cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Force Feedback wheels for VR

AdKiuCM
Expert Protege
As per the topic. Could you recommend some nice wheels with force feedback for VR? Meaning "for VR" we don't need speed/rev displays + 1000 switches etc.

Immersion is most important. I consider buying G29 + pedals + shifter. Price is quite reasonable too. heard some opinions it is too small for good immersion.

I do not mind paying more for good quality products, but I am not a great simrace maniac and it is for occasional weekend playing, sometimes with friends etc. 

I do not have a special chair or space for it. I use my living room armchair for gaming. Would have to clip wheel on a table in the front of mee unfortunately each time and disassemble it at the end of each session.

Also I hope to spark a decent discussion about wheels, their quality, quality of FF etc. I never owned one, but tested a few before in my friends places or shop displays.
56 REPLIES 56

Chazmeister
Rising Star
I currently use a G27, but if I were to upgrade then I'd probably go for the Thrustmaster T500 RS, although is is a good deal more expensive than the Logitech wheels.

AdKiuCM
Expert Protege
I watched a few T500 RS reviews and it seems really promising. Feels like much better option than G29 for force feedback from the reviews. I bough Dirt Rally today and played a bit on xbox controller. Was not as bad as i thought, but controllers immersion is far off the wheels. Game is super immersive though and seems like a real deal on CV1. First crash into the tree caused me to close my eyes :smile: 

For me at the moment probably most important factor is assembly time. I don't have space to leave the setup ready pus it would get toddlered :wink: 

After your comments I get slowly convinced T500RS + Wheel stand pro 2 would be a perfect option for me.
Can fold it down and put away when not in use.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

edmg said:

Mr.Creepy said:

I had a logitech g25 break, in a quite annoying manner. A plastic gear inside broke, or at least i think it was a plastic gear (long time ago) and i think that was a very fragile piece to have inside a force feedback wheel.

I think I read that they replaced the plastic gears with metal ones in the G27, because too many were breaking?

Well, that would make sense, because in all honesty it seemed like some that would happen often. I didn't even use it for long before it broke. As the first wheel i ever owned i loved it while it lasted though, but i dislike the small wheel diameter.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Glad this thread was started, I'm on the verge of buying one myself after getting project cars.

Everyone has always said to me go for the logitech g27 but with the g29 coming out after this, is it better or worse? as the g27 seems pretty hard to get hold of in the UK (for less than £250), also considering the playseat or the wheel stand pro 2 too as I've got nowhere to mount it, it's gotta be complete immersion having the rift+wheel+playseat or stand!
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

bloodylibra
Explorer
I would like to know too. Which wheel is the best for dirt rally?  😕

Greyman
Superstar
@Nij - the G29 is what I have and at the £179 ish that PC World are currently selling it has, it is certainly worth considering and the saving you make will allow you to get a shifter also.  I also have the wheelstand pro 2 and they work fine in combination, but if you are going to use it with a wheeled office chair, you might want to tie an appropriately lengthed double loop of strong cord around the wsp2 base and slip one of your wheels into it.  That will keep you in one place, particularly under heavy breaking.

there will, of course, be better wheels out there, but as you generally get what you pay for, you will need deeper pockets.

@bloodylibra - for rally driving, you might find paddle shifting a little tough, with more wheel lock generally being needed than in track racing, so you might want to consider a gear shifter of some sort, to make life easier.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
@Greyman
Cheers! think that's made my mind up then, I'll go and pick up the G29 and might just go all out and get the Playseat challenge as I have got an office chair which I thought would be a problem when trying to use a wheel, would be handy even when not playing driving games aswell as could use it while playing other rift games but I imagine you have to relocate your camera if your lower down!
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Greyman
Superstar
Actually the Playseat Challenge appeals to me also, especially as it appears to allow a fair bit of flexibility for your seating position.  Before the Rift, albeit playing games like Project Cars on 3 monitors, it wouldn't make too much difference, to your feeling of being there, whether you were driving an F1 car or something with a far more upright seating position.  However, with the Rift, I became far more aware of the fact that my legs were stretched out more or less horizontally when in an F1-type car, when in real life, my knees were almost bent at right angles.  I found it the same in E:D, where the virtual pilot's legs are elavated and, call it petty if you like, but i'd prefer to have a similar position, to improve the sense of immersion even further.

Let us know how you get on with the G29 and the Playseat.  I might still be tempted to go for the seat.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
Yeah think the playseat would be best over the wheel stand pro, especially with it being able to be folded away even with steering wheel still attached

Yeah I reckon if your position in the real world is pretty much matching your position in the game, it pretty much adds to the immersion, found that with eve valkryie, the way your body moves when you move your head, It is good having a spinny chair though for certain games

Will let you know anyway, I was keeping my money aside for touch but it'll probably be December before we get though so might just spend the money and worry about that later hehe

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
I have the Thrustmaster TMX, T3PA pedal upgrade and the Wheel Stand Pro. Absolutely love that setup! The TMX is pretty similar to the TX. The main differences are that you cannot swap out the wheel and the wheel it comes with is plastic instead of leather.