cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift is super uncomfortable for me.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
I must have an very unusual head shape cause the Rift is a pain to wear for long periods. At the back of my head the plastic triangle presses against my skull and causes increasing pain over time. I end up needing to take it off after wearing it for some time. If i put it on looser it moves around to easy. The comfort and stability of these headsets need to improve a lot. Even the best fit i can get and it will still shift around if i move my head to fast. This is the biggest negative i have with the Rift, it's not meant to say the Rift is bad or anything, just that for me, it is severely lacking in this area.
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
First time I've ever heard anyone say the triangle at the back is painful.

I find its best to undo all the straps, then tighten the top strap first so it's the right height while hold the back on the headstrap to cradle the back of your skull. Once you've done this then tighten up the side straps together so the rift is only just touching your face and everything looks clear and in focus. You can then also tilt the headset to finalise it.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
I can play around with it a bit more, but at this moment i suspect that it may just be the shape of my head that causes it. The triangle sits right over the  bumb at the back of the skull, don't know what it's called. Is that what you mean by the "cradle"? Cause that the part it is pressing against.

Does the hardware compartment actually have a tilt mechanism? i'm so nervous about applying force :lol:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mr.Creepy said:

I can play around with it a bit more, but at this moment i suspect that it may just be the shape of my head that causes it. The triangle sits right over the  bumb at the back of the skull, don't know what it's called. Is that what you mean by the "cradle"? Cause that the part it is pressing against.

Does the hardware compartment actually have a tilt mechanism? i'm so nervous about applying force :lol:

yeah so for me the bottom part of the triangle sits just under the 'bump' and I find that comfortable, it does take some fiddling around with for a few days to get it perfect for you, don't give up! 😄

Yes the front does tilt and it can take some of the pressure off your face. Yeah I was sure careful with my rift but don't worry it will be fine!

DelmarKane
Expert Protege
Yes, it does.  If you firmly but slowly apply pressure to the headset while holding your hands on it like you would be adjusting it up or down but "tilt" the visor, it will move slightly up or down as pressure is applied.

Took me a day or two to realize you could do this, because everything was blurry and I could not figure out how to fix it.

If your Rift is uncomfortable, the top strap is likely the cause.  Mine was like that the first day and then I realized I could adjust the top strap first, to hold ~50% of the weight, then the side straps each take on another 50% each (25% on each side). This made my Rift completely comfortable for many hours.

Now, instead of taking breaks from EVE or Elite, I'm finding that hours have gone by without me even realizing it!

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
I think we'll see improvements in comfort when you can make these HMD's weigh less.  This is a first gen consumer product so it can't help but improve.

When I first put on my Rift I didn't realize how much the top strap could extend.  I had the triangle high up on the back of my head (like the DK2 strap) rather than down cradling the base of the skull.  Just in case you're making the same error, try undoing the top strap and pull the back down as far as you possibly can.  Most people manage to find a sweet spot but it definitely depends somewhat on the shape of your noggin.

Good luck!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Ironlemons
Protege
Got my rift today and I gotta say it does feel very comfortable to me. Though I've gotten used to wearing headphones for hours and those headphones weight almost 2 times as much as entire rift. What did feel very horrible however was my first try of Eve Valkyrie, was not ready for the amount of nausea that hit me ( I do get motion sickness easily, few time even in elevator )

DelmarKane
Expert Protege
In EVE, and to a lesser degree in Elite, what helps is keeping your eyes on the ship that you are chasing.  Now, once you get your VR legs, you will be able to do evasive flying which requires you to look around while spinning and boosting in between smaller openings.  Few things bring a smile to your face as much as being chased through a shipyard with smaller openings all over the place, only to suddenly have your pursuer disappear off your radar, then spinning around and seeing the debris of their fighter floating against an object they ran into while chasing you.  /grin

GenetixStudio
Superstar
Not sure how long you've had it - I went through an early phase when I always wore it way to tight on my head. Then I started loosening it up, far to much and it hung down a bit and also put pressure and overtime some uncomfortable feelings in the back of my head/neck.

I don't know if my muscles have just started to adapt to it better, or if I am getting really good at fine tuning how it sits and is strapped - but it feels very comfortable for me now. Of course, everyone is different and it could very well just be the shape and size of a persons head that effects how they feel with the Rift on. 

It will be interesting to see if the next generation can come in lighter and introduce even better ergonomics.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
Good things i posted this, though i hadn't given up on it yet, wasn't to hopefull. The advice i got here has improved the issue. I don't have a perfect fit and i am not complety done playing around with the adjustments, but it is already better. Now i look forward to my next long play session so i can get it as comfortable as possible.  Thanks for the replies people.