really weird, it sounds like it's not finding the original d3d9.dll somehow...
    Try installing this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
  • Ragman09Ragman09 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited June 2016
    That's really weird, it sounds like it's not finding the original d3d9.dll somehow...
    Try installing this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    I gave it a try and unzipped then installed the direct x files. I restarted my PC and tried to run it again but still get the same error. I have been reading on fixes for this error and it seemed to happen when nvidia drivers got updated which made skyim SKSE have the same error. People recommended uninstalling nvidia geforce experience which I also tried with no success. These posts are really old so I can't "rollback" my drivers a couple of years. I'll let you know if I find a solution but it seems odd since others are having no problems.
    Art3mis
    If I can figure out where the game stores the player's aim angles though, I'll add a button you can press to move the crosshair to where you're looking, that way you still have the menu readability benefit of aim separate from headtracking, but can easily find the crosshair if you lose it.
    that sounds perfect. any plans for gamepad support? and is there a recenter key?
    Art3mis
    Ragman09 said:
    I gave it a try and unzipped then installed the direct x files. I restarted my PC and tried to run it again but still get the same error.
    Does MGE work if you just run Morrowind.exe and not Morrowrift? 
    RABID said:any plans for gamepad support? and is there a recenter key?
    I've been playing it on a Steam controller and it works well, and you could use Joy2Key or something similar to make other gamepads work. If it's requested a lot I may try to add a simple mapping for xbox controllers since those ship with the CV1. The recenter key is Insert, which will be reconfigurable at some point in the future. Just pressing Insert will recenter yaw and position as expected. Hold Shift and press Insert if you want to recenter *everything* including Roll and Pitch-- this would be useful if you wanted to play laying down for some reason (I used to do this because I had back problems which is why I added this feature).
    Art3mis
    gamepad support would be great, ive got an omni on order and plan on playing standing up. i'll give a steam controller a try.
  • MaruluMarulu Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    I am using the Steam version of Morrowind, launching Morrowrift.exe only launches the launcher and then starts the game in desktop mode. This is because the Launcher.exe is hard coded in Steam. Is there a way to stop Steam from starting the launcher?

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,662 Valuable Player
    Here's another thumbs up for controller support if you can find the time. :)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Marulu said:
    I am using the Steam version of Morrowind, launching Morrowrift.exe only launches the launcher and then starts the game in desktop mode. This is because the Launcher.exe is hard coded in Steam. Is there a way to stop Steam from starting the launcher?

For me I had to make sure both Morrowrift.exe and Morrowind.exe were set to Run as Administrator after confirming I had MGE running properly, that skipped the launcher and made it work.

EDIT: Also, I recommend Joy2Key as a temporary solution for the lack of built-in controller support, it lets you map any gamepad to keyboard emulation and stuff.
    Art3mis
    Marulu said:

For me I had to make sure both Morrowrift.exe and Morrowind.exe were set to Run as Administrator after confirming I had MGE running properly, that skipped the launcher and made it work.
    I tried that but it still loaded the launcher.
    Art3mis
    Is MGE working? If you don't see the MGE information in the top left corner it may not be loading correctly and my hack relies on MGE's to work properly.
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    There is no info in the top left, but I have all dependency installed and did everything as instructed.

EDIT: Even reinstalling didn´t help.
    Art3mis
    If you don't see this:

in the top left then MGE isn't working. Are you using MGE 3.8.0 and have you run MGEgui (as administrator) and set Antialiasing to None? 
  • TylerDurdenTylerDurden Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited June 2016
    Hi,

Nice Work, superllama. But when i begin a new game and after i leave the ship. I can't continue because a big head always appears in front of me.  :)

It seems that there is a menu behind the head but i can't do anything only look oround moving my head, move the cursor with the mouse and press shift+tab to see the console.

I'm playing the steam version of the game (i bought it yesterday).

EDIT: I have a CV1.
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    This is a known bug, as seen in the OP:
    superllama said:
    • Race Selection Bug - The race selection menu is effectively unusable-- I recommend creating your character outside of VR mode and then running Morrowrift afterward and loading a save.
    I'm not sure why it happens, it's probably just the game doing something weird that I'll need to spend a lot of time figuring out and handling properly, but that's the only menu that's affected by the bug so if you can create your character first and then load the save in VR it's pretty easy to get past it.
  • Geffen111Geffen111 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hi,
    Really appreciate the effort you've put into this superllama.
    I've hit a roadblock and was wondering if you have any ideas: I can't get MGE working no matter what I try - it runs fine but there are no changes when I run Morrowind.exe and I don't see any text at the top left.
    MGE 3.8.2 works without any problems, but Morrowrift doesn't seem to work with that version. I've started with a clean install of MW and have looked through some MGE documentation without luck!
    Any ideas would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    What happens when you try to run Morrowrift with MGE 3.8.2? If it's just not rendering correctly or something you may be able to tweak settings to fix it, if it's not doing anything at all or if it's crashing I might have to add support for it. It sounds like if you got 3.8.2 working it's not any of the usual problems like not running as administrator or having read-only files in the data folder or not having run MGEgui.exe yet... I'll take a look at 3.8.2 soon as it's possible it added more support for things (this may be related Marulu's problem too, actually).
    NerveGear
    When I run Morrowrift after getting MGE 3.8.2 going, it simply runs normally and not with stereo images. Am I maybe missing something simple like having to run it from SteamVR or something?
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Just to confirm, all your exe's (MGEgui, Morrowind, Morrowind Launcher, Morrowrift) are set to Run as Administrator on the Compatibility tabs, right? That's required for the steam version to accept code injection properly. Like I said, I'll try installing 3.8.2 myself later today and look to see if I need to modify anything to make it recognize it in case it's not a setup issue.
    NerveGear
    Yes all of the exe's are set to run as administrator. Can't for the life of me work out why 3.8.0 is doing nothing.
    Again, thanks for all of your efforts.