Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Comments

• nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    it does not seem u guys are very happy with the rift?..not a good sign. U guys are supposed to be blown away
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,779
    Project 2501
    OK guys I will close the thread if you guys start attacking each other...keep it civil and watch the language :-)
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,091 Valuable Player
    nAV2016 said:
    it does not seem u guys are very happy with the rift?..not a good sign. U guys are supposed to be blown away
    I think that there's a good amount who are feeling happy/blown. Plenty of posts from new Rift owners pop up around here. They just don't make it to the top of the forum because they aren't controversial:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/38386/oculus-is-f-crazy

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/38278/rift-is-finally-here-love-it-first-problem-sweating-glasses-fogging-up-any-tipps

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/38717/new-rift-owner-stories

Happy threads end up at the back of the line.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • AroddoAroddo Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    ... and yet you wonder how I could have the gotten the impression that the oculus is worth buying ...
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    @Zenbane I get to feel blown? .... now I really cant wait :P
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • primocellprimocell Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    Aroddo said:
    Buddy, I can tell anyone anything I want. We're not living in Trumpistan. 
    And no one has to do what I say.

I am warning people from an underreported quality issue.

definitely a troll
  • ColinBColinB Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    It should have been called a developers model for that indeed is what it is.
    Selling it as anything else is definitely wrong.

It is the DK3 and as such it is still experimental and difficult.
    Resolution and stability and the old screen door is still virtually the same.

This, as the OP is aiming at, is a perfectly true and honest approach !
    Good on you, Aroddo !
  • xi11ixxi11ix Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    @Aroddo The reason you're being called a troll is not because you spoke badly about the Rift but because you did so in a very harsh tone and even went so far as to tell people to cancel their preorders.

People don't like being told a decision they made is wrong, especially when it's based off opinion.
  • iczerjonesiczerjones Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016
    My day one impressions of the Rift were similar to Aroddo's, though not quite as flabbergasted.  I was expecting it to be pretty pitiful compared to my primary display, and it delivered, though it was really the comfort/fit that was my primary concern.

Long story short, over the next few days I adjusted the fit, tightness, angle, IPD, etc until I learned the quirks of the HMD and got the visual fidelity as good as I think is possible. (pretty big improvement over day 1)  Now when I jump into Farlands or Lucky's Tale, I still know it isn't as good as a perfect ideal of what virtual reality could be, but WOW - I don't give a single f**k because I'm there!  Add in some 1.5 pixel per pixel via the debug tool and you have a very respectable display that is one part of an immersion machine.

The Rift won't win any awards if you judge it only as a monitor.  However, in service to what it actually does, they work well enough that I haven't touched a 2D game since it arrived. (about 3 weeks now)  =)
    ColinB said:

Good on you, Aroddo !
    If the OP was being perfectly true and honest, he wouldn't have needed to Photoshop one of my own images just to pretend that the Oculus imagery is bad. But you probably know that already; you're just excited that someone said "poopoo" on the internet.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2016
    Zenbane said:
    ColinB said:

Good on you, Aroddo !
    If the OP was being perfectly true and honest, he wouldn't have needed to Photoshop one of my own images just to pretend that the Oculus imagery is bad. But you probably know that already; you're just excited that someone said "poopoo" on the internet.
    I did that to illustrate as close as possible what I was seeing, since simply doing a screenshot only shows you the picture generated by a graphics card. And shooting a photo directly from the rift is kinda difficult.
    Get it? I was delivering a visual representation of what I was actually seeing, and not what data the graphics card delivered!
    And since you were part of the whole conversation, you knew that perfectly well.
    It is extremely dishonest from you, to use that as proof of my dishonesty.
    And now you are even lashing out at others because you can't bear that your beloved Rift is less than perfect.
    Classy.

Brain Burst
    xi11ix said:
    @Aroddo The reason you're being called a troll is not because you spoke badly about the Rift but because you did so in a very harsh tone and even went so far as to tell people to cancel their preorders.

People don't like being told a decision they made is wrong, especially when it's based off opinion.
    Actually, I told people to cancel their preorders and try it first hand somewhere, and then decide if the Rift is for them.
    Which is basically what I am being chastised for for not doing myself by the very same people that call me a troll.

Brain Burst
    My day one impressions of the Rift were similar to Aroddo's, though not quite as flabbergasted.  I was expecting it to be pretty pitiful compared to my primary display, and it delivered, though it was really the comfort/fit that was my primary concern.

Long story short, over the next few days I adjusted the fit, tightness, angle, IPD, etc until I learned the quirks of the HMD and got the visual fidelity as good as I think is possible. (pretty big improvement over day 1)  Now when I jump into Farlands or Lucky's Tale, I still know it isn't as good as a perfect ideal of what virtual reality could be, but WOW - I don't give a single f**k because I'm there!  Add in some 1.5 pixel per pixel via the debug tool and you have a very respectable display that is one part of an immersion machine.

The Rift won't win any awards if you judge it only as a monitor.  However, in service to what it actually does, they work well enough that I haven't touched a 2D game since it arrived. (about 3 weeks now)  =)
    Still have to try it with contacts or find another way to prevent fogging. I hope it's just because of the weather we have right now, but for me the Rift is unusable with glasses at the moment.
    Aroddo said:
    I did that to illustrate as close as possible what I was seeing, since simply doing a screenshot only shows you the picture generated by a graphics card. And shooting a photo directly from the rift is kinda difficult.
    Get it? I was delivering a visual representation of what I was actually seeing, and not what data the graphics card delivered!
    And since you were part of the whole conversation, you knew that perfectly well.
    It is extremely dishonest from you, to use that as proof of my dishonesty.
    And now you are even lashing out at others because you can't bear that your beloved Rift is less than perfect.
    Classy.

If you have a camera on your phone then you can just take a pic by putting it up to one of the lenses. People do it all the time. I'm sure the reason you haven't is because you're just kinda talking poopoo.

I'm definitely not lashing out at folks, but you're definitely lashing out at phantoms.
  • iczerjonesiczerjones Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Aroddo said:
    Still have to try it with contacts or find another way to prevent fogging. I hope it's just because of the weather we have right now, but for me the Rift is unusable with glasses at the moment.
    Yeah, that stinks.  The cavity in the HMD really does heat up quite a bit, luckily I've only ever used it in my contacts.  Hopefully you can give that a shot and spend some time finding that perfect balance of fit, comfort, and clarity.  Also give your IPD adjustment a second glance after you've spent some time finding that personal sweet spot.  Mine changed from day 1 to day 5 by about 5mm. (64mm -> 69mm)  When you've got it right, the 4 lines on both axes should be distinct and clear.
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    edited June 2016
    @aroddo when you say the display is crap, what are you comparing it to? Personal feeling? Tell me right now what other VR HMD has a way better display that would make Rift's display "crap".

And dont you dare compare it to 1080P,4K monitors/TVs cause that is just pure ignorance and makes you look very uneducated about VR.

Apples to apples man, it's like saying a loud dangerous space shuttle that takes you into space is crap, when its the only transportation that can acheive this, when you were imaginging it to be the luxury of a personal jet.
    Brain Burst
    @tranceology3 I didn't originially compare it to anything! I gave a verbatim description of my first impression.
    But if you want to know what I expected: A close up look at a modern smartphone screen. Because - surprise - those are effectively handheld 1080p monitors with a higher pixel density!

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,248 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    @Aroddo - To be fair you have given use your first impression, but you know nothing about how VR works. That's the reason why you had such high expectations is all I can say. Just contact Oculus for a refund if you're not happy.
    Brain Burst
    lovethis said:
    @Aroddo - To be fair you have given use your first impression, but you know nothing about how VR works. That's the reason why you had such high expectations is all I can say. Just contact Oculus for a refund if you're not happy.
    "you know nothing about how VR works." 
    What the fuck is that supposed to mean? The issue is the crappy display and nothing else.

edited June 2016
    The real issue is a choice between: your crappy PC, your crappy eyesight, your crappy posts.

I actually believe that it is a fine combination of the three.
  • protieprotie Posts: 22
    Aroddo said:
    ...with a pixel density higher than a retina display,...on my Macbook Retina 

That is all I needed to read to realize there is no point in having an intelligent conversation with the OP.
    Anyone that has fallen for the 'retina display' marketing ploy is clearly a very uninformed individual. 
    edited June 2016
    I'm pretty sure the OP is using Google Cardboard, that's been painted to look like a Rift. And he plugged it in to a VCR that's sending the original Tron film to his Radio Shack "all-in-one."
    Brain Burst
    so that's how you got your 1250 posts ... by trolling and accusing others of trolling.
    hypocrite.
  • MorgenKellMorgenKell Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Ok I forfeit ;)
    @Aroddo you have been called a troll by several people throughout this entire discussion. I'm okay with you ignoring them in favor of my glorious attention, but let's not get the gender roles confused here: you're the Troll, I'm the White Knignt.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,114 Volunteer Moderator
    Taaadaaaa = and I'm the 50 year old fanboy = taaadaaaa
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• jademanjademan Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2016
    I just have to say, complaining about the Rift having a "crappy display" is like complaining in 1908 that the Ford Model T is too slow. It is literally the best tech achievable right now at a consumer price point. Either be happy with the current state of tech on this planet, or don't be... But don't get mad at the company for making the best possible mass-consumer product available to you. Enjoy what we have, and be excited for what the future will bring. They're aren't just hording the 16k screens from you... They just aren't available yet.

Anyway, rant over... I do hope you find after more use and experimenting with different games/experiences that the Rift may have room to improve, but is magical new tech and worth keeping.  But, if not, there will be advances in future years that may hit your buttons.
  • arkemiffoarkemiffo Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    I think the display is horrible compared to the price of the DK2. I'm not expecting 4k or anything like that. I knew what I was getting myself into, but this...
    In my experience the DK2 beats the CV1 by miles at this point. There's massive whitebleed in the CV1 where there was just little in the DK2. Whoever said the screendooreffect was almost gone was lying through their teeth. It's still just as noticeable as in the DK2.
    I was using the DK2 for about a year and a half. I wasn't expecting wonders.
    I feel I just payed almost double the amount for less quality.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,524 Volunteer Moderator
    You're crazy if you think the DK2 is better than the CV1 in any way. But, it still works--you can keep on using your DK2 if you prefer it, and sell your CV1 for a profit.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,847
    Project 2501
    Wow someone didn't do there homework. The rift is awesome. The 1st game councels were low resolution but fun. They improved over time. The same will happen with vr. If you did your homework you would have waited for another generation or two. You have only yourself to blame. Go back to your monitor.I'll enjoy playing games in a virtual world.
This discussion has been closed.