cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After-effects of using Oculus Rift

draemn03
Explorer
Maybe someone's mentioned this before. I've been using the Oculus Rift for about a week now, and I notice that when I'm not using it, or even the next day after using it, that my vision occasionally dilates (not sure if that's the right word) or kind of squeezes, as if I was looking through the head set.

Does anybody else witness this kind of effect? In particular, I'd like to hear from someone who's been using it a bit longer, if maybe the effect continues or improves.
73 REPLIES 73

Karlgamer
Explorer
You're probably just noticing yourself focus. When using the Oculus Your eyes are focused out to infinity. Your eyes don't have to turn inward to look at something closer to you. When you take it off your eyes then have to focus again because some objects won't become clear until your eyes turn inward to focus. This would technically also slightly lower your personal FOV.

You have a great opportunity here.

Shamelessbullet
Explorer
Havnt heard of this issue yet my friend.

Ganjaroach
Explorer
I've had it for all most a week now and noticed that if I'm in the rift for 30 minutes +, when I take it off my eyes have a really hard time focusing. Doesn't last for longer then 15-20 minutes but I don't get sick or anything at all. I watched avatar in 3d using the rift the other night and that is about 3 hours long when I took off the rift my eyes felt really fucked up I went to sleep because it was late but when I woke up everything was fine again. I'm just happy I'm not one of the people that get sick using it, playing First law and delta draconis is really fun and if I got sick it would really suck. :lol:

GWSSE1119
Explorer
Hello Draemn03 (and to anyone else, this is my first post on the OR forums!)

I have to agree on the eye's-shifting focus after long use of the OR, I got my Rift last Friday, and have done nothing else but tinker with it. And after starting Fallout 3 over again (TriDef are AWESOME) I've been having 2~4 play sessions, so far my longest trek with the Oculus on without it being removed was about 3 hours. Afterwords I noticed my eye's tend to lose focus more often. Watching TV, i could tell that my eyes were having a hard time looking at a 2D screen after so long in the Rift. Whats even worse is that the projector (during lectures in class) is harder to focus on after using the OR, no idea why maybe i just have really bad eyes or something. I honestly dont know much about how the eyes focus and what not but Just thought i would share my similar experience.

Vin
Explorer
I have a similar problem with this. When I use the Rift for more than a few hours, my left eye (my worse eye) has extreme problems focusing for the next few hours. I think it has to do with the fact that I don't wear corrective lenses, and the lenses require different focus points for each of my eyes, causing the left eye to over adjust.

Someguitarist
Explorer
I wanted to add that I also experience the same thing. My eyes seem to focus/unfocus quickly or at random after a few hours in the Rift. It lessens after a while, and I'd imagine it would go away if I could ever stop using it!

What got me though, I played one session after feeling exhausted (I was about to go to bed, but didn't) and played some WW2 plane game that actually made me really sick. I immediatly turned it off, but when I went to lay down I felt like I was still falling. My inner ear was off for about a day or so...

draemn03
Explorer
I've been playing Half-Life 2 with it (actually my first time playing it, so I kind of get the full experience of it with the Rift). I've definitely been playing at least a couple hours at a time per day, probably 3 or 4 hours the first day I started. I don't get nauseous at all as long as the head tracking is smooth and as long as the images are converged well. It just that my eyes will occasionally shift the next day while I'm work, not terribly though.

kazaloo
Honored Guest
Yup, same here. It feels the same as using the rift when moving the head for example (still after about 4 hours after using it). I think my brain tries to adjust to it.
But I am only using the rift for 2 days now, so pretty fresh here.

Ganjaroach
Explorer
So is their anyone that has had the rift longer then a few weeks still have the focus problem? I'm wondering if this is something we can get use too or will it all ways happen?