New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Dirt Rally no desktop mode

nissarrownissarrow Posts: 2
NerveGear
edited July 2016 in Games and Apps
Just purchased Dirt Rally in the Oculus store.  Works fine but it has no desktop mode like Project Cars.  This really diminishes the value of the game for me.

Has anybody figured out how to run this game in desktop mode.  I should have purchased it on Steam.

Also, is it possible to change the camera view, while driving.

Thanks,

Stu

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,506 Volunteer Moderator

It runs in monitor mode if you disconnect the Rift... you just need to pull the USB plug. There may also be a shortcut option (or Steam launch option) that does it automatically but I haven't experimented with that yet as I just run it on the Rift

& before anyone asks why would you run it on a monitor.. I can totally understand wanting the option if you have a decent monitor or multi-monitor setup

Changing the camera view is one of the key bindings.. .check the options in-game

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)
  • StairmandStairmand Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    There is a lesson to be learnt. The Oculus store sucks.
  • nissarrownissarrow Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I pulled the USB plug but it complained (Failed to initialise Oculus Rift).  I think this has been coded to ensure it will only work with Oculus.  Another great move by the Oculus team.

Oh well lesson learned.

Thanks,

Stu

• SlyNineSlyNine Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    nissarrow said:
    Just purchased Dirt Rally in the Oculus store.  Works fine but it has no desktop mode like Project Cars.  This really diminishes the value of the game for me.

Has anybody figured out how to run this game in desktop mode.  I should have purchased it on Steam.

Also, is it possible to change the camera view, while driving.

Thanks,

Stu

Does the same thing with the steam version, if you have Oculus it only starts up in oculus mode.
    edited July 2016
    nissarrow said:
    I pulled the USB plug but it complained (Failed to initialise Oculus Rift).  I think this has been coded to ensure it will only work with Oculus.  Another great move by the Oculus team.

Oh well lesson learned.

Thanks,

Stu

I just tested it again to make sure I'm not going mad!

Definitely works for me, unplug headset USB and it runs fine on monitor... plugged it back in and it runs on the Rift.

Can others with Steam and OH versions please check?.. I'm sure it's not just me.

I'm running the Steam version by the way.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)
  • SlyNineSlyNine Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    nissarrow said:

Oh well lesson learned.

Thanks,

Stu

I just tested it again to make sure I'm not going mad!

Definitely works for me, unplug headset USB and it runs fine on monitor... plugged it back in and it runs on the Rift.

Can others with Steam and OH versions please check?.. I'm sure it's not just me.

I'm running the Steam version by the way.

Same results as yours. Steam version as well.
    thanks @SlyNine
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,100
    3Jane
    You don't even need to unplug the Rift.  Copy / Paste the following to a text file and then rename it as Rift_Toggle.bat or something similar.  Shortcut it to your desktop and then Run it as Admin. It will turn the Oculus service on / off as a toggle switch and when off Dirt Rally boots as normal. If the screen opens minimised just press Alt+Enter to maximise the screen. The game just looks for the primary monitor and when a VR game is installed the Rift is the default. But when the service is stopped the primary monitor reverts to whatever your original screen was.  

sc config OVRService start= auto
    net start "OVRService"
    if %errorlevel% == 2 net stop "OVRService"
    pause

The only problem I could imagine may be if your desktop monitor is not connected to the main port of you video card, whether HDMI, DisplayPort of DVI. In that case you may need to first disconnect the Rift and try plugging your monitor to a different video input. Switch off PC to do that and Reboot. Should work.
    cheers @blanes, I'm making a bat now... I remember you posting this somewhere else to switch off the Rift when not in use... I like that idea
  • benplacebenplace Posts: 771
    Neo
    Stairmand said:
    There is a lesson to be learnt. The Oculus store sucks.
    I think people are too harsh on the store and do not realize what they have accomplished in a short period of time. Of course there will be growing pains as with any new product, did you expect it to be as complete as Steam when they launched it?
  • TykjenTykjen Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    As if Steam started out great hah, I remember almost 15 years ago now. It was horrible to switch.
    No matter how much humanity fails, the ability to overcome the impossible will always be defining us.
  • SC0RP10NSC0RP10N Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Why would you want to play it on a flat screen when you can play it in VR?
  • TykjenTykjen Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    Before VR racing I was playing with the Hood view in every racing game. Now after a few days of Dirt Rally VR, Ill never go back to hood. Being inside the car is what its about-  And its fkn awesome.
    No matter how much humanity fails, the ability to overcome the impossible will always be defining us.
  • fpvmanfpvman Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited April 2017
    I purchased mine from the Oculus-Store 3 days ago, wo. checking the forums, unfortunately, There seemes to be no way to play it in desktop mode. Without rift it just complains that there is no rift, After stopping the Oculus Service and starting it directly via the only exe in the program directory, there is a message saying "Failed to get user entitlement".
    Oculus support is still checking options. LET'S SEE...
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited April 2017
    Inside your Library in the Oculus desktop app, you can right-click the game icon and choose "Start in Desktop Mode". Note, not all games support this and you still may need a Rift connected. It appears that DIRT is one of these games that don't have a desktop mode on the Oculus Store. Let me see if I can get someone to respond on your support ticket. Very sorry for the inconvenience.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • fpvmanfpvman Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Well, looks like you got someone to respond. Thanks man, that gave back my trust in the Oculus universe!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Great news! Thanks so much for following up.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • simonlchungsimonlchung Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    fpvman, so did you get it working without VR?
  • Bombero336Bombero336 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    That's a good question, did you get it working?! I would like to know how. 
  • ZedrophobiaZedrophobia Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Very annoyed at this, while my headset is being sent back I thought I would install Dirt and play in desktop mode, only to discover there is no option or even a non-vr executable. So I have a game which has a non vr mode, it was sold without it that can only be played in VR because I bought it on the oculus store?
  • RahotepRahotep Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is really annoying. It looks like the steam one you can use without VR
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2018
    Purchased Dirt Rally in the sale... My Rift is also away after being sent back for repair
    Has anyone found a work-around to get this game to play in desktop mode?
    I've tried:

sc config OVRService start= auto

net start "OVRService"

if %errorlevel% == 2 net stop "OVRService"

pause

and get error: "Failed to get user entitlement for Dirt Rally VR"
    checked files and they all seem to be downloaded okay 

Would be great to have a solution as a friend can't play in the Rift due to motion etc and would like to play on the monitor/TV
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35