cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications" message in Oculus Home?

BigRobCoder
Explorer
Just got my Rift, using an older overclocked CPU. I know it is not one of the recommended CPUs, but it works just fine with all the apps I've tried so far. Is there any way to disable the "doesn't meet recommended specifications" message in Oculus Home (which is present in VR as well as on the desktop window)? It's very annoying.
195 REPLIES 195

zboson
Superstar
Yes, I have two Haswell quad-core, 980M, 16GM, gaming laptops and they work great with the CV1 and I am tired of this stupid warning.

jjkrogs
Protege
I have to think at this point it was part of the agreement to "team" up with PC makers like Alienware, and therefore may not be something they can choose to disable.  It's actually quite smart as it is basically an advertisement disguised as a technical message.

"Your computer sucks..."  but let me actually LINK you to a company that will make you a new one...

Anonymous
Not applicable

jjkrogs said:

I have to think at this point it was part of the agreement to "team" up with PC makers like Alienware, and therefore may not be something they can choose to disable.  It's actually quite smart as it is basically an advertisement disguised as a technical message.

"Your computer sucks..."  but let me actually LINK you to a company that will make you a new one...

Which on the flip side is a little extra insulting given a larger proportion of the users in this case (vs. general public) are fully capable of building/upgrading their rigs themselves. (more technically capable)  

Bury the setting somewhere completely non-obvious or something, but give us an out!   It is especially spurious in my case as my processor is simply a 'Xeon' version of a supported chip - literally the only difference is I have ECC support and the i7 doesn't. (not that I'm using ECC, but that is still the ONLY difference between my chip and the i7-4770)

leo1954au
Adventurer
When I first installed the rift software every thing worked ok but it was telling my to update my USB3 drivers so I downloaded some drivers from the intel web site and installed them instead of the drivers from gigabyte and all was good for a day or so but now I'm getting { Your Computer doesn't meet Rift Recommended Specifications} message, Good thing I only use the Win 7 drive for showing my friends the rift working and use another drive with Win 10 to play my games and stuff,  Strange thing is the gigabyte drivers for win 10 worked ok and I never had to use the ones off the intel site

rum3baer
Honored Guest
Same here. My Xeon E3-1241v3 is the same as an i7-4770 (Haswell) and way above the minimum recommended spec CPU. It would be nice if Oculus could at least include the Xeon Versions of the suppported Intel CPUs.

leo1954au
Adventurer
Strange thing is I switched my PC on this morning started the rift home and no error message, Guess it decided my system did meet the specs

ThunderSqueak
Explorer
Still no official fix for this?  I don't want to modify what chip my PC thinks it has.  It would be nice if there were an official word from someone saying if they were even going to look at the issue.

JaRail
Honored Guest
Another month has gone by.. I still haven't seen a solution. This is STILL annoying me. Seriously, how hard would it be to add code to bypass this check? A quick read from a regkey and an if statement? Well, who knows but this really needs a fix. I'm sure we'll keep seeing new unrecognized chips/hardware that triggers this.

XMerc
Expert Protege
Oculus seems to think my CPU is not powerful enough which is a joke because i'm running dual X5690 CPUs (12C/24T 3.73ghz)...its SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than the minimum I5 recommendation. Any official way to fix this?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem on my mini-ITX home theater PC with a Core i3-6300, which is more than capable of good VR despite not meeting the recommendations. I figured out an alternative solution. It's not an official fix by any means, but it's cleaner and more permanent than that registry hack.

Knowing that Oculus Home is a Unity application, I was able to find the bit of code where the hardware specifications are checked and the result gets passed through to the user interface. I made a patch that changes that code to always say the PC meets the recommended specifications, which removes the notification. It's just a single line of code that's changed and doesn't have any other side-effects.

I wrapped up the whole thing into a simple patcher utility that figures out where Oculus Home is installed and modifies that bit of code. You can get it from Github from the link below. Pre-built binaries can be found in the "releases" tab.

https://github.com/ndepoel/OculusSpecsPatcher

Of course this only works on Oculus Home. The notification in the Oculus desktop app remains untouched.