cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subnautica User Reviews

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Please post your rating of this game taking into consideration fun factor, value for money, overall polish and using the following criteria if you have purchased/played the game:

5 Stars - Awesome Must Buy
4 Stars - Very Good Not essential.
3 Stars - Average 
2 Stars - Below Average
1 Star  - Poor/ Avoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7BzngvURrk

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
59 REPLIES 59

JettStiles
Adventurer
Although I gave that game four stars I would NOT recommend buying it AT THIS TIME.

The latest update fucked up the controls for a lot of people (basically you are stuck in the main menu). Until this is fixed I'd recommend not buying it.
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
Flashing geometry and piss poor performance in VR prevent me from giving it a 5. If those things were fixed, playing this in VR would be one of my top favorite experiences of all time.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Although I gave that game four stars I would NOT recommend buying it AT THIS TIME.

The latest update fucked up the controls for a lot of people (basically you are stuck in the main menu). Until this is fixed I'd recommend not buying it.

I didn't have any issues with the last update, which was what?  A month or two ago?  Just had to reverse the buttons that scroll through the menu and the pitch axis, if I remember right.

JettStiles
Adventurer

TwoHedWlf said:

I didn't have any issues with the last update, which was what?  A month or two ago?  Just had to reverse the buttons that scroll through the menu and the pitch axis, if I remember right.

Aye..think about that time - had that problem ever since.

Sometimes I was able to bypass the problem by plugging the controller in and out while I'm in the main menu but unfortunately that helps only sometimes....:/

Then again..not much point for me in playing it at this time - the game also crashes every time I try to load a save game.

Been writing to their support about this a while ago (even sent some log files) but haven't heard anything from them.
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I gave it 3 stars. I would love to give it 5 - I do give it 5 on a monitor, in fact.

The problem is being restricted to the gamepad, and not being able to use the mouse and keyboard (maybe, with messing about, but not by default). Give me mouse & keyboard and I'll give you 5 stars! 😉

Oh - and a decent document guide for gameplay - i.e. not YouTube vids or the like. Who gives that it's early - just give us a guide for what is there and we can see what changes in the update news. Then have someone update the guide evey 6 months or so (I'll do it - for free - if you would let me know what has been changed).

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Duncan_Disorder
Protege
Someone else in this thread said they wished they could give it 5 stars, but gave it 3 stars in VR and 5 stars on the monitor. I totally agree, but for slightly different reasons. 

For one, I was so eager to play Subnautica in VR, more than any other game. After first playing on the monitor, it's easy to see the appeal of playing in VR. Sadly, the experience was disappointing. Within a few minutes of playing, I felt sick. I found the best way to reduce this is to use your head to point and not the gamepad stick. Moving my view with the stick, especially when I was already moving, would have me breaking out in a sweat and feeling nauseous in no time. While pointing your head to direct where you're going reduces the effects significantly, after a bit of time, I found I inevitably felt sick anyway.

But, it's not just the motion sickness I found disappointing. The game itself looks tacky and too fuzzy. Flashing geometry was a constant nuisance, too. Hate to put the game down in VR, because I love this game normally.

Bagnet
Expert Protege
Needs some optimization, lots of pop in happening, but the basic game is great. scuba fits really well while wearing a face mask. i did find when piloting the ships that my head was behind the characters neck but thats not the end of the world. Hard to read some parts of the text when its in the wrong place but at the end of the day its very playable. Sometimes can be hard to know what you need to do things but you soon learn. I gave it 4 just for the graphical issues.

Applecorp
Rising Star
What kind of state is this in now for the Rift?

Tempted to get it in the Steam sale.

Applecorp
Rising Star
Bought it, seems like it could be great if performance wasn't so atrocious. 

Refunded.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I own it but haven't really touched it since the first day.