cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rift keeps on disconnecting

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot about the issue I'm experiencing and have not found a solution. I am almost certain that my Rift is busted, and have logged a support ticket, but since they are taking forever to get back to me (I read about the atrocious response times and have pretty much attached everything but my birth certificate to the ticket :)), I thought let me put it out here and just maybe someone has seen this issue before and can help me resolve it.

I received my Rift Wednesday last week. I un-boxed it and connected it as soon as I got home from work. The Oculus compatibility tool showed all systems green (ASUS GeForce GTX 970, onboard USB - ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Motherboard, i5-4670k - not using any adapters). Installed the Rift software and started the calibration. During the calibration was the first time it happened. The Windows "you have just disconnected hardware" chime played. Took off the headset and saw a "Rift's Hdmi cable isn't plugged in" popup, followed by the Windows chime to show that it detected hardware again. At first I thought it was a dodgy cable but it seemed to happen mostly when I touch the goggles. Logged a support ticket that same night. I tried out different USB ports combinations - and for a moment on Thursday I thought I solved it my moving the sensor to a USB2 connection and having the headset plugged into a USB3 connection. It seemed to not drop the connection anymore. I fired up Elite Dangerous and within a few minutes it happend again.

I still sort of thought it had something to do with the cable (even though I've re-seated it both PC and headset side 10's of times) and made this video that I attached to my support ticket (which hasn't been viewed once as yet 😞 ). When I lightly shook the headset it lost it's connection. Sometime during my panic to get it working I ordered the recommend Inatech card from Amazon with express deliver (which costed me more than the card - Apparently Australia is REALLY far)

Then, over the weekend I messed around some more - upgraded by BIOS and reformatted my machine to rule out any bad/outdated drivers. Issue was still there, but then I noticed I can easily reproduce the issue when I lightly press the right side of the headset. Here is a demo. The Inatech card did not make any difference and I wish the support guys can just give me an indication of whether they are even still planning on looking at this. 

So, while I am waiting to hopefully one day hear back from them, has anyone seen this issue - and know how to fix it? Or am I cr*p out of luck... 😞
42 REPLIES 42

notaprimenumber
Protege
Uh-oh, the "upgrade drivers" thing is for the motherboard's ports, the inateck card (I have the ktu3fr-5o2i) didn't show any problem. It just went full bananas now and then, check the hdmi, no hmd, panic!.

This with the "latest" drivers from inateck (3.5.106.0, old), and also the latest official from frescologic (3.6.8.0).
Checking with another pc found no real problem with the pcie card, or the cable, or the hmd.

And look and behold, everything is now fully operational, on the same supposed incompatible usb3 ports (now on win10). I haven't tried with the inateck card yet, but then again, why should I? It just works.

(of course, I will try, because science 🙂 )

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of curiosity, windows seven? The supposed incompatibility and need to "upgrade drivers" is the norm in seven, and disappears (at least, it did for me) with 10. I think MS upgraded the usb3 stack since seven, and didn't do a good job in the first version. My opinion, of course.

Nope - running Win 10. I am doubtful that it's a driver issue (look at the second video link) since when I put pressure on the side of the hmd it disconnects. I wonder if the delay in the support response means that they found a problem with the manufacturing process. To be honest, if that is the case, JUST LET US KNOW. I will "happily" (not really that happily, but I will be content) wait for a resolution - but this lack of any feedback is leaving me feeling really sour about this purchase. 

XizorGetspeed
Honored Guest
I just submitted a ticket for this same issue 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
@XizorGetspeed  - sorry to hear you also have a busted device. And even more sorry to tell you you should probably get comfy - it's going to be a LONG wait 😞

jarolo646
Honored Guest

hola por desgracia, tengo el mismo problema que todos ustedes y no hay signos de respuesta Vida ni ni nada ya que envío fotos de los pasadores, habrá al tanto de si ha de proceder y se unen para exigir nuestros derechos  

Fiege
Expert Protege
Strangly enough Oculus do not admit that there is a problem with the devices, completely ignoring that there are a lot of people complaining and opening tickets about exactly the same issue!

Bunz_118
Protege
I have the same issue 😞 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to hear!! 😞 Hopefully their support process is improving and you don't have to wait too long for a replacement. 

I finally got my replacement unit. It is SO MUCH FUN!!! I've almost forgotten about the terrible support experience.

Still feels weird being able to take it off and put it back on without it disconnecting. Happy camper at the moment 🙂

Doogzie
Honored Guest
Same issue received unit 3rd nov. how have they not fixed this yet!

fly4fun
Honored Guest
I have been battling with this issue for over a month now. Oculus's first response to a ticket was immediate, and the proposed plug-unplug the connector at headset a complete sand in the eyes nonsense. Do they really think that early tech adapters are so moronic and tech-unsavy not to check that out first?? Common, this is a 700 eur hardware with a major design/engineering fault. It is clearly a hardware issue stemming either from poor soldiering at the socket in headset board or a poor choice of connector joint for the task. Either one is just a consequence of bad design, no other word for it. It would be maybe acceptable for a 200 eur prototype but is really ridiculous to swallow for a final product. Somebody should know better to make it more robust. And when discovering it is not, find a solution - a hardware! solution - already instead of playing dumb. Their 'design', the headstrap and moving parts of it are pulling the cable from the joint and constantly putting a load on it when you readjust it on your head. No wonder it is getting loose. A more robust connector could fix that or something else, I will not be solving the design problems for such an expensive device..
Anyhow, after my reply to their first response that 'no, I have unplugged and re-plugged it and still have the same issue and might it not be the connector at fault,' there was nothing but silence. I would gladly send it back and have it replaced if they would finally respond to me. At the same time I am also afraid that without a proper hardware fix, this will happen again and I will be always handling it like glass, afraid it will brake. I expect not to throw it at a wall and survive but putting it on and off should not damage it also, this is a normal use, not some abuse. Imagine now the room scale vr touch experience with this newfound fragility in mind.. is that a joke?