cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for Sensor Disconnection Issue

cybereality
Grand Champion
We've just started rolling out a possible fix for the repeated sensor disconnection issue. This is a problem that could cause the sensor to disconnect while idle on certain hardware configurations. Although we had some trouble reproducing the exact problem in our lab, we have a good idea of what the core issue was and believe it may be resolved.

Some customers have already received the update, and everyone else should have it within a few hours. The update should happen automatically, but you'll have to just unplug and replug the sensor to reset its state.

I'd recommend people wait until later this evening to test and see if the fix actually resolves their issue. Either way, please report back so we can understand if the fix was a success. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
304 REPLIES 304

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's the correct number. It's the second one you should be looking at.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

nafester
Explorer
So I  had a bit of this sensor disconnect issue, albeit only after recovering my computer from sleep mode. I would fix it by restarting the OVR service. This update appears to have fixed it so recovering from sleep mode still works, however it seems to have introduced a much more serious issue. Now in basically all VR content (including Home) there are micro-stutters every minute or two. I've checked the debug tool and as best I can tell 'compositor frames dropped' appears to go up at roughly the same rate as the stutters, though it's tough to be sure.

Tried a different USB socket, no joy - plus it worked flawlessly pre-update, so feels like it shouldn't be a hardware issue.

Here's the specs should it be useful:
Intel i7-6700k
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
16gb G.Skill DDR4-3200
Gigabyte G1 GTX1080 (Nvidia Driver 372.54).
Win 10 Pro 64bit with the latest Anniversary update.
Oculus App Version 1.70.263882 (1.70.270909)

Any advice appreciated. As it stands, my rift isn't really useable as the stutters are quite uncomfortable.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you upload these log files?
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-ri...

nafester
Explorer
Thanks for the quick response - added the file to the original message.

tommet
Expert Protege
Anyway to force this update?  I've not gotten it yet, but am experiencing the issue.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Maybe try restarting your computer. Everyone should have it now.

UncleDirk
Protege
I've got it now. I was looking at the sensor firmware version number and did not realise it was the app instead! lol
I will report back soon, as I've had numerous drop-outs.

I have un-plugged the sensor and re-connected as mentioned above.
Here goes ....

DNACowboy
Adventurer
Nafester: did you by any chance update your graphics drivers yesterday? The latest NVidia drivers are causing micro stutters.

good luck
Who is John Galt?

nafester
Explorer

DNACowboy said:

Nafester: did you by any chance update your graphics drivers yesterday? The latest NVidia drivers are causing micro stutters.

good luck

I didn't, but I just noticed that the new drivers are available. Thanks for letting me know - I'll avoid them for the time being! The micro-stutters are quite recent (just since the Home update) so there may be something else unrelated, I still need to fiddle with various things to see if something else is the cause.

panuels
Honored Guest
Hi,

just want to add some info to this discussion.
I only got the disconnection error this morning, with the latest App (1.7.0.270909) .  But since august I've had all kinds of trouble with both my video card and ALL usb ports. Windows 10 reported these (see event viewer) as kernel power errors. And indeed Microsoft has recently rolled out kernel updates which were supposed to make Windows more stable (right). Since no solution worked I let Windows 10 do the  Windows 10 1607 hardware update (takes about 1,5 hour).  After that my disconnection problem (and all other USB related problems) were solved (but it also cleared my SB Omega wireless firmware).

Just saying that things might be more complex than you think and that it's a good possibility that Oculus was not at fault here.

Elpedro.