cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dirt Rally no desktop mode

nissarrow
Honored Guest
Just purchased Dirt Rally in the Oculus store.  Works fine but it has no desktop mode like Project Cars.  This really diminishes the value of the game for me.

Has anybody figured out how to run this game in desktop mode.  I should have purchased it on Steam.

Also, is it possible to change the camera view, while driving.

Thanks,

Stu

22 REPLIES 22

It runs in monitor mode if you disconnect the Rift... you just need to pull the USB plug. There may also be a shortcut option (or Steam launch option) that does it automatically but I haven't experimented with that yet as I just run it on the Rift

& before anyone asks why would you run it on a monitor.. I can totally understand wanting the option if you have a decent monitor or multi-monitor setup

Changing the camera view is one of the key bindings.. .check the options in-game

Stairmand
Adventurer
There is a lesson to be learnt. The Oculus store sucks.

nissarrow
Honored Guest
I pulled the USB plug but it complained (Failed to initialise Oculus Rift).  I think this has been coded to ensure it will only work with Oculus.  Another great move by the Oculus team.

Oh well lesson learned.

Thanks,

Stu

SlyNine
Honored Guest

nissarrow said:

Just purchased Dirt Rally in the Oculus store.  Works fine but it has no desktop mode like Project Cars.  This really diminishes the value of the game for me.

Has anybody figured out how to run this game in desktop mode.  I should have purchased it on Steam.

Also, is it possible to change the camera view, while driving.

Thanks,

Stu

Does the same thing with the steam version, if you have Oculus it only starts up in oculus mode.

nissarrow said:

I pulled the USB plug but it complained (Failed to initialise Oculus Rift).  I think this has been coded to ensure it will only work with Oculus.  Another great move by the Oculus team.

Oh well lesson learned.

Thanks,

Stu

I just tested it again to make sure I'm not going mad!

Definitely works for me, unplug headset USB and it runs fine on monitor... plugged it back in and it runs on the Rift.

Can others with Steam and OH versions please check?.. I'm sure it's not just me.

I'm running the Steam version by the way.

SlyNine
Honored Guest

nissarrow said:

Oh well lesson learned.

Thanks,

Stu

I just tested it again to make sure I'm not going mad!

Definitely works for me, unplug headset USB and it runs fine on monitor... plugged it back in and it runs on the Rift.

Can others with Steam and OH versions please check?.. I'm sure it's not just me.

I'm running the Steam version by the way.

Same results as yours. Steam version as well.

thanks @SlyNine

blanes
Rising Star
You don't even need to unplug the Rift.  Copy / Paste the following to a text file and then rename it as Rift_Toggle.bat or something similar.  Shortcut it to your desktop and then Run it as Admin. It will turn the Oculus service on / off as a toggle switch and when off Dirt Rally boots as normal. If the screen opens minimised just press Alt+Enter to maximise the screen. The game just looks for the primary monitor and when a VR game is installed the Rift is the default. But when the service is stopped the primary monitor reverts to whatever your original screen was.  

sc config OVRService start= auto
net start "OVRService"
if %errorlevel% == 2 net stop "OVRService"
pause

The only problem I could imagine may be if your desktop monitor is not connected to the main port of you video card, whether HDMI, DisplayPort of DVI. In that case you may need to first disconnect the Rift and try plugging your monitor to a different video input. Switch off PC to do that and Reboot. Should work.

cheers @blanes, I'm making a bat now... I remember you posting this somewhere else to switch off the Rift when not in use... I like that idea