cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Video - poor quality for the videos

TheWario
Honored Guest
When I watch videos through oculus video app they are playing in 480p quality or lower which I doubt is the source quality of those videos. There is no button or option that I can find where it would let me to choose the quality of videos to be played/streamed.
It is really hard to get immersive with pixels floating all over the screen.
It isn't my PC or network problem cause I can easily play youtube 4k videos without stuttering.

Anyone has a tip how to play higher quality 360 videos or youtube 360 without getting the VR desktop app (which, in my opinion should be included in oculus apps)?
27 REPLIES 27

CrashFu
Consultant

Roaster said:

I have found protection on BluRay disks that prevents playback on a pc since you could theoretically copy it to your hdd.  You filthy pirates.  All of you.
I simply don't buy any disks now because of that, so suck it Sony.
It would be nice if Oculus had a video service, but the streaming I've seen so far is not usable.  Download speeds are a joke.
We have to be able to play 3D disks directly to the Rift if this is going to take off.

I assume you're just making a joke and not actually lecturing anybody, but just in case..

I think I speak for everyone when I say that the use-restriction / copy-protection they put on BluRay discs is blatant extortion, and encourages piracy far more than it prevents it...

Spending a bunch of money on a PC BluRay drive AND buying a copy of a $20-30 movie and then being told you have to buy a new edition of a specific $50 media playing software every year if you want to actually watch it?  That'd be like buying a retail copy of a fully-offline, single-player video game and then having to pay a subscription fee if you want to play it.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

EarlGrey said:

The only real-world video that I've found in sufficient quality was the "Introduction to Virtual Reality" demo. It's a huge demo, and only plays a couple of minutes. But you don't do any streaming, so you get highest quality.

How come the Virtual Reality video is good, but the rest of the 360 videos I've seen are pants? Why can't they make more videos like this and make them longer? What technique did they use to get them this good? Was it because they used a 360 4k video camera or something?

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I've already given up trying to watch 360 videos. Sure the quality sucks but that's not the biggest problem.

The issue for me is that there is no positional tracking because it's filmed from one fixed point.
This isn't too bad watching 180 degrees of it but you try looking behind you and keeping you head in the same position. Start moving around too much and it's barf city.
Ok so you can turn around on you feet while keeping pretty still but try looking over your shoulder and that old sim sickness feeling quickly kicks in.

EnmaAisha
Honored Guest
I have great 180 degrees sbs videos, but freakin oculus video makes the video curved in the wrong direction, resulting in ugliness and lower quality.
I just want LiveViewRift to work again.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the big movie industry folks will stay away from VR at the current resolutions, the current screens lose image quality rapidly as objects move away which leaves virtually no room for a "stage as an actor".

Better compression tech might solve the low streaming quality problem, but the resolution limit is a hard one to crack.

This is one for the next generation, maybe even after, if you want positional tracking as well. I heard that Hollywood is already working with 4K headsets.

https://youtu.be/u9WpvVx0eMc

vlodato
Adventurer
iv watched a few 360 videos not on my rift and i dont really think they look any better then on my monitor. i think its more about the cameras then the rifts resolution because like others have said 3d movies look wonderful. on another note some of the 360 videos in vrideo were pretty good. specifically there was a rio 216 video that actually blew me away which normally does not happen with 360 videos. These videos work better standing as that gives you the ability to move freely.

quantum7
Protege

Do any of the VR 360 Video sites offer high quality visuals?  I've tried all of them, and they all look horrible.  The Jaunt McCartney stuff is nearly unwatchable, and the other stuff I've seen is very cool, but just horrible quality.

For instance the Seinfeld Q&A thing from the Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary just looks horrible.  It's amazing in theory, being able to check out all of the celebrities sitting in the crowd, but the experience is just ruined by the terrible video quality...

Are there ANY of these 360 VR videos that actually look good? 

I agree!  Those videos are absolutely embarrassingly horrible!  You cannot even identify any of the celebrities with that pathetic quality.  Why in the world would anyone release such ungodly horrible quality?  If I showed this to any of my friend or family, they would have absolutely no interest in the Oculus based on that.  I'm flabbergasted!   😞

gcadet
Honored Guest
deleted