cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back To Dinosaur Island 2 Crytek's Second Mind Blowing VR De

Thatiam
Protege
Back to dinosaur island 2 is Crytek's second installment of crazy VR dinosaur madness. This time there is a little bit of interaction afforded to the player & just like the first demo this is nothing short of amazing.

23 REPLIES 23

Wildt
Consultant
I found it great, and much more interesting than the first part. I agree that it's a bit of neck killer though.

Seeing that their launch title "The Climb" disappointingly doesn't have Touch Controller support, I reckon the hand grabbing mechanism from this demo is the same as they use in their game.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
I jack my desk chair up to the highest setting so I can let my feet dangle, and pretend I am sitting on a climbing seat. When I get close to the top of the face, I let go with one hand and spin my seat around so I can comfortably look out at all the circling Pterodactyls. I usually sit here for at least 10 minutes enjoying the view. The fact I can't see my body doesn't seem to take away from this experience. The dandelion seeds flying in my face is such a good addition, I watch them fly all the way up to my face and it is surprising how well the 3D effect works. They look real.

When I finally reach the top, I stand up out of my chair (which is surprisingly comfortable) and take a nice long look around. I even walked up to the edge of the cliff and looked down (pretty scary, I couldn't make myself step over the edge).

I could see how the lack of arms and body would break immersion for some, but I am used to not having proper body or hand representation in VR at this point, so I don't let that take away from the experience. The level of detail on this demo is amazing.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
"Atmos73" wrote:
This is the first demo Ive tried standing up as I thought it felt a bit strange sitting down but I see how having your feet dangle might work. Sadly my chair wont pump up like yours.

Another nice touch is when you pass your hands over the rock face and the dust comes off.

Are you able to move around at the top? I thought it was a locked position.

Yep, just don't look at the areas that have the 'view percentage' and you can stand up at the top as long as you like after letting go of the hand lift. Right when I get to the top I recenter my camera while seated looking to the right of my tracking camera. When I stand up out of my chair I turn to the left and the cliff is only a step away. The DK2 tracking area isn't that big so you have to be careful to stay in it, but you can easily step right up to the ledge or just stand and watch the Pterodactyls circle. It is pretty surreal standing up there and as long as you stay in your camera tracking range you can move around as much as you want until you get 100% on all the view areas.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Johnny1234
Honored Guest
Got it to work on the CV1 with the wrapper, even starts with the xbox controler, but for some reason I can't seem to use the hands to grab the handhold. It tells me to use left trigger but nothng happens ;(
Also, there's no sound, is that normal?

Constellation
Expert Protege
What's the wrapper you're using? I can't get it to work at all; a window with the Crytek logo pops up but that's about all that happens. It's also not shown as a VR enabled game in Steam.

blanes
Rising Star
so does this work on cv1 ?  where to download the demo ? keen to try.

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer
You can run it with the LibOvrwrapper, but I do not recommend it because the IPD is messed up.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Various reactions:

Info on getting it to work here:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/409521/#Comment_409521

Download from Steam ('Back to Dinosaur Island 2')

Sound works, camera tracking is slightly (but noticably) off. Left and right trigger while looking at the handles is indeed how you control it. If you don't have sound and don't have controller input, maybe you alt-tabbed out of the demo?

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer

sanderbos said:

Various reactions:

Info on getting it to work here:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/409521/#Comment_409521

Download from Steam ('Back to Dinosaur Island 2')

Sound works, camera tracking is slightly (but noticably) off. Left and right trigger while looking at the handles is indeed how you control it. If you don't have sound and don't have controller input, maybe you alt-tabbed out of the demo?
Am I the only one with scale issues?
Having tried the DK2 version first, I noticed right away that everything is about 4 times smaller than it should be on the CV1, whch is reason enough to avoid it, imo.. 
The IPD value is wrong which is also the reason why the positional tracking is messed up.

Constellation
Expert Protege
Switched back to my DK2 and I kinda got it working. Lots more information in the steam forums.