cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC random reboot

dhwang329
Honored Guest
Since installing the Oculus Rift my computer has been randomly rebooting and crashing on its own. No BSOD. I tried to search for similar symptoms online. Most are saying that either its the USB port drawing too much power, or the power supply is tapping out causing the PC to fail leading to the PC rebooting as a safeguard. However most if not all that are claiming this are running a 650 watt PSU or lower. My system is running a 1000 watt power supply (EVGA 1000w G2) which is fairly new (about a year worth of usage). I am not running SLI. Currently using a single GTX980, i7 5930K CPU (with water cooling), 16Gb of RAM, x99 Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme mobo. I am running Windows 10 OS at the moment. Graphic drivers have been updated. Rift firmware is up to date. Hardware temps seem to be below 40 degrees.

I  think my system specs are definitely over the minimum requirements so I am puzzled by the issues I have been seeing. As a test I disconnected the Rift cables, and uninstalled the software/drivers. Since then the PC has been more stable. Every once in a while the PC will reboot on its own (issue only started occurring after I got the Rift). It does not seem to happen as frequently after uninstalling which is the good news. This makes me suspect more and more perhaps I have a faulty power supply, but I am not 100% convinced. This has been very frustrating and wanted to see if anyone else has been having similar issues. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

grimdar
Expert Protege
I had similar issues for a couple months. It would usually restart every other day or so, 1 min after booting.

In the Windows Event Log there was always a entry for Oculus software which was the last entry before the reboot.

Then I uninstalled all of Oculus software, then re-installed. No problems since...

BTW.. I also have a EVGA 1000watt PSU.
Windows 10
i7 6700k
Titan X
32GB DDR4
etc

BakerMiaz
Explorer

grimdar said:

I had similar issues for a couple months. It would usually restart every other day or so, 1 min after booting.

In the Windows Event Log there was always a entry for Oculus software which was the last entry before the reboot.

Then I uninstalled all of Oculus software, then re-installed. No problems since...

Windows 10
i7 6700k
Titan X
32GB DDR4
etc

interesting..  so a reinstall might fix my problem too?

Droflas
Explorer
Me too. Flying  in Elite Dangerous for a while, then getting to where I am going to, slowing down to enter the station and .. BLINK .. restart. very annoying. And I also have a decent spec computer.

EliteSPA
Superstar
Are you guys using mobo usb ports or innateck?
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

BakerMiaz
Explorer

EliteSPA said:

plugged into usb at the back.
Tied to move them to other back usb but still the same

dhwang329
Honored Guest

grimdar said:

Windows 10
i7 6700k
Titan X
32GB DDR4
etc

Interesting... Well glad to hear the reinstall fixed the issue. I on the other hand am still having this issue. I uninstalled the software/drivers/etc. but no luck. I even recently reformatted the PC but it still has problems. I do have to say it does not reboot as often anymore but it does happen every once in a while. I do have a new PSU unit which I will attempt to swap out eventually. However I am trying to exhaust all my options before doing the swap. I am still not convinced its my PSU. Funny enough after the reformat I did not install RIFT right away. Zero reboots. However since installing the RIFT I had 2-3 reboots so far. I tried looking into the Event Log viewer as well but I do not see any errors pertaining to OR. This is very frustrating.

dhwang329
Honored Guest

EliteSPA said:

I too am using onboard mobo USB 3.0 ports.

dhwang329
Honored Guest

Droflas said:

Me too. Flying  in Elite Dangerous for a while, then getting to where I am going to, slowing down to enter the station and .. BLINK .. restart. very annoying. And I also have a decent spec computer.

Tell me about it... My reboots happen when I am not even using the OR app. Sometimes the PC reboots while I am surfing the web. However the OR is connected to the USB port and sw/drivers are installed. It seems like multiple users are having reboot issues judging from the responses here and also on the web. I baffles me how there is no response from OR support. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you upload these log files?
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-ri...

Also, maybe unplug the Rift and uninstall Oculus software and see if the restarts still happen.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV