cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix Gear VR not launching when phone is plugged in?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello fellow VR explorers  :smile: 

I have a question - one that has been asked (kind of), but rarely at that.
What happens to me, is that after I plug the phone in, OCCASIONALLY the Oculus connection sound will be heard.
Whether it does or doesn't, doesn't matter. It still only shows a black screen and a small white "x" in the left hand bottom corner.
When disconnecting the phone from the Gear VR, I get a brief "Calibrating Gear VR" message, and then the display returns to the home screen.

My Gear VR does not work on my phone (which is a Galaxy S6), but it seems to working flawlessly with a friends Galaxy Note.
So I can at least establish that the problem is within the phone. 

Solutions I've tried so far:

Soft reset the phone
Hard reset the phone
Update the phone to newest android build
Apply more pressure when plugging in the phone to the Gear
"Wiggling" the phone when plugging in
Installing custom roms / old android builds

Absolutely nothing is working and I've gone to EVERY phone repair shop to request assistance, but they all just didn't know either.

ANY HELP IS VERY, VERY, appreciated.
68 REPLIES 68

vovo
Honored Guest
case not closed

vovo
Honored Guest
MaiNaym, please remove the "case closed" or I'll have to start another thread and explain that it's not the Innovator Edition again.

vovo
Honored Guest
OK. Did the file replacements and managed to get to the Oculus home. But then it froze there. Even the back button doesn't work. Is there an app that will show what is using the cpu like the task manager in windows?

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Gear VR has died after Marshmallow update on S6.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone know a fix?

Xboxii
Honored Guest
Hi, I have gotten the same issue lately. I have the Gear VR consumer version. I bought maybe 6 months ago and the S6 was working perfectly. I stopped playing with it about 3 months ago. Then recently when I tried to connect again it would not launch. Sometimes it goes black then goes back into the home screen of the phone, other times it goes into a black screen with an x and just stays there. 1 out of 10 the oculus home boots and I am in the menu but the buttons wont work. I want to add that somewhere around 1 month ago my USB stopped charging with the old usb charger it only charges now with the modern boost charger. Could be something with the usb connection?

Manchershaw
Honored Guest
Same issue, same phone s6 edge+. App is up to date, worked previously. Haven't used in a few months, now get a momentary black screen with white x before app closes. Looks like this has been going unresolved. Considering the purchases in app I've made, best bet might be contacting the BBB if Occulus isn't addressing.

Traulq
Explorer
Same problem, earlier today all was working just fine - now inserting the phone will not trigger VR mode. No apparent reason at all!

davidcarrolldev
Honored Guest
Check that the switch on the phone to the goggle connector is set to locked.

I had an issue where the new VR goggles for the Note 7 was not automatically responding when the Note 7 was attached.

The VR goggles had previously worked. Once noticing my switch was set to unlocked, I realized my issue. After changing this to locked, everything was working as expected.

Hope this feedback applies to the other versions of VR goggles and phone models.

Traulq
Explorer
Didn't help unfortunately. Plugging it in seems to trigger VR mode and then drop straight back to the Oculous menu 😞