cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Chronos worth buying at the sale price?

Dumpy4Life
Honored Guest
How is the game? Worth the $40?
22 REPLIES 22

Iblysi
Heroic Explorer
I was in the same boat as you. Wasn't really sure if i would like the game for the $40 price tag. But yesterday i went for it. Played it for about an hour or so and i really enjoyed it. It's a mix between Zelda and the Souls games. I would say have a look on Youtube for folks playing the game, to get some feel for it. If what you see you think you would like. Then i would say give it a go. Sadly the weekend is over otherwise i would be playing it right now :smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought it at $50 and have no regrets! Definitely one of the best games on the store at the moment! Personally i think it's a must have in the sale if you dont already have it 🙂

Dumpy4Life
Honored Guest
I'm a huge fan of the souls games so this should be right up my alley then.

jon
Heroic Explorer

I mean the graphics are clunky, the character movement reminds me a bit of the old 'Alone in Dark'-series and the RPG element has the complexity of a 'Tetris' clone. Noone would buy this game if it wasn't VR.

Opinions are opinions, but this is a pretty specific criticism that runs directly against my own impression that it's one of the more graphically superior VR games out there right now.  Is it the graphical style or third person camera you dislike, or something else entirely?  As a comparison, what are a few VR games you find graphically superior to Chronos?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
JettStiles is correct in his reasoning that if this was a regular 2D game then it would be quite basic and not really much to write home about in terms of its core design. It certainly can't outdo games like Bloodborne or Dark Souls. However, its appeal lies in the fixed camera perspectives in VR which give it a much wider appeal, and quite frankly stands out because there's nothing else like it unless you class Herobound the same. I think its uniqueness pushes it to the fore and if there were more games like it then I wonder how it would fare. That said, being bowled over by its VR'ness does make it appear rather cool. I like it but haven't spent loads of time with it just yet.

In answer to the thread question then I would say yes, simply because this is all you've got right now in the action adventure category (EOT sounds more like it's stealth action adventure and isn't in the sale 🙂 ).

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

JettStiles
Adventurer

jon said:

I mean the graphics are clunky, the character movement reminds me a bit of the old 'Alone in Dark'-series and the RPG element has the complexity of a 'Tetris' clone. Noone would buy this game if it wasn't VR.

Opinions are opinions, but this is a pretty specific criticism that runs directly against my own impression that it's one of the more graphically superior VR games out there right now.  Is it the graphical style or third person camera you dislike, or something else entirely?  As a comparison, what are a few VR games you find graphically superior to Chronos?

It's the style - nothing against a third person view (Edge of Nowhere or Luckys Tale both use em and it's something that works very well in VR) - so yeah, I would have preferred a bit more eye-candy.
I think the best way to describe the graphic style is rudimentary - you have the basics: A door, some torches on the wall, a lever here and there but it all looks so sterile. Of course I don't expect something like 'The Witcher 3' here - after all it's the beginning of VR gaming - but a bit more "life" would have been great.

As for graphically superior: Well, "The Climb" instantly springs to mind - so much going on in the world around you or "Subnautica" (same here...underwater world with very nice graphics).

Not sure it's a fair comparison though - "Chronos" is an Actionstyle-RPG so comparing it with "The Climb" or "Subnautica" is the old comparison between pears and apples but we were just looking at the graphics here.
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

JettStiles is correct in his reasoning that if this was a regular 2D game then it would be quite basic and not really much to write home about in terms of its core design. It certainly can't outdo games like Bloodborne or Dark Souls.

I agree with the last part of what you said, but the first part doesn't really address the original comment. There's a difference between saying something "won't do too well" vs "won't make a single sale." lol

you have the basics: A door, some torches on the wall, a lever here and there but it all looks so sterile. Of course I don't expect something like 'The Witcher 3' here - after all it's the beginning of VR gaming - but a bit more "life" would have been great.

There are games built around this concept entirely:
2D games such as: Baldurs Gate, IceWind Dale, Pillars of Eternity, Legend of Grimrock (1 and 2), Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder.

As for graphically superior: Well, "The Climb" instantly springs to mind - so much going on in the world around you or "Subnautica" (same here...underwater world with very nice graphics).

Not sure it's a fair comparison though - "Chronos" is an Actionstyle-RPG so comparing it with "The Climb" or "Subnautica" is the old comparison between pears and apples but we were just looking at the graphics here.

I own both The Climb and Subnautica, and while the graphics in The Climb are crisp, and the graphis in Subnautica are unique... both are vastly inferior to Chronos. Not to mention that The Climb and Subnautica are incredibly redundant in their activities, moreso than Chronos by a wide margin. Earlier you compared Chronos to "Tetris" but then you listed 2 games that are much more similar to Tetris lol

Here are the screenshots I've shared from The Climb and Chronos, taken from my PC - I'm not seeing a drastic difference as you portray. And if I had to choose... Chronos seems to have the edge here lol

lukwtwz
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

Here are the screenshots I've shared from The Climb and Chronos, taken from my PC - I'm not seeing a drastic difference as you portray. And if I had to choose... Chronos seems to have the edge here lol

Damn, I was hoping the Climb looked better than that. The store screenshots were amazingly rife with a wide range of up-close rock and foliage details that were highly resolved and practically in your face. Even the hands seemed rendered about as photo-realistically as one could hope for in a 1st-gen VR title from likes of Crytek. I guess I'll wait a while for it to drop.

As for the Chronos screenshot, I don't know how you did it. The dragon fills the whole screen. I'd have to crop to yield an image like that, but then I wouldn't be getting a real screenshot. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I use Shadowplay in order to get screenshots. Which is why my Chronos picutres don't really do the game justice: the Shadowplay quality isn't as good as the actual imagery I see between my GTX 980 and my Rift. The dragon in that screenshot looks so much more vibrant in-game; although with the Climb I would say that my screenshot is pretty much on point with in-game visual quality.

When it comes to screenshots, I rarely take in to account what developers release since they are taken from developer machines. Even with the best PC spec's on the market, you really can't see a game the same way as someone who has the full developer suite and graphics engine library at their side.

I've posted this screenshot before, but it's still my favorite experience in the Climb. Being able to actually Zipline was pretty fk'in awesome:

If The Climb goes on sale then I highly recommend it.

jademan
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

I can think of a few things that are worth criticizing in Chronos: such as the lack of skill tree which is essential in a true RPG; and the linear path the character must take (no major player choices). 

Yep, I really wish it had more depth in these regards, and I think Jett had a point too... There could be more Dark Souls-like depth overall, but as a game that was available Day 1, it is awesome. Sure though, I would love to see more character growth and puzzling twists etc in Chronos 2.0 - and would buy it right away at full-price.

Yes - buy the game! It should definitely be in every VR player's library, especially if you liked the Souls games.