cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know I'm kicking a dead horse, but I'd like to see different environments in Home

kzintzi
Trustee
I'd love to be able to change home to be more personal - I'd love to be able to have a steampunk, hi tech, or other environment to change it to - I'm a fairly decent CG modeller/script-monkey (before life/kids got in the way I used to spend hours with Lightwave, Maya and so on, and when I have time these days I play with Unity in the hopes that I can get eventually get enough time together to make my own experience) and I'd devote some time to making new environments if there was an appropriate API or interface.

@cybereality I know you can't comment, but I hope that by popping a new discussion about this on the forum again (and maybe getting everyone to like or add their own "me too" to this thread) we can prompt someone to look at this if they're not already doing so, or at the very least make sure you guys are aware that we would still LOVE to be able to do this.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I remember when some guy on Reddit went through the Oculus Home code and found that the environment looks like it is setup to be customisation but it's just a question of time. I think there are lots more important updates to come before that is going to be something worth spending time on!

Id rather they spent time on Touch etc. 🙂

Rifts
Adventurer
Agreed! They could just make it user generated. With the release of Nvidia Ansel I've got plenty of amazing screenshots from Mirror's Edge I'd love to use as home environments.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Awww Rifts, please can you post em or host em on Steam? I think someone asked before but are they 3D or 2D wrap around images, can you do both?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus Home is still in BETA, 4 months after release. I think they want to and should add more features before they start working on visual customization. 

I agree that the current backdrop is getting a bit familiar, but function should have priority at the moment.

vannagirl
Consultant
This is a great idea, i can imagine that Oculus most know this also and will give us new and fun versions. I totally love the punk idea btw i would love to have cyber version.

Fell in love with this style through Richard K. Morgan books The Takeshi Kovacs Novels that someone gave me once to recover from some surgery

There are endless versions, imagine if they gave this to modders?? so we could recreate ourselves

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

JaggerWolf
Expert Protege
I would absolutely love to change the home scene - It's just to....plain 🙂 Would love to turn it into some creepy haunted house or something. I think it should be able to be modded - Just give users the reigns and let us take the workload while they continue on important stuff 🙂

kzintzi
Trustee

vannagirl said:

This is a great idea, i can imagine that Oculus most know this also and will give us new and fun versions. I totally love the punk idea btw i would love to have cyber version.

Fell in love with this style through Richard K. Morgan books The Takeshi Kovacs Novels that someone gave me once to recover from some surgery

There are endless versions, imagine if they gave this to modders?? so we could recreate ourselves

Those books are absolutely amazing. I recommend them to anyone who hasn't read them
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

GravityX
Protege
I too would like to see this. It would be cool if they could add in customization options for adding your own photos in frames in your environment. Like on a wall, etc. So, say a photo of your significant other in a frame on the wall, or deck it out with your favorite movie posters. 🙂

Rifts
Adventurer

Awww Rifts, please can you post em or host em on Steam? I think someone asked before but are they 3D or 2D wrap around images, can you do both?

It's both! So it really lets you see how the game would look if it was VR-capable. Haven't figured out how to post on steam but here's one if you want to download in full 8k glory!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/142534287@N03/28564306285/in/dateposted-public/