Being told "tough luck" on returning my CV1 after experiencing extreme motion sickness? - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Being told "tough luck" on returning my CV1 after experiencing extreme motion sickness?

2»

Comments

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,233 Valuable Player
    vrmart said:
    In terms of mainstream adoption, for example when PS VR comes out, it's going to be a huge issue. People are going to expect to be playing FPS, fast driving etc and it's not really doable in VR for a lot of people. 
    Haha, Just the thought of thousands of whiney little teen wankers throwing up all over the world trying to play COD in a PSVR...  :D
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,721 Volunteer Moderator
    VR is its own medium .. Games that are not VR native will always cause issues for people. VR immerses you in the environment and its ability to fool the brain into thinking its real and throw your entire inner ear equilibrium off means that VR games need to be designed from ground up with that in mind. There is a clear disconnection between what the brain perceives and what the body feels.

People who get car sick for example, need to keep focus on the changing scenery to feel okay .. if they look down or try to read something for example while in a moving vehicle they get nauseous, because the visual queue for movement is not there and the body is experiencing momentum/g.

I think moving forward it will be a case of retraining your brain over time to not expect certain things. I also think it will be a while until we understand what really si going on and what effects VR can have on physiology.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,666 Valuable Player
    I think moving forward it will be a case of retraining your brain over time to not expect certain things. I also think it will be a while until we understand what really si going on and what effects VR can have on physiology.
    In other words, all of us "VR early adopters" are just volunteer guinea pigs? Cool B)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    @Zenbane isn't it always the case with "early adopters" throughout history? But isn't it somewhat rewarding to be a pioneer? or is it just me?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

@Zenbane your actions today might send a ripple down the road, and in 10 years time you can safely say, "I was part of that, I was there at the annex of that revolution"

edited July 2016
    @Zenbane I was at the revolution of a GPU, I was there at the dawn of the 3d accelerator cards, with all the pass through cables ... Quake run in GL (and that was it).... Id like to think as an early adopter I somehow contributed to the birth and rise of modern GPU's :)

All those failed drivers, things not working because of a stupid IRQ ... incompatibilities etc etc ....

In a world full of super computers in pockets ... our expectations of new technology are greatly amplified .. and you know why? Because we can access the net, we connect more ... yet somehow it removes our ability to tink think for our selves and makes us a part of a hive mind. Movie reviews are a good example, many wont go because some critic somewhere on the net was keyboard warring all night and now your mind is made up. I saw many films that had a bad reviews and I enjoyed them thoroughly. We want individuality but somehow we are drawn to groups. Figure that.

edited July 2016
    Fun posts there, LZ. I tend to agree with most of that although I would like to comment on the "Hive Mind" metaphor. When it's phrased that way then it certainly sounds terrible, but there are other more interesting ways of describing the natural occurrences with human interaction:

1) The concept of Moksha from Hinduism.
    2) The concept of Samsara in Buddhism.
    3) We all came from the same Hydrogen atom according to Science.

I do agree that a Hive mind exists, we see it on this community every time Oculus does something that the Mother Brain deems evil. Sheit becomes a zergfest around these parts. However, I also know that individuality can and does shine through when "groups" becomes less Hive and more Exemplary.

But yes, I'm definitely proud to take part in pioneering technology. This industry is more than just a hobby for me, after all; it's a way of life.
  • kazRiumkazRium Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2016
    Zenbane said:
    In other words, all of us "VR early adopters" are just volunteer guinea pigs? Cool B)
    I prefer the term Pioneers, but same thing  :)
  • juicyg6juicyg6 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hello
    I have been experiencing the same problem with my CV1. Really excited about receiving it, got my finally and started playing EVE and got really sick playing it. Tried a few different things like videos and Lucky's Tale but I just didn't enjoy the experience.

Asked customer support if I can get a refund. They asked for a DX Diag which basically contains the specs of my PC (i7 6700k, GTX 1080), and so I sent it to them.

After that, they said I can't refund it since I used it. I can quote their response if people want to see it but basically they said since I used it, even though only for a few hours, it's opened and not in it's original packaging with the stickers so I can't get a refund.

• KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    I dont get it .. I havent felt anything anywhere near as bad as all you guys are describing and I'm playing all of those titles plus VorpX Skyrim and Mirror's Edge for hours on end with no issues. The worst I have encountered so far was using VopX on Mechwarrior online after falling my Mech off a cliff the impact caused a "little bit" of un-easiness and made me close my eyes and take a deep breath and wait for it to settle. After doing that I immediately tried it again and it was weaker ... then again and it was gone.

I don't know whether to feel blessed or like a badass .. but VR is amazing for me and I can do everything .. hell playing War Thunder and putting an F-86 into a flat spin falling to my death was fricking amazing!
  • BleppeBleppe Posts: 189
    Art3mis
    I still haven't experienced VR sickness in any app/game/demo I've tried. I haven't tried Ethan Carther yet though... I guess I'll have to buy that when the next pay check comes.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,233 Valuable Player
    KillCard said:
    I dont get it .. I havent felt anything anywhere near as bad as all you guys are describing and I'm playing all of those titles plus VorpX Skyrim and Mirror's Edge for hours on end with no issues. The worst I have encountered so far was using VopX on Mechwarrior online after falling my Mech off a cliff the impact caused a "little bit" of un-easiness and made me close my eyes and take a deep breath and wait for it to settle. After doing that I immediately tried it again and it was weaker ... then again and it was gone.
    Most people get a little sickness until they adjust.  They're normal.
    Some people get heaps of motion sickness, they're known as "Wusses".
    Some people don't get any at all, they're known as "Liars" :smiley:
  • BleppeBleppe Posts: 189
    Art3mis
    Guess I'm a liar then  :D
    @Zenbane  +10 Charisma for using the word zergfest heh. Yes I agree on your points too.

There's a crazy theory where the whole universe only has 1 electron. It just can be everywhere in the universe at the same time meaning that all matter is connected. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe

• DilipDilip Posts: 246
    Nexus 6
    @Phiral, you put thread on swing .....then left the field. :D
  • GraXXoRGraXXoR Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Strangely enough, I was and am fine with Elite and Eve.... What got me was that Woofbert, Art Anywhere gallery.

Their movement function uses the xbox controller. the left thumb key glides forwards and sideways (surge and sway). It's very slow and frustrating after playing games. The first few times I used that software I started feeling queasy. I realised it was the sideways gliding (sway) that was making me dizzy!

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,787 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    @metros269 - play Ethan Carter, there's a 90% chance you'll wanna puke.
    indeed for the 10 mins of ownership that one hit me too.  VR sickness is a thing, and as soon as you feel the clammy early warning signs you MUST stop play.

I pushed it a couple of times back in the day playing halflife 2 on the dk2.. i soon learned however.

The good news is, with careful VR training most can improve their VR legs.  I went over time from 10 mins play in HL2 to 45mins before getting the VR early warning sweats.

I topped out at 45min however.

I can play cockput games for ever without issue however - and have put this to the test too many times.  I have chosen to play ED in the SRV on the less intense mode however. after 30 mins on the full fat experience i felt a little janky
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 485
    Trinity

I know the "kill or cure" for motion sickness in eve ...try playing the game with the controls inverted for about 10 mins !!!....that will sort you right out !

• HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    You are talking about jumping into games that are noted as being very intense experiences in VR, and so require a good deal of acclimation before attempting them. What did you expect? 

Stick with games that don't utilize artificial locomotion, like Farlands, until you are ready to move forwards and attempt some of the more intense experiences. 

I am all of about 99% immune to VR-sickness at this point; so long as I am lined up the right way with the horizon you could throw me in a roller-coaster backwards and spin me around and I won't feel barely a hint of a lurch. But screw with my horizon and I have to get out of there pretty fast.
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • XicorXicor Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    just like gabe from valve says, the problem isnt the hardware.. both the vive and the rift are good enough to not cause sickness. the issue is the software. i've found a bunch of games that dont make me even slightly sick and a bunch more games that make me puke in minutes. i generally shy away from EVERY game that is marked as moderate or higher and i've had a blast with the other games. my favorite so far is a kickstarter called 'dimensional', which really showcases how cool VR can be.
  • tommaxtommax Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    EVE VALKYRE made me feel sick , the game that comes with Oculus CV1.
    The Older FPS games are just so natural to play in VR, you feel like you are in the game and part of it, only sometimes when you need to use the keyboard you are facing the other direction LOL, now I have set one of the Xbox controllers buttons to recentre the view, I am now one of the top scores every game, a little problem is reading other players text chat as its bottom corner of the screen,and typing back to a player requires the keybord, I use the built in Mic to talk as do a few other gamers, I wish they all would use Mics to chat.
    Overall the head tracking for targeting is awsome.
    I did not play my favorite game for over 3 years because of mouse shoulder, and now no need for the mouse I'm back again.
    This is real FPS VR  that I only dreamt of, and its a dream come true.
    Enjoy.
    Cheers
  • tommaxtommax Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    By the way guys, I play UT2004 with my Oculus CV1, no problem, see my video on youtube "UT2004 vr"
    I have it working with Win7 64bit and win10, with an xbox controller mapped with
    "JoyToKey" free software so Xbox controller will do every thing the keybord does.
    You need to buy "VorpX" to open the exe. file, it will work with any game.
    You access Vorpx control panel with the head set, by pressing "Delete" and zoom out to 0.40 from the default 1.00, do this so its not so close to your face.
    ITS the best gaming experances ever ever.
    Cheers.
    annetommy

You are talking about jumping into games that are noted as being very intense experiences in VR, and so require a good deal of acclimation before attempting them. What did you expect? 

That's not true when it comes to Ethan Carter. I can jump in to Eve Valkyrie right now and do plenty of loops and barrel rolls without getting even the slightest hint of sickness. Ethan Carter, however, still destroys my stomach because of the horrible camera implementation.
    @Zenbane, I noticed that games that have some sort of stable element in your foreground .. help with VR nausea ... racing games, cockpit games etc .. It gets more intense when there is no point of reference for the meat cpu

tommax said:
    EVE VALKYRE made me feel sick , the game that comes with Oculus CV1.
    The Older FPS games are just so natural to play in VR, you feel like you are in the game and part of it, only sometimes when you need to use the keyboard you are facing the other direction LOL, now I have set one of the Xbox controllers buttons to recentre the view, I am now one of the top scores every game, a little problem is reading other players text chat as its bottom corner of the screen,and typing back to a player requires the keybord, I use the built in Mic to talk as do a few other gamers, I wish they all would use Mics to chat.
    Overall the head tracking for targeting is awsome.
    I did not play my favorite game for over 3 years because of mouse shoulder, and now no need for the mouse I'm back again.
    This is real FPS VR  that I only dreamt of, and its a dream come true.
    Enjoy.
    Cheers
    Awesome! You are a lucky one .. I think I just need more time to get used to it.

@Zenbane, I noticed that games that have some sort of stable element in your foreground .. help with VR nausea ... racing games, cockpit games etc .. It gets more intense when there is no point of reference for the meat cpu
    Hmm, that's an interesting observation. I think there is something to that!

I often make the comparison because I did get very sick when I first tried Eve Valkyrie. I couldn't handle the "heights" nor the movement. Now everything falls in place just fine. But perhaps the lack of focal point in Ethan Carter is playing a major factor.
  • iczerjonesiczerjones Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist

the only time I've felt slightly sick is in the Apollo VR experience when you take a slow orbit around the spacecraft while it's in earth orbit... never happened in any other game, not even the extreme ones

must have had something to do with not seeing the path that your viewpoint is taking so not being able to predict the movement, either that or the vindaloo I had half-hour before

That one did me in too.  That moment when the camera suddenly does the perspective shift / roll around to the front of the craft.  Bleh...  I felt my stomach float off in some other direction.  Not pleasant at all.

Beyond that, Adr1ft was pretty rough at first and my first banked turn over a RES site while in supercruise in ED gave me butterflies for a sec.  All in all, not bad and nothing really bothers me today. (though, I have not played Ethan Carter yet ;) )