cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't return my Oculus Rift ? Seriously ?

soulmachine
Explorer
I ordered my Oculus Rift a few month ago and I received it on 29 Jun, last week I tried to contact the customer support to return my Rift since I think that the resolution is still too low and doesn't meet my expectation. Actually I also have  a Gear VR , and its resolution is even higher than the Rift. This is why I don't want the Rift and try to return it.

The customer support says that according to the Terms of Service, people can not return a used Rift. This is the ridiculous part, when you unbox the Rift, it becomes "used", then you can not return it. Are you kidding me ? 
32 REPLIES 32

blanes
Rising Star
Really ?   For all the faults and bad communication of Oculus,  on this I would side with them,  no sympathy for someone who buys a Rift and then returns it based on the resolution being too low.  There is more than enough information, reviews, videos and such that point out the particular specifications relating to resolution and that actually implore people who are doubtful not to buy.  I for one would not wish to receive the Rift already shipped to you then returned just because you "don't like it" ... Suck it up or sell it on mate !  😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
The terms and conditions are very clear in what they allow and what they don't, mr2daj is just cherrypicking words and phrases from it to try and prove his point.

When you buy the product you get 30 days to think about whether or not you really want it. This does not mean that you are actually allowed to use the product for 30 days and then ship it back in whatever condition it happens to be in after that timeframe.

The law is designed specifically to protect consumers that buy a product without really overthinking the price or consequences, but get buyers remorse soon after. All it does is force stores or companies to take back a product and not throw the "All sales are final" rule at them.

For consumers to be able to use this right there are some rules that apply to them as well. You have to decide immediately or soon after purchase whether or not you are going to keep the product, the 30 days are merely there to give you enough time to actually return it, for instance when you're about to leave on holiday and don't return until three weeks after purchase.

In NO WAY does it allow you to use the product. If it is used then you invalidate your right to return the product.
People like to bring up the excuse "Yeah, but I want to try if I like it before I decide whether or not I want to keep it.", which isn't a very good one. You are expected to educate yourself about a product before you make a purchase. You've had plenty of time to read reviews, and could've asked friends or people on this forum who might be near you if you could try theirs for a few minutes. You absolutely do not need 14 days to see whether or not you like a HMD, it should be obvious within an hour.

soulmachine
Explorer
Why I can return unboxed products bought from Amazon ?

LZoltowski
Champion

DannyMNL said:

The terms and conditions are very clear in what they allow and what they don't, mr2daj is just cherrypicking words and phrases from it to try and prove his point.

When you buy the product you get 30 days to think about whether or not you really want it. This does not mean that you are actually allowed to use the product for 30 days and then ship it back in whatever condition it happens to be in after that timeframe.

The law is designed specifically to protect consumers that buy a product without really overthinking the price or consequences, but get buyers remorse soon after. All it does is force stores or companies to take back a product and not throw the "All sales are final" rule at them.

For consumers to be able to use this right there are some rules that apply to them as well. You have to decide immediately or soon after purchase whether or not you are going to keep the product, the 30 days are merely there to give you enough time to actually return it, for instance when you're about to leave on holiday and don't return until three weeks after purchase.

In NO WAY does it allow you to use the product. If it is used then you invalidate your right to return the product.
People like to bring up the excuse "Yeah, but I want to try if I like it before I decide whether or not I want to keep it.", which isn't a very good one. You are expected to educate yourself about a product before you make a purchase. You've had plenty of time to read reviews, and could've asked friends or people on this forum who might be near you if you could try theirs for a few minutes. You absolutely do not need 14 days to see whether or not you like a HMD, it should be obvious within an hour.

Yes I agree, you are allowed to see if the product meets your expectations if ordered Online, phone or by mail within the EU for 14 days, it is a statutory right and it is trumped against any terms and conditions you may have agreed to. It is a safeguard. Anything past that and the law assumes you are happy with your product.

Rifts ordered within the EU are also covered by the 2 year limited guarantee, 1 yr is standard everywhere else.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

soulmachine
Explorer
I'm selling this Rfit on eBay now http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/172272552012

not really supposed to hawk your Rift on the forum but in this case I think we should cut you some slack!

...hope you get a good price @soulmachine, I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn a small profit

soulmachine
Explorer
@ DaftnDirect Thx

A3DE
Explorer
Join the club mate, Oculus are selling us open boxed devices that are probably refurbished according to myself and other users with issues who received their CV1 with the red VOID label already broken on arrival. My CV1 lasted only a few hours of use within 3 days and till now I am still waiting for the extremely slow support to come up with a resolution for me to use the rift again. If yours is still working, best advice, sell it on ebay even at a loss because the stress you will get from trying to get it working again is not worth at all. Oculus Rip off, get rid of it while you can.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I can assure you that Oculus is NOT selling used units. The packages are sorted and boxed at separate warehouses, so it's normal for them to open the bag in order to pack the box (resulting in the red tape being broken). Sorry for the misunderstanding.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

walleo
Explorer
Just wanted to add my own two cents as well. As the OP, i got my Rift and was not impressed at all. I already have the Gear VR for my samsung 7 phone and to me, the difference between the rift and the gear VR was almost non existent. For an item that cost me almost $700 this wasn't acceptable to me. I reached out to oculus that i wanted a refund and they told me the same thing. They said, since i opened it i couldn't return it, i was outraged. How else would i know if i wanted it without testing it? Needless to say, they told me they couldn't make exceptions and i was stuck with it. i had the oculus listed on amazon the next day and though it took me almost a week to sell i finally got it sold for 719 after which i was left with about 630 when amazon took out their fees. i would had made a profit had it not been for amazon's outrageous fees, all in all im only left with a $50 deficit/loss which isnt too bad. i would like to warn anybody here getting their oculus to watch out and make sure they really want this product before buying. if you already have a gear VR you might not like what you end up seeing.