New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Do you plan on buying Touch?

FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
edited June 2016 in General
Forgetting the price speculation, do you plan on buying Touch when it comes out?

I know there are a lot of SIM guys here and it'd be interesting to try gauge the percentage of people who plan on actually pre-ordering Touch when it comes out.

I'd be interesting to hear why you think Touch is important for you and why you want to order it and peoples opinions who don't plan on buying it and why.

Do you plan on buying Touch? 193 votes

Yes
89%
cyberealityFredrumkojackchristopherbarnhousejaimilowkeyshadowrydrDevilstowermarblemunkeyAwacsBleppefailingbetterPleXDwundramMark8539jvecchiFersyAndersNolbergerAnotherCrazyCanadianRedRizla 173 votes
No
2%
AntDX3162Mwilliams78killdozernettech99Sillain 5 votes
Not Sure
7%
Neawoulftranceology3blanesFX2KNosherSTRICK9UntitledGreymanDoug02AndyW1384edmgWihglahAH_SidRiplex1976Wolfraam 15 votes

Comments

• StrierStrier Posts: 8
    Yes
    I think the Touch controller is important for the whole immersion in the VR space, and worth ordering. I can't say, I would use them all the time, but since they have many of the same "features" as a regular controller, with dual sticks, I might use them more, than I would expect. 

I havn't tried the Touch or the Vive Wands, but I still would imagine, that the Touch would be preferable for traditional gaming experiences like platfom games and such. 
  • MorgenKellMorgenKell Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    I think the touch controllers are important to kill people (or animals, or aliens, or robots, i'm not racist) with real simulated guns ;)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Yes
    Sigh I've already gee'd up the missus so I'll be buying them coz I don't want people to say "I've got them and they are great, you should get them" double sigh
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Yes
    Techy111 said:
    Sigh I've already gee'd up the missus so I'll be buying them coz I don't want people to say "I've got them and they are great, you should get them" double sigh
    yeah I think Touch would definitely help sell VR to people's partners who are less interested in it currently!

@Strier I was lucky enough to give Vive controllers a go and it really does add a whole lot of immersion but I didn't really find the controller intuitive to use, the 'grip button' was in an awkward place and I had to help guide peoples fingers on the controller when they couldn't find it. Touch seems to just fit like a glove which I like, hopefully it will be a lot of intuitive so non-gamers could pick them up and use without much guidance.
  • AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    Not Sure
    Voted 'Not sure', but really that's a 'Probably'.

It does rather depend on what software makes use of it (is it well reviewed? Is it the kind of thing I like?) and if I can find a way of making room.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Yes
    Mine is a Yes... as long as it doesn't cost too much.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
    Yes
    Percy1983 said:
    Mine is a Yes... as long as it doesn't cost too much.
    yeah the cost will definitely be the make or break of Touch imo so I'm hoping they price competitively but yeah I wanted to get peoples interest rate here in buying it and then after pre-order price is announced see how much that number changes! ;)
  • arkemiffoarkemiffo Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Yes
    The touch can't really be much more then about $200. Otherwise the whole set will cost more than the Vive, and they've lost market because of that.
    But we'll see. At the moment I'm just jelous of videos of Windlands where they guys have a vive and uses their arms to aim their hooks.
    Also, I want a proper shooting ground game, and a lightsaber game.
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    I want Touch for a lot of reasons... Of course you want to interact with the world more naturally and it will help with presence and immersion. Also i really want to be more active while playing games, i want to get some added excercise, and get to actually play games for long periods at the time without the negative impacts of being sedentary while gaming.
  • IblysiIblysi Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    Yes
    The sooner the better, but looks like we got to wait till November. Anyway as soon as the preorder are up for it i will place my order.
    Yes
    Mr.Creepy said:
    I want Touch for a lot of reasons... Of course you want to interact with the world more naturally and it will help with presence and immersion. Also i really want to be more active while playing games, i want to get some added excercise, and get to actually play games for long periods at the time without the negative impacts of being sedentary while gaming.
    yeah I'm looking forward to the exercise side of it as well, but hopefully they will start selling replacement foam face pads since I can see them getting horrible pretty quick :P
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    Yes
    @FrozenPea Yeah that foam will get pretty disgusting. Just playing standing and moving around a bit i will get pretty sweaty on a hot day. With the Touch that foam will get nasty quickly.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Yes
    Having tried the Vive I definitely think hand controls open up a brand new area of play.  However, I think it's going to be a while until they figure out how to make truly engaging games rather than 'ooh neat-o' demos.  I tried Job Simulator and it was entertaining, but I got bored with it after 10 minutes.  Shooting games will definitely see a resurgence, but as with 90's arcades -  there are only so many ways you can blast waves of enemies before it gets old. 

I'm still surprised we haven't seen much in the way of card or RTS games.  Both seem like a perfect fit.  Imagine Civilization in VR where you can fly around the map and interact with units and cities directly.  Imagine sitting down playing a game of chess or Magic The Gathering across from your friend; Your friend who is half way across the world.  Honestly, how is Blizzard not all over this with Hearthstone?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
    Yes
    @Zoomie  Civ in VR is my dream!  :o

Mentioning 90s arcade, time crisis would literally be perfect for VR!
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Yes
    Yes gimme hands!!! I want a full VR exp.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • marblemunkeymarblemunkey Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Yes
    I own a Razer Hydra which I picked up when they were cheap to use with my DK1; The extra immersion of having hand presence is something I miss.
  • xi11ixxi11ix Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    Zoomie said:
    Having tried the Vive I definitely think hand controls open up a brand new area of play.  However, I think it's going to be a while until they figure out how to make truly engaging games rather than 'ooh neat-o' demos.  I tried Job Simulator and it was entertaining, but I got bored with it after 10 minutes.  Shooting games will definitely see a resurgence, but as with 90's arcades -  there are only so many ways you can blast waves of enemies before it gets old. 

I'm still surprised we haven't seen much in the way of card or RTS games.  Both seem like a perfect fit.  Imagine Civilization in VR where you can fly around the map and interact with units and cities directly.  Imagine sitting down playing a game of chess or Magic The Gathering across from your friend; Your friend who is half way across the world.  Honestly, how is Blizzard not all over this with Hearthstone?
    I've done a lot of thinking on how to implement an RTS in VR and I have yet to come up with something I'm happy with.

If you've watch a pro play StarCraft2 you know how fast paced an RTS can be. The pros execute over 200 actions per min. Coming up with an interface that can keep up with those types of demands and still be comfortable for the user is a tall order.
  • MorgenKellMorgenKell Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Yes
    I just want... to shoot Stuff... with the Touch... (on a Frozen Disney-like music tune)
  • KuraikaKuraika Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes
    Yes, because they are the only reason after that freaking fiasco with the delays, false announcements and broken promises why I still chose Rift over Vive.
    And I makes me really sad to have to say that. I stuck with oculus for the last two years, owned a DK2 since fall 2014 and got finally the CV1 on June the 17th but I feel the CV1 is nothing more than kinda a monitor upgrade for the DK2 (360 degree tracking ignored). Touch is the missing piece that would make the CV1 a worthy rival to the Vive. Oculus should better hurry up. I can't wait anymore!
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    Yes
    I can't wait to try out Tiltbrush and Oculus Medium with Touch - creating things in VR is going to be really special!
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Yes
    xi11ix said:
    If you've watch a pro play StarCraft2 you know how fast paced an RTS can be. The pros execute over 200 actions per min. Coming up with an interface that can keep up with those types of demands and still be comfortable for the user is a tall order.
    People are clicking their mouse 200 times per minute.  They aren't doing 200 actions per minute.  I find APM to be a pretty useless statistic.  Making your troops path along a route with 300 waypoints instead of just clicking once doesn't really impress me.  

But I see your point.  Still, I think you could easily create an RTS that doesn't fall into the APM Starcraft trap.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • SpiceLife72SpiceLife72 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Yes
    Just for the extra camera/sensor.
    Yes
    Just for the extra camera/sensor.
    There was word you would be able to buy them individually at some point in the future, maybe around when the release Touch :) 
  • AnotherCrazyCanadianAnotherCrazyCanadian Posts: 321
    Nexus 6
    Yes
    If Oculus wasn't releasing touch, I'd have already jumped ship to HTC. I tried a demo on the Vive and I still envy that I can't play with touch controllers for the Rift. But the Oculus is definitely a long term investment, one I'm sure will pay off.
    Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?
  • xi11ixxi11ix Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    Yes
    Zoomie said:
    xi11ix said:
    People are clicking their mouse 200 times per minute.  They aren't doing 200 actions per minute.  I find APM to be a pretty useless statistic.  Making your troops path along a route with 300 waypoints instead of just clicking once doesn't really impress me.  

But I see your point.  Still, I think you could easily create an RTS that doesn't fall into the APM Starcraft trap.
    In patch 1.4.0 of SC2 the APM calculation was changed to eliminate APM spam and the pros still reach over 200 APM. One of the marks of a good player is being able to efficiently use your APM. It's not good to be issuing redundant commands when those actions could be used on something else.

It is possible to create a more macro oriented RTS (Supreme Commander for example) to mitigate the need for a high APM but those don't tend to be as exciting or engaging. I think that's why StarCraft has been around as long as it has. It has the right mix of macro and micro play.

The macro oriented approach has also been used to help RTS games on consoles since you're stuck with a controller. Halo Wars is a good example. It's not easy to play an RTS, especially one like StarCraft, with a controller. I'm not sure how well using a keyboard + mouse in a VR game will work.

Another big concern with RTSs in VR is more the view changing regularly. Unless you limit your map size to something that fits completely in your view you will be jumping all over the map which won't be comfortable in VR.
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 571
    Trinity
    Yes
    after seeing the star trek trailer... that just enforced my need of the touch
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    I won't be buying Touch, of course, but in my opinion it's an essential purchase if you own a Rift. Hand controllers add a massive amount to any game that supports them. I've got a lot of joypad only games, but barely use them. They pale against games where you can actually use your hands.
  • NamelessPFGNamelessPFG Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes
    I may have bought the Rift predominantly for cockpit sims, but I'm definitely looking forward to Touch.

In fact, it's one of the reasons I went with the Rift; I figured that while the Touch controllers would be delayed, the design looks preferable to the Vive's wands. Analog sticks instead of trackpads, more buttons besides the stick, and the grip trigger not awkwardly placed along the controller's length, but rather neatly under your middle finger.

It's also more than gaming that I have in mind for hand-tracked controllers. Tilt Brush and Oculus Medium are just the beginning when it comes down to creating 3D content with a natively 3D interface.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,783
    Project 2501
    Yes
    My friends got a VIVE and he is getting tired of all these games that lacks depth that were built for the VIVE. Most of the games are more demos then real games, I hope Touch brings full fledge games to the Rift and the VIVE, and not the pseudo techdemo/games/experience existing right now.

Can't wait to have it, now devs need to find a reason for us to keep it.
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,315
    Wintermute
    edited June 2016
    Not Sure
    I'll wait and see what games come out to make use of Touch, as it will be the will to play those games that drives the demand rather than just the pure technical value of the touch itself.  It will just be a tool to allow you to gain a better experience from certain types of game.  

Having said that, with games like "Dead and Buried" in the offing, it's likely that i'll get them as soon as possible.