cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

inovator
Consultant
Wow someone didn't do there homework. The rift is awesome. The 1st game councels were low resolution but fun. They improved over time. The same will happen with vr. If you did your homework you would have waited for another generation or two. You have only yourself to blame. Go back to your monitor.I'll enjoy playing games in a virtual world.

Chewie71
Adventurer
So far 7 pages to vehemently defend something only half of you have even tried, all for the benefit of maintaining the ongoing circlejerk session in your very own vacuum packed echo chamber. Why are you here if not to aggrandize yourselves to this mirrored belief system reflecting infinitely yet displaying nothing new?

xi11ix
Adventurer

Aroddo said:

xi11ix said:

@Aroddo The reason you're being called a troll is not because you spoke badly about the Rift but because you did so in a very harsh tone and even went so far as to tell people to cancel their preorders.

People don't like being told a decision they made is wrong, especially when it's based off opinion.

Actually, I told people to cancel their preorders and try it first hand somewhere, and then decide if the Rift is for them.
Which is basically what I am being chastised for for not doing myself by the very same people that call me a troll.

Yes, but it's how you said it. You said to cancel first then try it rather than trying it and then canceling.

These details contribute to the tone of your post. These things matter because online there is no vocal tone, cadence, body language, or facial expressions to help convey your point. All people have are the words on the page so they will naturally attempt to extrapolate the missing information.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
lol - @Chewie71 read all 7 pages and then button mashed an angry response. The OP has some decent influential talent on the lesser minds, I must admit.

Things the OP did in this thread:

1) Claim that the Rift has bad imagery without showing a single photo of his Rift nor its imagery.
2) Inform readers that purchasing a Rift is a bad choice, as clearly shown by his missing imagery.
3) Plagiarize and Photoshop my own Rift screenshots, and re-post them as his own imagery.
4) Call everyone poopoo heads.
5) Complain about being chastised for all of the above.

nrosko
Superstar
Yep could of just said 'i'm hugely disappointed with the quality of the display etc etc, maybe try the display if you can' An element of ranting in some of your post & that is never going to go down well. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Aroddo said:

lovethis said:

@Aroddo - To be fair you have given use your first impression, but you know nothing about how VR works. That's the reason why you had such high expectations is all I can say. Just contact Oculus for a refund if you're not happy.

"you know nothing about how VR works." 
What the fuck is that supposed to mean? The issue is the crappy display and nothing else.

The displays are as good as they can be right right now, That's why Vive and all the others devices apart from Gear VR are using them. We are just starting to see better graphics cards that could use a higher display, but they cost a lot of money and VR would be dead if it relied on everyone getting this graphics card. The display will get better in time but they need the hardware to run them. What we have now is an introductory into VR a bit like when television was introduced in 1936  and has since progressed. 

The reason you don't get a clear image isn't because it's crappy display, it's because you have 2 lenses very close to the screen and that's the way VR works unfortunately. This will get better as hardware becomes available and more affordable otherwise VR would be a rich kids toy. It's already quite expensive as it is, so god only knows what the price would be with 2 4k screens and the Pc to run it all.

Bel-garath
Expert Protege
This thread is ridiculous. The OP has stupid expectations and is ignoring that the fact that the resolution is just fine for Gen 1 and immersion on a completely new platform. Every friend I have shown either my GearVR or Rift to has been blown away by what they see. Not one person has said, "OMG the resolution is horrible". Does it need to improve for subsequent releases, absolutely. Does the resolution take away from just how unbelievably fantastic the immersion quality is for a brand new way of viewing things, absolutely not. OP, get a grip, you are being pathetically absurd and maybe the reason why you are in the major minority for folks who have reviewed this who are both consumers and professional reviewers is because we just don't agree. Boo Hoo...my resolution for a new platform isn't 4K..waaaaaaaaah lol.

neocaleric
Protege
Read the post and a couple pages from the replies.  Not sure if he answered a couple questions concerning his issues with the Rift so far. 

1. Do you wear glasses? Have you updated your prescription recently? I do use glasses myself. Supposedly need them cause i see a blurry mess from afar, but i can read stuff close just fine... or so i thought. Thing is my vision is quite blurry on the Rift without my glasses. Seems the screen is so close that my eyes can't focus properly anyway. I use my glasses now and all is fine.

2. Did you properly configure your headset? This has a massive effect on the quality you see on the display. Try to move it up and down your face and also use the slider on the bottom right of the headset (while on your head) to adjust the distance between the screens. By properly configuring those the image will be as good as the device intended.

Now, as people have already said, quality won't be super crisp like watching a full-hd normal monitor. You do see a lower quality image but it's nothing like what you describe.  Try the free app/video from the store called Introduction to VR or something like that. This video has really high quality.  Most video streaming apps like Within have even lower resolution and compression that makes it really not worth it.

I hope you find a solution to the problems you've found on your headset. If the intended quality still doesn't seem good enough for you, better wait at least a couple years for the next generation of VR devices. And for sure you'll be able to sell your Rift even with a profit right now.  People want to have this device. And most won't mind the lower resolution.

ColinB
Adventurer
Good on you, Arrodo for persisting with your thread.

Surrounded by oculus fan boys and child like ignorant stupid bullies, you keep the facts straight.
Well done and more power to you.

My gripe is the dishonesty and arrogance of Oculus.
Pretending that the "CV1" is a consumer or commercial product.
Plug and play even !!
Maybe if they had truthfully named and described it as another development kit we may have given them more leeway.
So far the most excitement seems to be in the anticipation of delivery.
In reality this contraption is very easily left to gather dust.
Keep it up, Arrodo.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
"Good on you."

That's my favorite phrase this month lol

@ColinB really hates "ignorant stupid bullies." Almost as much as @Arrodo hates actual "facts."