cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from dk2 to cv1 was kind of disappointing

Norwegian_guy
Expert Protege
I went from the dk1 to dk2, and now cv1. The positive I can say is the cv1 has a bit better screen, but you can still easily see the pixels when the screen is bright. From the comments here and other places I thought they would do a better job at blurring and hiding them, but  it wasn't very much different. The other good thing is 360 degree tracking. It felt like it has a bit better range than the dk2 and the FOV of the new camera is a lot better, Its very nice to be able to turn all around and still have tracking. Black smear is gone, but there is some red tint in some games.  The headphones is a big plus.The comfort is ok, its lighter but the foam thing, that rests on your face is a lot harder and thinner than dk2. I couldn't find a really good way, even though i turned the angle of the hmd and tried everything with the straps, it still didn't feel that much more comfortable than my old dk2 but a little. Its a lot easier to take on and off so thats really nice.
The most negative thing is the lenses.
They are horrible compared to dk2. Everywhere there is a bit of contrast I see god rays all around. I am lucky and have a IPD at 64 so both dk1 and dk2 fit me perfect, the lenses there didn't blur more than maybe 10% out on the edge of the lenses. cv1 is just a blurry laser show all a round edges. so for me the visuals of the lenses is a downgrade. I tried to push the dk2 around so my vision wasn't in the perfect centre, and it got blurry fast on the edges, so I can see why people didn't like the old lenses if they didn't have a IPD in the average zone, but for me its just a lot worse. But I can't see why they couldn't keep the old lenses cause they implemented the lens adjustment so that wouldn't matter for most people anymore.
The FOV is a bit wider and a bit smaller on the vertical scale, but the thing I didn't like is that I can see the plastic insides and its a bit annoying, you always feel like there is something in your vision, that never was an issue with dk1/dk2 for me.
My recommendation if you have a dk2 and you are happy with it, you can wait to see if you get it cheaper as a package deal with touch, cause I don't really think cv1 is that much of an upgrade, at least without touch. its a new product and it has plenty of faults but Its a lot better than playing on a monitor:)

38 REPLIES 38

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
I respectfully disagree.  I find the CV1 loads better than the Dk2.  Much better screen.  More clear and brighter.  screen door is still there but vastly improved and doesn't bother me at all.  I have found its comfy even with glasses on (mostly put contacts in though for the extra comfort.)

dc2889
Expert Protege
i agree.  :'( i'm disappointed its not that much better than the dk2. the god rays make me think my lens are dirty. lol but CV2 hopefully will be better.

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
I think CV2 should be good but i think CV1 just falls short on my expectations. I guess u have to remember the CV1 is meant to be leading technology and the main issue is clarity which i guess is a limitation in advanced GPU. i think even the dk2 requires quite a beefy computer

Norwegian_guy
Expert Protege
thats true! will probably get used to the god rays after a little while, just a little annoying they chose those lenses cause the cv1 would be so much better with the old ones in my opinion. but people seems to post very different experiences with them, some hardly see them even in loading screens, others say they look like headlights flashing them in the eyes, washing out everything. I see them pretty easily, but never in the middle of the screen which is good:) Maybe its true what someone said that it effects people with blue eyes more? even though that sounds a bit weird to me

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
I get the complaints, but i am pretty sure the new lenses was a good move, except that sadly the new drawbacks bother a good portion of the people who are used to DK2, and also some who never tried the DKs. As far as i know though, the tracking sensor has quite a bit more FOV, and range than the DK2s camera, so saying it may be a little bit better without testing it isn't right. The image is also widely reported to be quite improved by many DK2 users, but there is also a few like you than somehow don't feel the same way. A shame that everyone isn't pleased, but i guess we are all looking forward to those issues being resolved in the future.

kevinlowe0
Explorer
I'd love a CV1 with the old DK2 lenses.  My main VR game is Elite, so the flares are near-constant due to the high contrast, and the lack of lens swap means I'm not using my Rift until my VR Lens Lab adapters arrive.

Norwegian_guy
Expert Protege
I don't feel the range of the camera felt a lot longer but the FOV on the camera is extremely good! I just need to get used to not having to back up to still have tracking while walking away from the camera;) Yeah the resolution is good for what it is, but was hoping they would hide the screen door a little more. Im sure me and many others will get used to the god rays after a little while, like with black smear on dk2, you notice it very easily at first but after a while you don't care that much about it:)

Choronzon
Adventurer
Sensible post @birk

I'm constantly irritated by all those CV1 'Screendoor? you don't notice it!' comments. Sure, I don't notice SDE when I'm whizzing about in DK2. But in more sedate games - and especially watching vids - the current resolution of CV1 is, I feel, unsatisfactory. And the infamous godrays, well...

I'll get Fove in the new year, then the second consumer version of the RIft.

Norwegian_guy
Expert Protege

I'd love a CV1 with the old DK2 lenses.  My main VR game is Elite, so the flares are near-constant due to the high contrast, and the lack of lens swap means I'm not using my Rift until my VR Lens Lab adapters arrive.

Yeah thats the game I play the most too. Haven't tried to lower the brightness of the hud yet, that might help a bit against the rays it produces.