cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't install my rift driver on my pc!(Oculus requires 2.87 GB on an internal ...)

Hadi_Abbasi
Explorer
hi friends
I want to install my Oculus rift device on my laptop ( Win 10-64x), my GPU and  CPU is a little weaker than Oculus suggestions..(gforce 950 gtx + intel core i 7 - 2.60 GHz)
I think there is no problem on my internet connection and i have enough free space in my hard disk!
C  : 86 Gig free
D :  53 Gig free
E : 16 Gig free
F : 183 Gig free
G : 384 GiG free
but when I want to install Oculus driver(OculusSetup.exe), it shows me below message:
Oculus requires 2.87 gig on an internal drive to set up. to continue please make sure you have sufficient space on an eligible drive, or visit Oculus support ..
is it required to make some partitions as basic ones? I think my partitions are dynamic but i have so many files and projects on my laptop and can,t delete my partitions to make them as basic ones! because reinstalling the windows by it's applications is so difficult and so I want a perfect way. can you help me:smile: 
20 REPLIES 20

vrmower
Heroic Explorer
There is NO reason of ANY kind for installer to refuse to install due to the disk type.  This is completely abstracted away from applications and has no possible impact on the operation of Oculus software.

This is completely a known, arbitrary, senseless easy to fix bug.  There is no possible excuse for customers to have to suffer through this.

I am using Rift on a partition with dynamic disks and it works just fine once you get past installer intentionally getting in your way and preventing the software from working for no reason.

The only way I know of to work around this BUG is to attach an external drive and install the software to it.  Then once it has completed and you can use Rift copy the entire install directory to the drive you want the software on.

Next from windows registry change:
HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Oculus VR, LLC\Base

To reflect the new path.

Then in system control panel under advanced / environment variables change the section in PATH variable for Oculus software to the new path.

Also change OculusBase environment variable to the new path.

In windows registry change the service paths to the oculus software.
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\OVRLibraryService\imagepath
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\OVRService\imagepath

To point to the same files in the new locations.

Finally reboot to update the SCM so services see the environment change.

You should NOT have to do any of this.  It should just work.  Oculus should fix this bug as soon as possible.

Hadi_Abbasi
Explorer

vrmower said:

There is NO reason of ANY kind for installer to refuse to install due to the disk type.  This is completely abstracted away from applications and has no possible impact on the operation of Oculus software.

This is completely a known, arbitrary, senseless easy to fix bug.  There is no possible excuse for customers to have to suffer through this.

I am using Rift on a partition with dynamic disks and it works just fine once you get past installer intentionally getting in your way and preventing the software from working for no reason.

The only way I know of to work around this BUG is to attach an external drive and install the software to it.  Then once it has completed and you can use Rift copy the entire install directory to the drive you want the software on.

Next from windows registry change:
HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Oculus VR, LLC\Base

To reflect the new path.

Then in system control panel under advanced / environment variables change the section in PATH variable for Oculus software to the new path.

Also change OculusBase environment variable to the new path.

In windows registry change the service paths to the oculus software.
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\OVRLibraryService\imagepath
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\OVRService\imagepath

To point to the same files in the new locations.

Finally reboot to update the SCM so services see the environment change.

You should NOT have to do any of this.  It should just work.  Oculus should fix this bug as soon as possible.

thanks a lot...I will try it as soon as I can and I will report the result...good luck!

Hadi_Abbasi
Explorer
I have had my device for over a month and I tried different things but unfortunately I could not make it work!
also I have connected 3 external hard disks by more than 2 TB spaces but still it says:
Oculus requires 2.93 GB on an internal drive to set up. to continue, please make sure you have sufficient space on an eligible drive, or visit Oculus Support to ...
I don't know if my partitions are dynamic or not!
is there any way?

cybereality
Grand Champion
See this post for the hard drive requirements.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/391154/#Comment_391154
In particular external hard drives as NOT supported (as it even says in the error message). Dynamic drives are not supported either.

In any case, even if you reformat your hard-drive, laptops as still not supported so nothing will work anyhow.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Hadi_Abbasi
Explorer
[SOLVED]
***I have solved my problem!*** :'(   😄   🙂   :s   :#   B)   o:)
oculus can't install on dynamic hard partitions...
so you have to change partition type to basic,(Dynamic partition type ---->   basic partition type)
so I have found a program which can convert my partitions without need to format or loosing data and ...
it's name is "EaseUS Partition Master".
so I can install OculusSetup.exe on my device after one month waiting to finding the answer...
I think oculus must solve all these limitations...
but I wish you all the best,
thanks a lot and good luck...

vrmower
Heroic Explorer

See this post for the hard drive requirements.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/391154/#Comment_391154
In particular external hard drives as NOT supported (as it even says in the error message). Dynamic drives are not supported either.

What is the point of this behavior? 

Who benefits by arbitrary limitations having no legitimate basis in reality?  Limitations no other software or hardware imposes period.  Limitations which are both technically indefensible and not known or advertised in advance of purchase.

The only reason dynamic disks don't work is your too lazy to spend 20 minutes it takes to RTFM and make a a few simple win32 API calls to do disk checking the right way.   All this behavior does is screw over your CUSTOMERS for no reason.  Why do it?  What benefit does Oculus derive from being so damn lazy?

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

(gforce 950 gtx + intel core i 7 - 2.60 GHz)

on what planet is this a strong set up? It's weak for non VR let alone VR.

leo1954au
Adventurer

(gforce 950 gtx + intel core i 7 - 2.60 GHz)

on what planet is this a strong set up? It's weak for non VR let alone VR.

Yes have to agree Your just wasting your time trying to install the rift software when you only have a GTX950

Hadi_Abbasi
Explorer
yeah... and I think you are right...
because after installing it's driver, now I can just install the sensor, I can't install my Rift to USB3 and HDMI so I think this device(my laptop) can't support oculus VR...and it does not satisfy me...
I want to think about a PC by VGA gtx1080 by having a powerful cpu...
can this help me to playing and making VR games on Oculus?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Right, laptops (in general) are not supported. A desktop should be fine, as long as it meets the recommended requirements.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV