cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being told "tough luck" on returning my CV1 after experiencing extreme motion sickness?

Phiral
Sightseer
Hi all,

So I like many of you preordered the Rift CV1 because the premise AWESOME, right? Well, actuality shows that CV1 isn't really ready for release. Why? Because many people are experiencing really bad motion sickness. I got my preorder in the second week of June, and after weeks of testing and configuration I was required to build an entirely new system just to run the Rift. Several hundred dollars later and a system that's only purpose is to run the Rift, I am up and going. 15 minutes in, I start to get queasy. After 25 minutes in Eve I am in full blown vertigo and have to go lay down, sick and spinning endlessly. Tried this again with different apps, in different positions (standing, sitting, re-setup the Rift in case there were config issues, etc) and nothing fixes it. Knowing me, I can get vertigo sometimes just playing regular non-VR games, so I realize maybe the Rift isn't for me after all, or at least CV1 isn't. How can I go about getting a refund for something I can't use? Didn't Luckey himself say that if you couldn't use it he didn't want people to be unhappy with the product, or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks, J
57 REPLIES 57

DarkTenka
Trustee
I dont get it .. I havent felt anything anywhere near as bad as all you guys are describing and I'm playing all of those titles plus VorpX Skyrim and Mirror's Edge for hours on end with no issues. The worst I have encountered so far was using VopX on Mechwarrior online after falling my Mech off a cliff the impact caused a "little bit" of un-easiness and made me close my eyes and take a deep breath and wait for it to settle. After doing that I immediately tried it again and it was weaker ... then again and it was gone.

I don't know whether to feel blessed or like a badass .. but VR is amazing for me and I can do everything .. hell playing War Thunder and putting an F-86 into a flat spin falling to my death was fricking amazing!

Bleppe
Adventurer
I still haven't experienced VR sickness in any app/game/demo I've tried. I haven't tried Ethan Carther yet though... I guess I'll have to buy that when the next pay check comes.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

KillCard said:

I dont get it .. I havent felt anything anywhere near as bad as all you guys are describing and I'm playing all of those titles plus VorpX Skyrim and Mirror's Edge for hours on end with no issues. The worst I have encountered so far was using VopX on Mechwarrior online after falling my Mech off a cliff the impact caused a "little bit" of un-easiness and made me close my eyes and take a deep breath and wait for it to settle. After doing that I immediately tried it again and it was weaker ... then again and it was gone.
Most people get a little sickness until they adjust.  They're normal.
Some people get heaps of motion sickness, they're known as "Wusses".
Some people don't get any at all, they're known as "Liars" :smiley:

Bleppe
Adventurer
Guess I'm a liar then  😄

LZoltowski
Champion
@Zenbane  +10 Charisma for using the word zergfest heh. Yes I agree on your points too.

There's a crazy theory where the whole universe only has 1 electron. It just can be everywhere in the universe at the same time meaning that all matter is connected. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Dilip
Rising Star
@Phiral, you put thread on swing .....then left the field. 😄

GraXXoR
Explorer
Strangely enough, I was and am fine with Elite and Eve.... What got me was that Woofbert, Art Anywhere gallery.

Their movement function uses the xbox controller. the left thumb key glides forwards and sideways (surge and sway). It's very slow and frustrating after playing games. The first few times I used that software I started feeling queasy. I realised it was the sideways gliding (sway) that was making me dizzy!

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

@metros269 - play Ethan Carter, there's a 90% chance you'll wanna puke.

indeed for the 10 mins of ownership that one hit me too.  VR sickness is a thing, and as soon as you feel the clammy early warning signs you MUST stop play.

I pushed it a couple of times back in the day playing halflife 2 on the dk2.. i soon learned however.

The good news is, with careful VR training most can improve their VR legs.  I went over time from 10 mins play in HL2 to 45mins before getting the VR early warning sweats.

I topped out at 45min however.

I can play cockput games for ever without issue however - and have put this to the test too many times.  I have chosen to play ED in the SRV on the less intense mode however. after 30 mins on the full fat experience i felt a little janky
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer

I know the "kill or cure" for motion sickness in eve ...try playing the game with the controls inverted for about 10 mins !!!....that will sort you right out !

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
You are talking about jumping into games that are noted as being very intense experiences in VR, and so require a good deal of acclimation before attempting them. What did you expect? 

Stick with games that don't utilize artificial locomotion, like Farlands, until you are ready to move forwards and attempt some of the more intense experiences. 

I am all of about 99% immune to VR-sickness at this point; so long as I am lined up the right way with the horizon you could throw me in a roller-coaster backwards and spin me around and I won't feel barely a hint of a lurch. But screw with my horizon and I have to get out of there pretty fast.
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan