cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

See when I do that nothing really changes. It does "feel" better - but I can't really say the image quality is that much better. Maybe I am in just the right sweet spot I can't really tell the difference?

If so - then that means a few things:
1) Not everyone that's defending has the right setup.
2) The hardware or software they are using is for some reason holding them back.
3) Users are being too picky. Pickiness doesn't translate to everyone.

I think there is a lot of truth to that bolded part of # 2.  Some of the video apps, for example, are rather excruciating when you've used nothing else.  Also, some of the apps really do benefit quite a bit in some almost intangible way (like you describe) from higher supersampling.  (or at least in a hard to measure way when in the HMD, other than 'it looks / feels better')

Farlands has been one of my go-to's for this complaint as it has a great level of polish and actually seems to embrace the hardware that IS there to make the best of it.

TwoHedWlf
said:

Zenbane said:
Also, "good on you" is not a real phrase. 

Good on you is a very common and real phrase, likely of irish or Gaelic origin.

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2009/05/good-on-ya-mate.html

I'm originally from the midwest of the United Stated (Chicago) and now live in California - I use 'good on you' ALL THE TIME!  😃  Probably picked it up from Doctor Who or my Brit coworkers, but it is a nicely descriptive remark of 'you've done well' or 'good for you!'.

dippaau
Honored Guest
@Zenbane the personal attacks (love how you compare a common phrase aussies use to a Trumpism) are not required mate, drop it and get off your high horse. Provide constructive criticism and show tolerance towards those with differing opinions to you!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Isn't the Aussie phrase "good on ya mate/cobber" LOL
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

FlareMW
Explorer
I got my Rift this weekend and I must admit, I did feel a tad let down by the resolution at first but at the same time, I'm not really sure what I was expecting. I knew it was 1080p but I guess I misjudged how obvious the pixels would be once the image is so close to your face. This is something I haven't really seen brought up often on many sites and when you watch recorded video footage, VR game trailers, or see screenshots, it often ends up looking sharper than what you see on the headset itself so I get why someone might have higher expectations. 

For me personally, I find the resolution easy to look past once I'm actually in a game though so I don't think it's a big issue. Screen and graphics technology need time to improve anyway, it is going to be a while before we can get 4K/90Hz displays and the graphics cards to support them so I get why 1080p is the way forward for now. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm not sure why everyone is talking about 4k because CV2 won't be 4k. They will steady improve resolution bit by bit and that will be the selling point.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@TwoHedWlf - I have the GTX 980 and love the experience. But I also notice that I can't play Chronos on Epic graphic settings. If you have the option to upgrade I would go 1080.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

@TwoHedWlf - I have the GTX 980 and love the experience. But I also notice that I can't play Chronos on Epic graphic settings. If you have the option to upgrade I would go 1080.

Yeah, I think I will.  I'm slowly saving up for it.  My wife only gives me a $50/week allowance,  takes a little while to save up $1300.

maxpare79
Trustee
Alright OP made his point and this thread is clearly going nowhere except starting to generate insults from one side to the other, I am closing it, and warning all of you guys to act like adults in future thread even when you disagree with someone. Also don't use words that you wouldn't want to read...We are a kid's friendly forum 😉 
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Robcart944
Explorer

Aroddo said:

Oh yeah, that's another thing where the Rift sucks: If you wear glasses in the Rift, they immediately fog over. 
I don't need my eyes examined again, but you clearly need a surgeon to remove your head from out of your arse.

Wow, what an ignoramus. He clearly is lacking in the technical progress of today's computers and their displays. There has been hundreds of sites talking about the expected resolutions and there has even been YouTube videos showing exactly what resolution you would be seeing through the lenses. You got exactly what the latest technology can give at this time and for the costs of early ownership.

To come on this forum Bitching about getting something he didn't do his homework on is just plain immaturity. He needs to go look in the mirror and go blame himself instead of trying to blame everybody else.

mbze430
Rising Star

steveoz32 said:

Watching this video is like walking down memory lane, damn I am old.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe