cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do most things apear "too big"?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I found that in many 360 Photos aswell es Videos, things apear not to be in their natural size, but apear bigger than they really are.

Examples are the clowns in that Circus video who apear quiet massive. Like if they are... uh 2 meters tall, but with proportonal increased heads and all.

I experience with many of these kind of videos. This is one thing that will limit the feeling of "reality", even if Screen Door and every other problem is solved.
12 REPLIES 12

drash
Heroic Explorer
The vast majority of 360 photos and videos you see right now are all 2D. As such both of your eyes see pretty much the same thing which means everything looks really big.

But yes, sometimes 3D videos and experiences are just scaled up too big (or too small), and sometimes it comes down to perceptual differences in standing vs sitting (compared to what your virtual self is doing), and sometimes it's just an IPD mismatch. With the Gear VR there's nothing you can do about that for now.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Yeticrab
Explorer
poor authoring can be blamed, if the cameras are too close together things will seem big. Do you perhaps have a very widely spaced eyes?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Yeticrab" wrote:
poor authoring can be blamed, if the cameras are too close together things will seem big. Do you perhaps have a very widely spaced eyes?

I dont think so. But I have a different thing: One eyeball is 3mm more forward then the other.

I dont know if this affects the size how filmed objects apear.

Phoon
Honored Guest
I actually like one photo in particular, where a turtle is so big, it looks like it could bite you in half! Scared the hell outta me when I spun around to see it behind me! 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
Eventhough this is a old thread, I would like to answer.
I have the same problem. And I don't think it is only connected to 2D Material, widely spaced eyes or other small influences. If the video is already recorded without proper lenses the effect can be devastating. For me the only solution for some videos is to switch to 180x101 manually in milkVR or by renaming the file. Then I see the images of both eyes side by side, which is of course annoying, but at least the video is scaled better. Videos with far too big objects plus 3D are the most uncomfortable content I have seen so far. I prefer to lose immersion but being able to watch the movie at all.

shaukat090
Honored Guest

Fanty said:

I found that in many 360 Photos aswell es Videos, things apear not to be in their natural size, but apear bigger than they really are.

Examples are the clowns in that Circus video who apear quiet massive. Like if they are... uh 2 meters tall, but with proportonal increased heads and all.

I experience with many of these kind of videos. This is one thing that will limit the feeling of "reality", even if Screen Door and every other problem is solved.

i have the same problem , have found any solution yet , another thing i noticed if i use my vr without plugging in the port not using oculus app , like google card board then every thing looks perfect .

rmzalbar
Protege
I've experimented a lot with this using Unity camera placement.

For 2D content, up-close objects will always look too large due to everything sitting at infinity focus. Full stop. For 2D content, it's best to have everything remain 20 feet away or further. EDIT: It's not infinity *focus* that matters, but rather the lack of stereo separation will make everything seem ~20 feet or further. Therefore anything closer than this will appear too large.

For 3D content, apparent size depends on angular size in your view vs. stereo separation. If separation is too wide, close up things will look TOO close, so your brain will think they are miniatures.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I miss Fanty's enlightening posts where is he since March?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

antares777
Honored Guest
This is a problem in Oculus Go as well.