cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Light Rays are bad

benplace
Rising Star
I got my Rift yesterday and the smearing/light rays on CV1 are WAY WAY worse than what I was expecting from reviews I have read...
I really hope they come up with a way to fix this.  Playing Farlands the logo is smeared horribly, I even get smearing in the home environment where lights are around the room.  It is so bad I am embarrassed to show CV1 to my brother when he comes over this weekend.  (He has seen my DK2 without the problem)

148 REPLIES 148

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I need to go do some testing here in a bit, but I felt like that recent update (1.5) managed to reduce the already minimal god rays issue. I saw them the most when Farlands was loading, and with the Showdown loading screen.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
What annoys me about the God Rays, is how they create disco lights around the sides of the screens. When I move my head to look at things it's like been in a disco. Also, it creates a big light contrast around anything white on a dark background and makes things look blurred all around it. I'm trying to live with it, but I just find it annoying and preferred the SDE in DK2, if I'm honest. Sadly, I've sold my DK2 , but that's what I'd be playing Technolust and ED with right now if I had it. I'm not sure what the guys at Oculus were thinking when they were looking into the headset and saw these Godrays. Games like Technolust would have been so much better without this horrible effect.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@lovethis - where are you seeing God Rays in Technolust? That's one of the first games I bought and beat, and I often use that as an example of a game where God Rays are either extremely minimal or non-existent. I use 2 screenshots to illustrate what it takes to make "mild" God Rays appear in Technolust, which can be seen here:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36062/games-apps-screenshots

So where exactly do you see God Rays with this game?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Zenbane - I see them all around the edges of my screen. I have created a support ticket about it because I'm not sure if these are the "God Rays" people are talking about. The ones you point out don't put me off, it's the ones around the screen that I'm having difficulty getting used to. I'm getting like a disco effect all around the screen edges.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Oh I see. Yeah maybe it's an issue with your Rift then. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly. Definitely keep everyone posted!

Lusca
Expert Protege
Got my CV1 2 days ago and the god rays are not really that bad (even in Elite). Mind you, as soon as I plugged it in, I got prompted to upgrade to 1.5, so I never saw what it was like before (using DK2 until now). I actually find antialiasing to help slightly as that reduces high contrast jaggies.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I've just reinstalled my Rift and set the ipd thing again. Seems to be a lot better now when playing Dead Secret and other games.

Applecorp
Rising Star

keithianw said:

How much time have you put into not staring at the logo and title page and seeing the problem is basically non existent inside the experiences themselves? That is what almost every Rift owner has stated...so far.

This, I only ever see it on menu screens with text on a black background. A complete non issue.

Iblysi
Heroic Explorer
I have not had any problems with this, sure you see them a bit when you have black screen with a logo of a game popping up. but that is about it. I do not see them in game ever.

SnappEd
Honored Guest
Sadly, as I've been using my Vive for 2 months now before I received my rift this morning I find the "god rays" incredibly noticeable. There are some slight light artifacts on the Vive so I expected the same. The effect is much worse. This is not to say that it's there all of the time, in fact in bright scenes it's pretty much non existent but it does really bug me elsewhere. Is there no way to lessen the effect?