cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you plan on buying Touch?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Forgetting the price speculation, do you plan on buying Touch when it comes out?

I know there are a lot of SIM guys here and it'd be interesting to try gauge the percentage of people who plan on actually pre-ordering Touch when it comes out.

I'd be interesting to hear why you think Touch is important for you and why you want to order it and peoples opinions who don't plan on buying it and why.
54 REPLIES 54

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I can't wait to try out Tiltbrush and Oculus Medium with Touch - creating things in VR is going to be really special!

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

xi11ix said:
If you've watch a pro play StarCraft2 you know how fast paced an RTS can be. The pros execute over 200 actions per min. Coming up with an interface that can keep up with those types of demands and still be comfortable for the user is a tall order.

People are clicking their mouse 200 times per minute.  They aren't doing 200 actions per minute.  I find APM to be a pretty useless statistic.  Making your troops path along a route with 300 waypoints instead of just clicking once doesn't really impress me.  

But I see your point.  Still, I think you could easily create an RTS that doesn't fall into the APM Starcraft trap.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

SpiceLife72
Adventurer
Just for the extra camera/sensor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for the extra camera/sensor.

There was word you would be able to buy them individually at some point in the future, maybe around when the release Touch 🙂 

AnotherCrazyCan
Adventurer
If Oculus wasn't releasing touch, I'd have already jumped ship to HTC. I tried a demo on the Vive and I still envy that I can't play with touch controllers for the Rift. But the Oculus is definitely a long term investment, one I'm sure will pay off.
Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?

xi11ix
Adventurer

Zoomie said:

xi11ix said:
If you've watch a pro play StarCraft2 you know how fast paced an RTS can be. The pros execute over 200 actions per min. Coming up with an interface that can keep up with those types of demands and still be comfortable for the user is a tall order.

People are clicking their mouse 200 times per minute.  They aren't doing 200 actions per minute.  I find APM to be a pretty useless statistic.  Making your troops path along a route with 300 waypoints instead of just clicking once doesn't really impress me.  

But I see your point.  Still, I think you could easily create an RTS that doesn't fall into the APM Starcraft trap.

In patch 1.4.0 of SC2 the APM calculation was changed to eliminate APM spam and the pros still reach over 200 APM. One of the marks of a good player is being able to efficiently use your APM. It's not good to be issuing redundant commands when those actions could be used on something else.

It is possible to create a more macro oriented RTS (Supreme Commander for example) to mitigate the need for a high APM but those don't tend to be as exciting or engaging. I think that's why StarCraft has been around as long as it has. It has the right mix of macro and micro play.

The macro oriented approach has also been used to help RTS games on consoles since you're stuck with a controller. Halo Wars is a good example. It's not easy to play an RTS, especially one like StarCraft, with a controller. I'm not sure how well using a keyboard + mouse in a VR game will work.

Another big concern with RTSs in VR is more the view changing regularly. Unless you limit your map size to something that fits completely in your view you will be jumping all over the map which won't be comfortable in VR.

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
after seeing the star trek trailer... that just enforced my need of the touch

Anonymous
Not applicable
I won't be buying Touch, of course, but in my opinion it's an essential purchase if you own a Rift. Hand controllers add a massive amount to any game that supports them. I've got a lot of joypad only games, but barely use them. They pale against games where you can actually use your hands.

NamelessPFG
Expert Protege
I may have bought the Rift predominantly for cockpit sims, but I'm definitely looking forward to Touch.

In fact, it's one of the reasons I went with the Rift; I figured that while the Touch controllers would be delayed, the design looks preferable to the Vive's wands. Analog sticks instead of trackpads, more buttons besides the stick, and the grip trigger not awkwardly placed along the controller's length, but rather neatly under your middle finger.

It's also more than gaming that I have in mind for hand-tracked controllers. Tilt Brush and Oculus Medium are just the beginning when it comes down to creating 3D content with a natively 3D interface.

maxpare79
Trustee
My friends got a VIVE and he is getting tired of all these games that lacks depth that were built for the VIVE. Most of the games are more demos then real games, I hope Touch brings full fledge games to the Rift and the VIVE, and not the pseudo techdemo/games/experience existing right now.

Can't wait to have it, now devs need to find a reason for us to keep it.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner