cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW DATA - The Best VR Game So Far

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
You might have heard of (or played)  RAW DATA which released yesterday as an Early Access game (July 15th 2016). It's a sci-fi first person shooter currently for the HTC Vive.  I bit the bullet and bought the game £23.99 (normal price £29.99) and just had one of the most intense VR experiences I've had since owning a current gen VR headset - it simply blows all the other shooters I've played out of the water.  The robot enemies are a little lacking to be honest and would be much better if they were human but the overall the immersion and presence is incredible. The production values are way above most games and it feels like a proper VR experience even in its current state. You basically hack, duck, dodge, shoot and survive whilst being able to teleport around the room in pant wetting first person action. Brilliant!

Aside from being excited about the game, I'm posting this here because this needs to be on both VR headsets it's just too good to be limited to just the Vive.  Now that there's talk of more cameras being usable for the Rift and Touch releasing sooner rather than later I believe people need to pressure the devs to make this compatible with the Rift. I assume once they can work with Touch they might just do it. If you own a Vive though, then you must get this.

From the official FAQs:

Will Raw Data be available on Oculus, PSVR or any other platform?

• We are a platform agnostic studio and are interested in bringing Raw Data to other platforms. For now we are focused on development for HTC Vive.
Will Raw Data allow local co-op between both Rift and Vive?

• This is something we're looking into and will update when we have an answer.

GAME ON.

Official Website : - http://rawdatagame.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZOKS-vzBro

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
46 REPLIES 46

JED44
Rising Star
@tranceology3 Hasn't it been in development for under a year at this point as well? When considering it from that frame it is very impressive that it is at the level it is. I used to watch the gameplay footage and would be like....why are we waiting put this on early access its ready lol. I just want to play!

Though seeing the game now I am very glad they delayed it to work on things, and am also very glad they went with an EA model, and am hoping they really take into account and act on the feedback. There are many great ideas players have had to really flesh out (pun intended!) the experience even more so. 

Just wait until you get dual wielding with Bishop though...god damn is it satisfying.

Other than that I just want to say I love Simon. He is a wonderful companion cube

Anonymous
Not applicable
@JED44 I am not that familiar with the development, or when it started. To be honest, the first time I heard about this game was like a month ago in AltSpaceVR. Some guys were all raving about it, so I asked what it was. So right there I loaded up my desktop in VR, and watched it. Switched back into Altspace, and continued the conversation on the same level of hype as all those other guys. That latest upgrade I got is the auto-reload. Haven't tried it yet though. But man, those last two levels, on the dock are epic, that is where the game really shines!

JED44
Rising Star
@tranceology3 Man you are lucky, I had to be hyped for this game since before I even got the vive. lol The waiting was terrible. 

The auto reload does wonders I have to say. I also just got the force push with Siaja. Makes waves much more manageable, especially on the last two levels.  

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
What I find great about the gameplay is the differences of play styles between the two classes. With Siaja I teleport in, attack target with a satisfying head swipe, then teleport away, assess the enemies then home in on the next target.  It's in complete contrast to how I played with Bishop where I'd stand my ground duck, dodge, take cover in the central area and rely on my accurate shooting skills to keep the robots at bay.

I still think it would be nice to have more humanoid or organic enemies to mix things up but that said robots and drones is still fine as things like zombies are done to death. Thinking back to what Maxpare79 said, there's a game being developed by HTC themselves set in WWII which has you killing humans  (Germans to be precise) so I don't believe that's an issue with developers. Perhaps Survios simply want to maintain the cybernetic/hacking/terminator theme they have going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71UZQzehwuo

I think others have mentioned this over on Steam but there does need to be a survival mode where one life is all you get because then there's an additional layer of fear - plus a number of people are complaining at the price and supposed 1 hour length of the game (forgetting that it's an Early Access game).  It is expensive for an Early Access game - I won't defend that - but ultimately it's worth it in my opinion as there's a real excitement playing and being drawn into a game that just feels like it's got some direction to it rather than it being an arcade type experience a la Space Pirate Trainer or lacking character Brookhaven Experiment.

The only major negative I can level at this game is it needs quite a bit of space to get the full joy from it. I think Vive gamers are very much over the cable getting in the way issue now but getting so involved in the game and smashing a ceiling light because you're all ninja like is funny but worrying at the same time. I've smashed mine a few times now even though I know it's there. It's just hard to remember when you're in the thick of it.

EDIT: I also agree with what JED44 says about haptic feedback. It needs to be much more pronounced especially when using melee weapons or fists. Some of the robot ragdoll is a bit off as well. It would be nice to be able to super punch weakened robots and smash them into bits rather than have them fall away like they do.

Survios seem to be listening to the suggestions from the community so there's hope they can tweak the bits most needed whilst maintaining their original vision. As for new locations a lobby scene a la The Matrix movie would be pretty cool.

Also not trying to disrespect what Oculus are doing with Dead and Buried but now we have three shooting games  that are much more serious looking (and playing) they really need to do something else beyond the family friendly visuals. I understand there's possible reason due to wanting to include all systems from 970 up to the 1080 but this is what graphics options are for (something PC gamers are well in tune with).  Hopefully the sales of games like Chronos and Edge of Nowhere (not the best examples I know) means that developers aren't shying away from more realistic looking games. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueLmG0darlI

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

JED44
Rising Star
I actually just posted about the price issue on the steam discussion forums, Personally I have already sunk 6 hours in without beating the final level or unlocking all class abilities. I can see that people would hesitate at $40 for EA, but for the caliber of game this is and the amount of depth and polish it has it is without a doubt worth every penny. (they can always just wait for it to be finished, the devs did not have to do EA)

I feel like alot of people complain about the lack of quality titles for the vive, or the exclusivity issues, but then turn around and say $30 is too expensive ! If people want good quality AAA VR games they have to be willing to show devs that there is money to be gained by spending the time and resources to make something beyond the scope of a tech demo or simple wave shooter.

Personally I would gladly pay another $30 dollars for this game, not only for what it offers but for the fact that this is the start of actual quality, innovative, and fully realized  VR motion controller games. 

JED44
Rising Star

Also not trying to disrespect what Oculus are doing with Dead and Buried but now we have three shooting games  that are much more serious looking (and playing) they really need to do something else beyond the family friendly visuals. I understand there's possible reason due to wanting to include all systems from 970 up to the 1080 but this is what graphics options are for (something PC gamers are well in tune with).  Hopefully the sales of games like Chronos and Edge of Nowhere (not the best examples I know) means that developers aren't shying away from more realistic looking games. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueLmG0darlI

@Shadowmask72 I also posted about that a little while ago lol. Here is the post in full so I don't have to retype it, but I am growing a bit more skeptical about Touch's launch as of late. Unless Oculus has some major additions they have not shown off yet, I think Steam will have the majority of motion controller purchases.. 

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/416912/#Comment_416912

nrosko
Superstar

Syndroid said:

Well, I'm not a big fan of these "stand in one spot and kill all enemy waves" shooters. I also hate to be forced to use teleporting, 
Apart from that the game looks great.

Yeah I'm not fond of forced teleportation, games should be giving us the option. And gameplay looks shallow like 90% of VR titles not really much difference to something on a smartphone in terms of simplicity. Of course i didn't play it yet but im not especially excited by it.
The Assembly is out next week I'm interested to see what that is going to be like, you get the option to teleport. Maybe a bit too story driven & lacking in action, will have to wait and see. 

NickytheHutt
Expert Protege
There are people who wonder if Coldplay is the best rock band in the world so far.

Damn I like how people think in literal hyperboles. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Now that the Rift is confirmed to have proper room scale and a release for Touch, I had to resurrect this thread because I really hope this game comes to the Rift as well now. 

Check this out as the developers tweeted from OC3 this image showing Touch support for the game.

https://twitter.com/Survios/status/784089482874073088

zboson
Superstar
I am really looking forward to the reviews of Oculus room scale vs. Vive room scale. I suspect that the Vive may still have a few areas where it is competitive.