cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from dk2 to cv1 was kind of disappointing

Norwegian_guy
Expert Protege
I went from the dk1 to dk2, and now cv1. The positive I can say is the cv1 has a bit better screen, but you can still easily see the pixels when the screen is bright. From the comments here and other places I thought they would do a better job at blurring and hiding them, but  it wasn't very much different. The other good thing is 360 degree tracking. It felt like it has a bit better range than the dk2 and the FOV of the new camera is a lot better, Its very nice to be able to turn all around and still have tracking. Black smear is gone, but there is some red tint in some games.  The headphones is a big plus.The comfort is ok, its lighter but the foam thing, that rests on your face is a lot harder and thinner than dk2. I couldn't find a really good way, even though i turned the angle of the hmd and tried everything with the straps, it still didn't feel that much more comfortable than my old dk2 but a little. Its a lot easier to take on and off so thats really nice.
The most negative thing is the lenses.
They are horrible compared to dk2. Everywhere there is a bit of contrast I see god rays all around. I am lucky and have a IPD at 64 so both dk1 and dk2 fit me perfect, the lenses there didn't blur more than maybe 10% out on the edge of the lenses. cv1 is just a blurry laser show all a round edges. so for me the visuals of the lenses is a downgrade. I tried to push the dk2 around so my vision wasn't in the perfect centre, and it got blurry fast on the edges, so I can see why people didn't like the old lenses if they didn't have a IPD in the average zone, but for me its just a lot worse. But I can't see why they couldn't keep the old lenses cause they implemented the lens adjustment so that wouldn't matter for most people anymore.
The FOV is a bit wider and a bit smaller on the vertical scale, but the thing I didn't like is that I can see the plastic insides and its a bit annoying, you always feel like there is something in your vision, that never was an issue with dk1/dk2 for me.
My recommendation if you have a dk2 and you are happy with it, you can wait to see if you get it cheaper as a package deal with touch, cause I don't really think cv1 is that much of an upgrade, at least without touch. its a new product and it has plenty of faults but Its a lot better than playing on a monitor:)

38 REPLIES 38

Norwegian_guy
Expert Protege

Sensible post @birk

I'm constantly irritated by all those CV1 'Screendoor? you don't notice it!' comments. Sure, I don't notice SDE when I'm whizzing about in DK2. But in more sedate games - and especially watching vids - the current resolution of CV1 is, I feel, unsatisfactory. And the infamous godrays, well...

I'll get Fove in the new year, then the second consumer version of the RIft.

I guess its different for people, some might have trouble focusing 100% through the lenses blurring the picture a tiny bit, might be a reason, not sure. But like you said its not a big problem when gaming:) With Fove I like the idea of the character moving his/hers eyes the same as you do in real life. It would add a lot of life to the characters in multiplayer games 

my3dscene
Protege
dk1 to dk2 = 300% quality improvement and same price ($350) Note Facebook wasn't involved here.
dk2 to CV1 = 40% quality improvement  and almost double price. (great job Facebook!)

xi11ix
Adventurer
@my3dscene

I don't think you have enough info to blame Facebook for the price increase.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

my3dscene said:

dk1 to dk2 = 300% quality improvement and same price ($350) Note Facebook wasn't involved here.
dk2 to CV1 = 40% quality improvement  and almost double price. (great job Facebook!)

How much of those 40 percent does the headphones cover? What about 90 frames per second, how many percent is that? The improved tracking sensor?

I'd really like to know how you reached the conclusion that the CV1 is excactly 40% better.

AntDX3162
Heroic Explorer

Arock387 said:

I respectfully disagree.  I find the CV1 loads better than the Dk2.  Much better screen.  More clear and brighter.  screen door is still there but vastly improved and doesn't bother me at all.  I have found its comfy even with glasses on (mostly put contacts in though for the extra comfort.)

I'm not sure about clear and brighter.  It feels like there is oil on the screen that was smeared and will never come off.
facebook.com/AntDX316

sabyyy
Protege
Maybe I shouldn't be whining that my order will be cancelled? I have a DK2

grimdar
Expert Protege
I posted a thread like this on reddit and it got thoroughly trashed and downvoted. I don't really care if I'm in some sort of minority, but I agree that DK2 to CV1 was a disappointment. Once the excitement over the better pixel density was over, the god rays arrived to ruin the party. You literally can't even watch a show/movie in the dark theatre anymore in the Video app. The dark scenes and theatres are amazing on the DK2, minus the SDE which was crappy.
In some ways I wish I never experienced the DK1 and DK2, I think it would've made the CV1 experience better. I think a lot of the folks trashing topics like this never put on a DK2 before. Just IMO.

MacDokie
Honored Guest
I totally agree. I also own a DK2 with comfort kit and however the SDE is far worse, the total the experience with the DK2 feels better. The CV1 looks like it's been smothered with grease or something. Elite Dangerous is almost unplayable due to the constant irritating god rays and in every scene were there is contrast difference, the flares appear. The immersion is therefore way less, because you're constantly aware that you are looking at a screen.

I just received my Rift (yesterday) and I want to return it. This is totally unacceptable. I've issued a return request, since I'm in the EU, should be no issue to return it within 14 days after receiving this thing. Total disappointment and major deception.

Gigantoad
Adventurer
Does the DK2 still work these days?

Choronzon
Adventurer

We'd all like 4K+ HMDs, but none of us have the hardware to run such panels at 90FPS. So either wait ~5 years for better hardware or enjoy what we have today. Simple. :smile:

I think we'd all be satisfied with 1440p until 4k+. In high-end HMDs 1440p (noticeable SDE but not ruinously* so) is just around the corner.

@grimdar Agree. Apart from screendoor watching video in the DK2 is fantastic with 'void' option, once you have that experience then nothing else will do. Even 'personal theatres' like Glyph and iWear, can't match the tremendous depth, contrast, rich colours, and inky blacks of DK2.

*ruinous for video.