cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being told "tough luck" on returning my CV1 after experiencing extreme motion sickness?

Phiral
Sightseer
Hi all,

So I like many of you preordered the Rift CV1 because the premise AWESOME, right? Well, actuality shows that CV1 isn't really ready for release. Why? Because many people are experiencing really bad motion sickness. I got my preorder in the second week of June, and after weeks of testing and configuration I was required to build an entirely new system just to run the Rift. Several hundred dollars later and a system that's only purpose is to run the Rift, I am up and going. 15 minutes in, I start to get queasy. After 25 minutes in Eve I am in full blown vertigo and have to go lay down, sick and spinning endlessly. Tried this again with different apps, in different positions (standing, sitting, re-setup the Rift in case there were config issues, etc) and nothing fixes it. Knowing me, I can get vertigo sometimes just playing regular non-VR games, so I realize maybe the Rift isn't for me after all, or at least CV1 isn't. How can I go about getting a refund for something I can't use? Didn't Luckey himself say that if you couldn't use it he didn't want people to be unhappy with the product, or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks, J
57 REPLIES 57

vrmart
Explorer
VR sickness is pretty awful. Got it on a lot of apps ... omega agent, luckys tale, eve, elite etc. Didn't really seem to wear off for me and kind of associated putting the rift on with it after a while. Tried the wrist band things and made no difference. That's with a 1080 and i7.

In terms of mainstream adoption, for example when PS VR comes out, it's going to be a huge issue. People are going to expect to be playing FPS, fast driving etc and it's not really doable in VR for a lot of people.

I'm sure it will be fixed one day. I read that some scientists have 'solved' the problem through electrical pulses sent to the skin in sync with movement. I think they atach to the head. Fools the brain in some way. But again can't see that becoming a mainstream thing.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
vrmart said:

In terms of mainstream adoption, for example when PS VR comes out, it's going to be a huge issue. People are going to expect to be playing FPS, fast driving etc and it's not really doable in VR for a lot of people. 

Haha, Just the thought of thousands of whiney little teen wankers throwing up all over the world trying to play COD in a PSVR...  😄

LZoltowski
Champion
VR is its own medium .. Games that are not VR native will always cause issues for people. VR immerses you in the environment and its ability to fool the brain into thinking its real and throw your entire inner ear equilibrium off means that VR games need to be designed from ground up with that in mind. There is a clear disconnection between what the brain perceives and what the body feels.

People who get car sick for example, need to keep focus on the changing scenery to feel okay .. if they look down or try to read something for example while in a moving vehicle they get nauseous, because the visual queue for movement is not there and the body is experiencing momentum/g.

I think moving forward it will be a case of retraining your brain over time to not expect certain things. I also think it will be a while until we understand what really si going on and what effects VR can have on physiology.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I think moving forward it will be a case of retraining your brain over time to not expect certain things. I also think it will be a while until we understand what really si going on and what effects VR can have on physiology.

In other words, all of us "VR early adopters" are just volunteer guinea pigs? Cool B)

LZoltowski
Champion
@Zenbane isn't it always the case with "early adopters" throughout history? But isn't it somewhat rewarding to be a pioneer? or is it just me?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
@Zenbane your actions today might send a ripple down the road, and in 10 years time you can safely say, "I was part of that, I was there at the annex of that revolution"

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
@Zenbane I was at the revolution of a GPU, I was there at the dawn of the 3d accelerator cards, with all the pass through cables ... Quake run in GL (and that was it).... Id like to think as an early adopter I somehow contributed to the birth and rise of modern GPU's 🙂

All those failed drivers, things not working because of a stupid IRQ ... incompatibilities etc etc ....

In a world full of super computers in pockets ... our expectations of new technology are greatly amplified .. and you know why? Because we can access the net, we connect more ... yet somehow it removes our ability to tink think for our selves and makes us a part of a hive mind. Movie reviews are a good example, many wont go because some critic somewhere on the net was keyboard warring all night and now your mind is made up. I saw many films that had a bad reviews and I enjoyed them thoroughly. We want individuality but somehow we are drawn to groups. Figure that.

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Fun posts there, LZ. I tend to agree with most of that although I would like to comment on the "Hive Mind" metaphor. When it's phrased that way then it certainly sounds terrible, but there are other more interesting ways of describing the natural occurrences with human interaction:

1) The concept of Moksha from Hinduism.
2) The concept of Samsara in Buddhism.
3) We all came from the same Hydrogen atom according to Science.

I do agree that a Hive mind exists, we see it on this community every time Oculus does something that the Mother Brain deems evil. Sheit becomes a zergfest around these parts. However, I also know that individuality can and does shine through when "groups" becomes less Hive and more Exemplary.

But yes, I'm definitely proud to take part in pioneering technology. This industry is more than just a hobby for me, after all; it's a way of life.

kazRium
Protege

Zenbane said:

In other words, all of us "VR early adopters" are just volunteer guinea pigs? Cool B)

I prefer the term Pioneers, but same thing  🙂

juicyg6
Honored Guest
Hello
I have been experiencing the same problem with my CV1. Really excited about receiving it, got my finally and started playing EVE and got really sick playing it. Tried a few different things like videos and Lucky's Tale but I just didn't enjoy the experience.

Asked customer support if I can get a refund. They asked for a DX Diag which basically contains the specs of my PC (i7 6700k, GTX 1080), and so I sent it to them.

After that, they said I can't refund it since I used it. I can quote their response if people want to see it but basically they said since I used it, even though only for a few hours, it's opened and not in it's original packaging with the stickers so I can't get a refund.