Expert Protege

This is a bit of a curve
ball problem.

I have a CV1 headset.

Running on Windows 10 pro.

I recently purchased a Gigabyte G1 Gaming Xtreme
GTX 1080 with Gigabyte's VR Link (2x USB3 and 2x front HDMI ports) front case
panel.
For those who don't know, the graphics card has 3 display ports, 1 hdmi and a DVI-D on the back of the card, it also has 2 x HDMI on the front of the card, which are used for the VR Link front panel.
When VR Link is connected, it disables 2 of the Display ports on the back of the graphics card, allowing for 3 x hdmi and 1 DVI-D.
The graphics card supports 4 displays too.

I have attempted to get my Oculus rift working
on the front panel, but I am having all sorts of connectivity issues.

As I am a game developer, I use 3 monitors.
- All 3 monitors are at 2560x1440 resolution.

- Left monitor uses display port, middle monitor uses
DVI-D and right monitor uses HDMI.

Previously, in order to connect the rift, I
had to disconnect the right monitor (HDMI) in order to plug the rift in, and it
worked perfectly OK.
I also plug the rift and sensor into two rear USB 3.0 connections (these normally have a usb 3 extension cable running to 2 USB 3 connections at the front of my case, but previously, I needed to disconnect those for the rift and sensor).

I installed this new graphics card, connected
the VR link correctly, updated to Nvidia driver (368.81) and have tested a USB 3 hub (worked), USB 3 non-powered
hard drives and powered hard drives (both worked), so the USB 3 ports work
correctly, and run full speed.

I then unplugged my HDMI monitor and tested both
front panel HDMI ports on the VR Link, and the monitor connected immediately,
which is great 🙂

When I knew it all worked properly, I put the monitor
back into the back of the graphics card's HDMI so I had 3 monitors connected again and
decided to get the rift tested on the VR Link front panel.

I connected the Rift's sensor, it connected
immediately, no errors, white light on the top, and detected in the Oculus
software.

I then connected the Oculus headset to USB 3, it
made the windows 10 hardware connection sound, so I then plugged the HDMI in on the front
panel too.
The rift showed an orange light where the face sensor is.

I then put the rift on and the little face
detector goes off, a little "bloop" noise is made but no display
shown on the rift.

I then unplugged it, and got a message to say
that the HDMI was disconnected on the Rift...which I thought was strange since
it seemed like HDMI wasn't even detected.

So I tried the old method of connecting the rift
on the new graphics card by plugging the USB and HDMI in at the back of the
computer and unplugging my HDMI monitor, and the rift worked as expected. (I was double checking).

I then tried to plug in at the front panel
again, but this time, noticed a USB connection error a few seconds after
connecting the USB in so figured maybe there is a USB problem with the rift,
even though the Oculus software says it is connected.

I ran the oculus compatibility tool, and there were absolutely no problems detected.

But despite this, I updated my motherboard USB drivers to the
latest ones, which made absolutely no difference despite the driver saying it
improves compatibility with the Oculus Rift. The driver is an ASMedia driver (
Asmedia_USB3_V1.16.35.1).

My motherboard is an Asus Maximus VIII Hero.

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

I then updated intel chipset driver (
Intel_Chipset_V10.1.1.27), once
again, no difference.

I restarted the computer, and immediately got a USB 3 connection error, unplugged the rift and sensors, plugged them back in, and it's saying that it's connected, and remains connected....as you can see (after about 15mins of having it connected).
Orange light on in the Rift, but still no display...
http://imgur.com/94cgaMa

Now, this is the next part that gets confusing...

I decided to try the cases front panel USB 3's which actually connect through the rear USB 3 ports (rear ports which I know work with
the rift), and I have the same connectivity issues with the Rift headset in the
front panel USB 3 ports...which makes me think that maybe the cable is a
problem there....I don't know though.

So I would have thought it was VR Link that was
the problem, and that it's to do with my new GPU, but since everything else
works in the VR Link front panel, and the Oculus has USB 3 connectivity issues in the
other USB 3 front panel connections, I believe it is more to do with a USB 3
controller on the motherboard, but then, if that were the case, why does the rift work in the rear
panel USB 3's, but not front panel ones that are extended off the rear panel
USB 3's? And why does the sensor work on all of the USB 3.0's but not the
headset?

I should also note that I disabled the option to
turn off power to USB hubs to save on power as suggested in another thread, but
this didn't make any difference.

I am baffled, I don't even know what else to try
other than maybe an older Nvidia driver...it's the last thing I could try to my
knowledge, other than to only have one monitor connected, and the Oculus, even though the Oculus has previously worked with 2 monitors connected before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is a hindrance to my game development, and VR Gaming in general, it also makes me feel like I have wasted extra dollars on this graphics card for the VR Link panel, despite it working fine for everything except the oculus headset (which is contradictory to what the VR Link was designed for).

16 REPLIES 16

Otreum
Expert Protege
UPDATE:
I have rolled back to a previous NVidia Driver (368.69) with no success.

So I unplugged the connection on the rift headset itself, checked it (no problems) and plugged it back in.

I have uninstalled the Oculus software, restarted, then reinstalled, gone through the entire set up process again, it says everything is connected and working, I get to last part of setup where you must put the rift on, I can hear audio, but no display again.

I then tried to run some oculus games, such as dreadhalls, luckeys tale, even valkyrie, and when they show up on my monitor, it shows motion tracking working perfectly fine, controller works perfectly fine, just no display on the oculus still, even though white light is on and everything else says it is connected.

I have unplugged all monitors except the main monitor and attempted all the same tests, still, no difference.

Even though the light is solid white, every now and then it flickers orange...not sure if this is of significance or not.

I have also tried to change all ASMedia drivers to microsoft ones, but this does not solve the issue either. I thought perhaps there was a problem with the Asus ones as suggested on a reddit thread.

USB connectivity issues are still intermittent. (Sometimes there will be a usb driver error, other times not, even in same ports).

Fiege
Expert Protege
Alas, it sounds as if your rift has died, but then again the usb unit on your board is a tough one to handle. I have the maximus viii formula, which is pretty much the same and I am fighting the usb controllors ever since.

Would you mind pointing me to the reddit thread you mentioned?

There is an ASmedia driver 1.16.36 out but its hard to get. I found a link to a download page on reddit.
Any chance of triying your rift on a friends computer or Installing a clean windows on a spare hdd or so.
Just to make sure the HMD isn't dead.

Otreum
Expert Protege

Fiege said:

Alas, it sounds as if your rift has died, but then again the usb unit on your board is a tough one to handle. I have the maximus viii formula, which is pretty much the same and I am fighting the usb controllors ever since.

Would you mind pointing me to the reddit thread you mentioned?

There is an ASmedia driver 1.16.36 out but its hard to get. I found a link to a download page on reddit.
Any chance of triying your rift on a friends computer or Installing a clean windows on a spare hdd or so.
Just to make sure the HMD isn't dead.

Hmm, the Rift definitely isn't dead, I can plug it in the usual way, in fact, I played Adr1ft for about an hour yesterday and a little bit of Luckeys tale for maybe 15mins without any problems, except I think I had the Rift on too tight, so had a nice big ol' red ring around my face XD

I think this was the reddit thread, half way down the page, CarbonFibreOptik's post.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zrtgs/psa_your_usb_30_ports_may_not_be_compatible_with/

The rift works on the back of the graphics card, and the other computers in the house only have ports on the back of their graphics cards, they don't have VR Link, which is what i'm trying to get this to work with.

I also contacted Gigabyte support to see if they have any input on the matter, they initially said it might be a problem with the HDMI ports not working on the GPU, but then I tested monitors in the VR Link ports and they work fine.

I even plugged a monitor into the VR Link, and ran the oculus the usual way at the back of the computer, that was when I played Adr1ft and Luckeys tale.

It's such a bizarre problem, the problems kinda contradict one another lol

Otreum
Expert Protege
UPDATE:

I received a response from support from Gigabyte. It seems that they could replicate the issue themselves, and are working alongside Oculus to try and resolve the issue, albeit it seems to be a case by case problem.

"Dear Otreum,

We appreciate your information. Currently, we are still working on no display output from Oculus when connected to VR Link front panel. Meanwhile, we had verified two Oculus and one can duplicate the issue while the other cannot (Let's say A works well while B does not work). We had contacted Oculus for support and they suggested us change the cable from Oculus. After we remove the cable from Oculus A and use it on Oculus B, Oculus B started receiving signals. 

Our engineer will keep searching for solution on this matter and in the meantime, we suggest you report this matter to Oculus as well and see how they can support on this matter. 

Regards,

GIGABYTE
"

neverthehero
Honored Guest
Glad I came back and looked at this update. Sadly, it seems to be very difficult to actually correspond to either of these companies with out exhausting patience... The end result though doesn't seem to be any type of Update/Firmware and the cable is not easily switched out..

neverthehero
Honored Guest

Otreum said:

UPDATE:

I received a response from support from Gigabyte. It seems that they could replicate the issue themselves, and are working alongside Oculus to try and resolve the issue, albeit it seems to be a case by case problem.

"Dear Otreum,

We appreciate your information. Currently, we are still working on no display output from Oculus when connected to VR Link front panel. Meanwhile, we had verified two Oculus and one can duplicate the issue while the other cannot (Let's say A works well while B does not work). We had contacted Oculus for support and they suggested us change the cable from Oculus. After we remove the cable from Oculus A and use it on Oculus B, Oculus B started receiving signals. 

Our engineer will keep searching for solution on this matter and in the meantime, we suggest you report this matter to Oculus as well and see how they can support on this matter. 

Regards,

GIGABYTE
"

So inspired by this post, I went out and purchased another Rift and low and behold it works with the extender.

JigoroKano
Honored Guest
I'm having the same problem.  I noticed I get audio too but since I disconnected the HDMI the audio must be over USB not HDMI.  I think the card is simply not switching to the front HDMI ports because when I connect it to the back HDMI port, over the exact same jumper cable it works.  So, with it plugged into the front and rebooting the card is failing to switch to the front HDMI ports.  How do you FORCE it to go front?  I might be plugged into the wrong display port I think that therefore forces it to go back...

JigoroKano
Honored Guest
Is there a way to FORCE the card to use front hdmi ports?  Or have the card tell you which one is active?

VirtualWolfi
Explorer
Hello all,

I have the exact same Problem. Front Panel ist not working, on the backside of it, it works like a charme.
So, if this is a cable issue, why does it work without any problem on the backside?
I think (and that is only my opinion) that it is a power issue - the internal HDMI ports deliver not enough power for the signal to the Rift.