cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad color banding, left lens, anyone else having this issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Left lens basically projects 8bit color banding in eve Valkyrie, videos app, and it's really the worst with elite dangerous, rendering the game totally unplayable. The right lens looks like an 8 bit banding dithered. 

The he biggest issue arises with blacks and dark colors. Is anyone else having this. My rift is 3 days old so I don't know how to take screens from within it to show exactly what I mean, but if you google color banding you'll get it. 

Im running i7-6700k, Amd R9 290X, 16.3.2 drivers, tried the hot fix ones as well, deleted, reinstalled and issue still persists. 

Any ideas how how to fix this, community, support? is this a software issue or a hardware issue? 

Thnx 

35 REPLIES 35

Australopithecu
Explorer
I had this on both screens with my original Rift. I assumed they were all bad in low light scenes. Had it RMA'd for a different reason (hdmi disconnects). I was amazed at the difference in dark scenes with my new one.

Since there's no way to calibrate the screens (as far as I know) the only way to fix it is to get it replaced.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Memoisation How long did the RMA turn around take? I sent mine out last Tuesaday, it's been delivered as of Friday last week, and no news from Oculus other than my ticket is marked as "solved" and I'm out a busted CV1 unit. 

Brian123
Explorer
I just did an RMA. Shipped to Oculus 7/21, arriving on the 27th. Replacement shipped 28th with working tracking number by end of day showing UPS ground will deliver 8/3.

frankyfiggss334
Honored Guest
@Brian123  Is it possible to tell them that you want to have it replaced, without messing around with Spud? 

Australopithecu
Explorer
@tresossom They received my RMA on 21/7 and I got the new one on 26/7 so was pretty quick.

I didn't get a tracking number though. My order status said 'awaiting shipping' or something. Wasn't expecting it on the day.

Brian123
Explorer
@frankyfiggss3344

I actually never specifically requested a replacement. I contacted them about an odd trailing issue with blacks on white backgrounds, and the red tint in dark scenes. After testing the spud tool, I noticed one eye was brighter than the other. I then provided images showing this, with and without spud tool. They then asked to confirm my shipping and said they'd like mine back to examine and send a replacement.

You might as well go through spud tool testing, then you at least have it for further experimentation, especially if it can benefit certain games.

Here's my thread:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/417724

frankyfiggss334
Honored Guest
@Brian123 Thanks you for answering my question. It looks like in my case it is the other way round. I have bad color banding in left eye and i think the Spud tool could fix that, but will give me black smearing. So it took approximately 8 days after uploading the log files till support gave you the spud tool? Just to know the time frame, especially the timeframe to get pissed off. LOL

frankyfiggss334
Honored Guest
This is howlq23qv7u1eer.jpg it looks....a4urrof3b30l.jpg

PravusJSB
Expert Protege
Aye mine was the same so was many other peoples. It was sent back last week through RMA. Spud tool (or at least the registry edit) worked to rectify it for me whilst support took 3 weeks to sort my ticket.

Brian123
Explorer
@frankyfiggss3344

Here's my timeline with the support and RMA. Note that I'm in California and most emails Oculus sent were at 2-3am. So there was a large time zone difference that likely prolonged the exchange.

Oculus Support Timeline

7/12: Sent email to support, then two emails from Oculus showing ticket has been created and email confirmation that a team member will contact me soon.

7/13: One email from support thanking me for contacting them, requesting to give them time to review my issue and will contact me when they require any further information. 2nd email requests a picture or short video to further investigate. I respond explaining I could not capture the trailing issue with a camera accurately.

7/14: They respond saying a picture or video would still be helpful. I send some high speed video I had shot, exported at normal speed to reduce flicker. They then thank me for the video and then requests what runtime I'm using, plus the serial on the Oculus headset and box. I texted my roommate to send me that information, but by the time I sent it, the time zone difference probably meant if not hear back that day.

7/17: They thank me for the information and requests time to look into it. 2nd email thanking me for patience and again asking for the box serial. My roommate accidentlynprovided me with the bar code on the white sleeve for the box, but the serial was hidden on the back bottom of the actual box. 3rd email thanking me for getting the information again. 4th email I receive the spud tool with instructions.

7/18: I get around to using the Spud tool and noticed the issue with the right display being brighter during testing. Plus that the display was still on even when the sensor was not blocked. I report this to oculus, along with photos, and asked how they get the report or log file from Spud.

7/19: They thank me for the info, no request for log from Spud, but simply asked to verify my current shipping address. I give this to them and they respond with a 2nd email saying they want the rift shipped back for review and that I'll receive a shipping label. Once they get it, I'll receive a new unit back.

7/20: Received shipping label with instructions to print it and drop it off at nearest carrier.

7/21: Odd UPS experience:
I took the packed Oculus to work and shipped it after I got off work. When I got home, my roommate told me a UPS driver stopped by with orders to pick up the package. Oculus email did not indicate this anywhere. Driver was irritated and upset, restating that he had to pick it up. He came back moments later to give my roommate a printed sticker label that matched the one I printed. For some reason the driver also scanned that sticker as delivered, so the whole time it was in transit to Oculus, tracking showed it was already delivered the whole journey.

7/27: Oculus receives rift

7/28: Email indicating it was shipping and to view order page for tracking. I checked, but no tracking. Later that night, it updated with it. Also, order shows $0 for rift and $2.28 for shipping. I then email the invoice to me, and the shipping is noted as zero, and the $2.28 is tax, on nothing. Very odd.

VIVE Story:
Returned a VIVE due to defect. Their return system glitches and only indicated the tax would be refunded. No prepaid shipping label for defective product, but managed to get a prepaid return label from them after calling. They received it on June 29th. After calling several times to confirm they received it, I only just got the tax only refund on July 22nd. I call them again and they note an escalation case already exists for the remainder of the refund, and that they had until 7/26 to contact me, 7/28 at the latest. Currently 7/30 and they never contacted me. Monday, I have to call demand the remaining $830 they owe me. 😕