cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 - scale is off

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer
Hi!  long time DK2 user here.
I recieved my CV1 today and one thing I noticed right away, is that something is way off about the scale.
Then I startet the Oculus World Demo and stumbled upon this function called "Postion tracking scale" 
Default value is 1000 ->Everything is huuge,. like really huge.
Changing it to 1450-1500 looks right/natural (like it did on the DK2) and fixes the whole problem for me (in this demo).

Now I'd like to know if there is a way to change this function for the runtime, or if there is any other way to fix this issue.
The CV1 is virtually unusable for me with the current world scale. Even more after witnessing the direct changing of it.

Thanks in advance.
36 REPLIES 36

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer

birk said:

maybe if you installed oculus home/runtime with the dk2, then just plugged in the cv1 when it arrived instead of setting it up again could mess up the size?

I thought the same and tried deleting everything related to the "Oculus Software I could find on my system and reinstalled it. but it didn't change anything. Maybe I missed something? There is alot of Oculus stuff I collected over the last years. But then again, I wonder why nobody else seem to have this issue, since I'm not the only DK2 user out there.
This can't be a Hardware defect, right? ..My IPD is 63 btw..

Today I'm gonna plug my DK2 back in and try to make some screenshos for comparison.
Unfortunately I don't have a another PC to test on atm, but I'd like to know what the reason could be, or find a solution, before I reinstall windows.

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer
Made some screenshots and overlayed both viewport images.
I hope this helps visualizing my problem.

http://imgur.com/a/D0xPL

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer
Update:
I just tested a little more and I've found a demo where I can change the IPD override manually.
Going up to 85-86 looks about natural to me..
So I assume this means that the internal IPD setting is broken and in my CV1 I'm seeing  ~44 instead of 64 all the time!?

Please tell me this is a software issue, not an hardware issue.
I'm clueless what to do right now...I can't use my CV1 this way.

-I've made screenshots showing the two different settings.
If someone has the time, view these images in your CV1 and let me know how you percieve the scale.

http://imgur.com/a/xKfXa

Demilson
Protege
I saw your screenshots and it looks like the CV1 is that is correct; because in DK2, the overlapping images of the left and right eye are almost identical, which loses depth. I think it has a bug from the runtime 1.3.

Something very strange is occurring with my DK2 after installing runtime 1.3: games simply lost their depth and consequently immersion! Like I'm playing a 3D game on a large screen, but no VR.

It is not so easy to see, because the game is still in 3D perspective (closer objects are larger and more distant objects appear smaller); but clearly I realized that I can no longer see the depth in the games. For example, in Project Cars, I can not feel that the stand is about 20 or 30 meters away (?); in Castle Coaster game I do not feel I'm there at the top, the point of feeling vertigo and fear as before; the same for Elite Dangerous, Titans of Space, In Cell VR, War Thunder, etc.

My IDP is 64 mm, which seems to be the default of DK2; but it is as if the eyes of the observer in the game were almost together. Because; closing and opening his eyes alternately, the left image is almost identical to right image; with very little lateral displacement.

With the runtime 0.8 and earlier, the sensasão VR was perfect; distant objects seemed to really get to several meters from me; the high places gave feeling dizzy and a little fear; roller coaster games gave goose bumps; etc. Now, after 1.3 runtime, unfortunately not.

Eigen-Vector
Honored Guest

Syndroid said:

I thought the same and tried deleting everything related to the "Oculus Software I could find on my system and reinstalled it. but it didn't change anything. Maybe I missed something? There is alot of Oculus stuff I collected over the last years. But then again, I wonder why nobody else seem to have this issue, since I'm not the only DK2 user out there.
This can't be a Hardware defect, right? ..My IPD is 63 btw..

Today I'm gonna plug my DK2 back in and try to make some screenshos for comparison.
Unfortunately I don't have a another PC to test on atm, but I'd like to know what the reason could be, or find a solution, before I reinstall windows.

Having same/similar issue here. Owned DK2 for about last six month of 2015, received CV1 6 weeks ago and 'something' feels off, possibly a scale thing. Just not feeling the same convincing sense of immersion.
Elite  for instance looks stunning, but scale feels smaller than DK2 experience. Stations, inside and outside seem somehow smaller than they did and the planets/moons definitely feel much less massive and awe inspiring. Went down to moon surface yesterday and right up to the point where I as asking for docking permission the moons horizon from left to right felt no larger than a (British) football field. Definitely not planet/moon sized or immersive. Looks like VR but doesn't 'feel' like VR as I remember it from DK2. I just dont feel there on CV1. Some things like for instance Monstrum feel better immersion wise but the secret ingredient from the DK2 definitely appears to be missing.

Gwiz84
Heroic Explorer
Never tried the dev kits only used my own CV1 for VR, but everything feels right to me?

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer
I have to say, after ~1-2 months now, I'm accustomed to the difference, but there are still some apps where the scale and depth perception feels off. 
The vanishing of Ethan Carter is still a night and day difference on DK2 vs.CV1 and I can't explain what the devs were thinking about this.
The same with Eve Valkierie. The Pilots body and some other stuff is way too big for me.
Every game should have a world scale adjustment, imo.

cybereality
Grand Champion
This may be related to the IPD adjustment issue we are looking into now. Basically, it appears that on some systems the in-game camera distance is locked at 64mm, regardless of the IPD slider settings. Meaning that the more your physical IPD differs from 64mm the more the world scale (and also stereo rendering) would be off. I'm not sure how widespread the issue is, but I received a few reports so far and was able to reproduce the problem on my own machine. 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Demilson
Protege
I do not know what Oculus made; but, incredibly, after the last update of the runtime, my DK2 again had true VR.

As I reported above, after 1.3 runtime my DK2, while still showing 3D, lost depth and immersion. For my tests, the observer's eye convergence plan is closer in previous runtimes to 1.3 and further in later runtimes; but I'm not sure if this is the real cause of the problem (IPD is not).

It seems that other DK2 and CV1 users are also having the same problem. To find out if your Oculus Rift is with this problem, try to close an eye in a VR game and see if you feel difference in depth compared with both eyes open; and run Showdown and see if you have the real sensation of moving in the street. If not, it's because you also have this problem.

Now, after the latest update of Oculus Home, he made the reconfiguration of the camera Rift Sensor and automatically depth VR back to normal as it was before the runtime 1.3.

Now, the sensation VR is perfect again; distant objects seem really get to several meters from me; the high places give feeling dizzy and a little fear; roller coaster games give goose bumps, etc.

Now I feel really moving in the scenario 3D and not the scenario about me, as if I were standing. In Showdown and The Grand Canyon VR Experience this sesation (moving within the scenario) is very evident.

In Elite Dangerous, my ship, seasons and planets now look really great and the objects are really distant; as if I was actually traveling through space. Same for Project Cars, In Cell VR, Titans of Space, and other games.

I would like the Oculus team allow the user to configure the distance of the observer's eye convergence plan (if this is the problem), so users can increase or decrease this stereo effect according to your preference.

THANK YOU, OCULUS !

klaxalk
Honored Guest
Hi, I have Oculus for around a week and suddenly (dont know if I just noticed it or whether I broke something) the sense of scale in Elite feels toy-like. All the stuff looks 3/4 size, the planet surfaces feel like a plastic thing 20m in front of the ship despite being hundreds of meters above. I tried to fiddle with the IPD, but without success. Even the IPD config in Elite's xml does not change anything. Wierd is though that the main menu in Elite looks right.. The only thing that seems to show any difference is the scale factor in the World Demo... but only there ofc.. pls halp.