cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Chronos worth buying at the sale price?

Dumpy4Life
Honored Guest
How is the game? Worth the $40?
22 REPLIES 22

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
That feels like a loaded question lol

I think it's worth buying at $60, as it can be compared to similarly priced RPG's like "South Park: The Stick of Truth," which has received great acclaim yet caps out at around 12-15 hours of gameplay.

So if that sounds reasonable then hell yeah Chronos is worth $40. You not only get a fantastic RPG with fun combat strategies, amazing graphics, and definitive storytelling... but you also get pure VR immersion at its finest. Despite the 3rd person camera view, when your character is 1,000 feet in the air walking across a morphing sky bridge... the chances that your butt cheeks will be clenched is fairly high.

By the same token, there are posts on this forum from people who think that VR has started a horrible trend where games are priced similar to an Elder Scrolls title (Skyrim, Morrowind, etc) but without the hundreds of hours of content. So if you're one of those... you may regret the purchase.

My favorite thing to point out is that even on reddit, Chronos gets high praises, and they seem to hate nice things 😮

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought it was well worth the $50 I paid for it.  I wouldn't hesitate at $40.

It's one of the best experiences in the Rift.

Keylo415
Expert Protege

How is the game? Worth the $40?

It's a must buy period!

jon
Heroic Explorer
Bought it on sale and played for about an hour thus far... it's amazing.  I'll be binge playing it along side Eve Valkyrie multiplayer as I have the time.

It's easily one of the best VR games I've tried on either Rift or Vive.

Flowrock
Explorer
Bought it before the sale. Well worth the price. Tough game. You'll be playing for a while.

JettStiles
Adventurer
Hate to be the the only one saying something against it but tbh I wasn't that impressed with Chronos (granted, I haven't completed it yet).

Doesn't quite feel like its worth the full price to me - feels a bit like the programmers thought "Hey, we have a mediocre game that noone would normally buy - lets make a VR version instead so it'll get sold."

I mean the graphics are clunky, the character movement reminds me a bit of the old 'Alone in Dark'-series and the RPG element has the complexity of a 'Tetris' clone. Noone would buy this game if it wasn't VR.

Blame my strange taste but imo it wasn't worth the 50 bucks I spent.
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Noone would buy this game if it wasn't VR.

How could anyone know that if there isn't a non-VR version of the game that is sitting with 0$ in sales?  I can list a ton of games that are both mediocre and terrible yet sold more than 1 copy.

I can think of a few things that are worth criticizing in Chronos: such as the lack of skill tree which is essential in a true RPG; and the linear path the character must take (no major player choices). Those are just two examples of a more fact-based approach to criticism, as opposed to just a blanket claim that the game offers little more than a "tetris clone."

It kinda feels like you said, "hey, I have a mediocre approach to describing a game in a way that noone would normally read - I'll make a post instead so that it gets noticed." 😘

JettStiles
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

How could anyone know that if there isn't a non-VR version of the game that is sitting with 0$ in sales?  I can list a ton of games that are both mediocre and terrible yet sold more than 1 copy.

It kinda feels like you said, "hey, I have a mediocre approach to describing a game in a way that noone would normally read - I'll make a post instead so that it gets noticed." 😘

I don't claim to know that it won't sell - hey, if I could predict such things I'd be rich - but if you asked me for a guess: Yes, I do believe this game would be a shelfsitter (especially for the original price)

As for my intentions on the post above: The OP wanted to know if the game is worth buying. Instead of just saying "Nope" I stated a few reasons why it isn't.

Difference of opinion -- you don't have to like it 😛
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Since you didn't actually list any real reasons I figure you could use some examples to help you distinguish between "nope" and "reasons."  B)