cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The real issue is a choice between: your crappy PC, your crappy eyesight, your crappy posts.

I actually believe that it is a fine combination of the three.

protie
Honored Guest

Aroddo said:

...with a pixel density higher than a retina display,...on my Macbook Retina 

That is all I needed to read to realize there is no point in having an intelligent conversation with the OP.
Anyone that has fallen for the 'retina display' marketing ploy is clearly a very uninformed individual. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm pretty sure the OP is using Google Cardboard, that's been painted to look like a Rift. And he plugged it in to a VCR that's sending the original Tron film to his Radio Shack "all-in-one."

Aroddo
Protege
so that's how you got your 1250 posts ... by trolling and accusing others of trolling.
hypocrite.

MorgenKell
Expert Protege
Ok I forfeit 😉

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@Aroddo you have been called a troll by several people throughout this entire discussion. I'm okay with you ignoring them in favor of my glorious attention, but let's not get the gender roles confused here: you're the Troll, I'm the White Knignt.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Taaadaaaa = and I'm the 50 year old fanboy = taaadaaaa
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

jademan
Heroic Explorer
I just have to say, complaining about the Rift having a "crappy display" is like complaining in 1908 that the Ford Model T is too slow. It is literally the best tech achievable right now at a consumer price point. Either be happy with the current state of tech on this planet, or don't be... But don't get mad at the company for making the best possible mass-consumer product available to you. Enjoy what we have, and be excited for what the future will bring. They're aren't just hording the 16k screens from you... They just aren't available yet.

Anyway, rant over... I do hope you find after more use and experimenting with different games/experiences that the Rift may have room to improve, but is magical new tech and worth keeping.  But, if not, there will be advances in future years that may hit your buttons.

arkemiffo
Explorer
I think the display is horrible compared to the price of the DK2. I'm not expecting 4k or anything like that. I knew what I was getting myself into, but this...
In my experience the DK2 beats the CV1 by miles at this point. There's massive whitebleed in the CV1 where there was just little in the DK2. Whoever said the screendooreffect was almost gone was lying through their teeth. It's still just as noticeable as in the DK2.
I was using the DK2 for about a year and a half. I wasn't expecting wonders.
I feel I just payed almost double the amount for less quality.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
You're crazy if you think the DK2 is better than the CV1 in any way. But, it still works--you can keep on using your DK2 if you prefer it, and sell your CV1 for a profit.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo