cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kairo - Full game on Steam with Rift support

perrin
Honored Guest
Hi folks,

I've just added what I'd probably call experimental level support of the Occulus Rift to my game Kairo. I've just released a patch so anyone with the Steam version of the game will be able to activate Rift support from the settings menus.

I've not yet recompiled the demo versions of the game with this support in, but I'll get that done in the next couple of days. So everyone will be able to try it out without having to buy the game.

I put a fair amount of time into getting this working, an especially large amount of time rebuilding how my GUI was done, but I don't really consider it complete yet. However a lot of people had been wanting to try it out so I figured I'd release it as it stands now and take feedback to make improvements.

[edit: Rift support is currently only available for the PC and Mac versions of the game]

Steam Link: Kairo

Screenshots:

83 REPLIES 83

Walky
Explorer
"edulinares" wrote:
About the Drift, isn't SDK2.3 suppose to greatly reduce it?

Question to the creator, is Kairo using SDK 2.3 for drift correction and IPD profile settings?

I think that magnetometer correction was added long ago to the SDK, so I guess Unity should have adopted it by now. Maybe the Kairo devs are using an older Unity version?.

bp2008
Protege
You sir have earned another sale!

owenwp
Expert Protege
Having your movement direction stay "centered" when you turn your head feels pretty unnatural when you have no visual centering cue whatsoever, no body presence. The drift makes it extremely uncomfortable in a matter of seconds if you are looking around a lot. I find that if I just look up and behind me a couple times the view drifts by about 15-20 degrees when there is no correction.

I think it would be much better if your movement just followed your view, even with drift correction. Either that or add a body so we can see which way is forward.

Also counter-rotating your head to center your body to your view feels really bad.

Plink
Honored Guest
Address some of the issues people are mentioning, and I'll buy it.

whoisonline
Explorer
My take on Kairo?

So far, it's just a mystery, I thought I'd have a look at it thru the Rift first, and YES .. it looks great so I'll be coming back to this one 🙂 I'm planning to going for a venture very soon.

Keep up the fantastic work, I have a feeling I'm going to be visiting your game rather often over the next few months.
I've posted on http://virtualreality.com.au/2013/08/03/oculus-rift-sneak-peek-kairo/

mrgreen72
Superstar
Bought it. First impressions are great but there are several problems to fix.

Looking forward to see Steam download updates! 🙂

paulohotline
Explorer
Cool work dude, getting game on steam now, thanks for adding rift support!
[Paulo Carvalho Mobile - 204-294-4389] http://www.pinballowners.com/paulohotline "Life is like pinball, your always trying to keep your balls in play, but in the end, they drop down the middle :)"

edulinares
Honored Guest
Just played an hour of it. A fascinating experience. I like how you can walk forward while looking all around. It's terrible to control on the keyboard but much better on the controller.

I cranked the FOV to 90, which initialy felt better, but soon later I started feeling sick and had to quit, but I forgot what the default value was, someone please tell me.

Also I wonder if the author could put on higher AA options, so much aliasing is kinda off-puting.

Dexter111
Honored Guest
Okay, a bit of feedback after trying it for a while.

The language chooser at the beginning seemed to pop up again over and over the several times I tried to start the game, which doesn't display right on the Rift.

The Aliasing is rather bad at the native resolution of the Rift (1280x800), choosing a higher resolution (1920x1080 or similar) and letting it downscale seems to improve this quite a bit but makes menus and similar nearly unreadable.

Also what everyone else said about the movement keys being weird after a while, maybe you can add a toggle option for "walk where you look/walk forward".

goettel
Explorer
Won't buy !

..since I got it a couple of months back and parked it in hopes of Rift support. 8-)

Top news, reinstalling as we speak.

Edit: as hoped for, the spaces truly come alive in the Rift, highly recommended.

Maybe slightly off-topic (or even off-forum), but while your here: the sudden cut-off of the music between rooms is really grating and immersion-breaking, would it be possible to add fades between the tracks - perhaps even with a user definable fade length ?

In any case, just moved this to near the top of the list of spaces to show the Rift off with.