cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged Core User Reviews

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
High Voltage Software has just released Damaged Core - a new first person shooter, which you can vote on here. Please post your rating taking into consideration fun factor, value for money, overall polish and using the following criteria if you have purchased/played the game:

5 Stars - Awesome Must Buy
4 Stars - Very Good Not essential.
3 Stars - Average 
2 Stars - Below Average

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
72 REPLIES 72

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Aw c'mon, even I'm a firm believer in stroking ones own ego. I like that the dev's are active with their own product; it shows character. When I set up the Goat Mountain VR ranking web page, one of the dev's competed.

Don't be prejudice, Shadow 😐

Melmix
Expert Protege
Damn I love this game. Only played around 30 minutes, but it is fast paced and the controls really work well. I was certain that the lack of "real" movement would ensure my dislike of the game, but I'm happy to say that it doesn't detract from the game at all. Instead they implemented it as a mechanic you need to time correctly on top of the fast paced shooting. I can't recommend this enough. Definately one of the best buys currently out there (along with Edge of Nowhere) 🙂
Me for the next year... :geek: VR4EVER! :lol:

CrashFu
Consultant
Whew. I finished the first couple of missions and then had to sit down.. I worked a full shift today, so my back isn't really prepared for a long session of standing VR... (main reason I have 0 interest in the Vive, y'know)

Too early to cast my vote, but here are my thoughts so far:

The shooting mechanics are solid (all aimed by look) and every time I jump into a new enemy robot (or conveniently provided turret, in a couple instances) it's fun seeing what kind of new firepower I have to work with.  The way enemies react to shots is also generally very satisfying.   Aah, the guilt-free pleasure of destroying robots..

The teleport mechanics and their context in the game world are done really well.  A big part of the game is deciding in the heat of the moment which enemy has the right firepower for the job at hand, and more importantly which one is currently standing in the best position.  Like, I might want to jack that missile-shooting Valkyrie (seriously when would that ever not be your first choice?)  but if there are swarms of kamikaze explosive drones making a bee-line for an objective I have to protect, then big slow missiles might not be the best thing to shoot them down.  Or I might want to grab that shotgun bot over there, buuuut if I grab the lowly vanguard at the rear of the enemy pack instead, I can blow the rest of their heads off with it before they know what's hit them.  It's neat that the more powerful enemies are typically protected from hacking by hard-to-reach weak points.. you either blast those weak points with some very precise aiming (and then enjoy your new, more powerful temporary body) or just say "screw it" and destroy the whole thing before it can cause too much damage to whatever objectives you're trying to protect (or destroy your host bodies so fast that it prevents you from completing objectives)

One small concern is that the game might not be all that difficult?  In those first couple levels, I didn't feel like I was in much danger, because it gave me ample time (a few whole seconds) to pick a new body to jump into if my current one was destroyed.. and failing any suitable bodies, there were always invincible/invisible camera drones around to jack, which although possessing no combat ability, let me have as much time as I needed to pick a new host.  Sure, I could still lose the level by failing to protect an objective, but nothing was going to outright kill me.   Then again, that was the first couple of levels, so it's very well possible they'll start taking away some of these safety nets as the game progresses.. perhaps no more camera drones after a certain point, so I have to jump exclusively from enemy to enemy with no "safe point"?   Or maybe the time limit on leaving a destroyed host will shorten on subsequent levels?  Or it could simply be that the level objectives will become challenging enough that my personal mortality stops being a concern altogether (truth be told, I could have protected / destroyed those first few missions objectives a LOT more efficiently, as my place on the leaderboards will attest)

Looking forward to resuming the game tomorrow, once all my tired / achey parts have rested up. :tired_face:

Addendum: Okay yeah level 3 was way harder. I actually failed the final part a couple times before getting past it.  Not to spoil anything, but focusing on a time-limited attack objective while also trying to get some breathing room for your defense objective and whatever shiny body you're trying to deal damage with by clearing out the enemy masses.. that IS intense.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Whew - CrashFu that was a very good review.

blanes
Rising Star
I read that you need to have a swivel chair to play seated - is that true ?  My chair is fixed in a cockpit rig so is there some option to turn using the right joystick that can be enabled ? Otherwise what other options to play aside from standing which is bit difficult in the way my gaming room / cockpit is setup.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Played the game last night and was so awesome! The 'teleportation' system is really well done that it feels invisible, they turned a draw back of VR locomotion into a feature of the game. I get why some people might get put off/being very anti teleportation but when it's a feature of a game then its a different story, you don't complain when you teleport in flat games when your some kind of teleporting wizard! The premise of why you can teleport is pretty awesome, being a virus infecting other robots minds. Getting a lot of Matrix being an Agent vibe!  B)

One thing i must stress is this game must be played standing, I don't know why the developer didn't put a pop-up at the beginning recommending it, being able to quickly turn your whole body makes its a lot more believable instead of the gun being attached to your head when your seated.

To go over the difficulty mentioned by @CrashFu I would say it's most likely just the first few missions easing you in as time is still slowing me down to show some videos on my screen explaining what new robots do etc. That being said I still managed to fail a mission, ops. 😄 (I'll update this once I get further in the game.)

I'm enjoying finally having a fps in VR, the gun locked to your head does feel strange at first but I got used to it very quickly and kinda forgot about it, however I'd love it if this game got Touch support with decoupled arms. That being said the Dev has done the best with what they were given and they did it well.

I'm sticking with 5 stars for now as my 'very early opinion' of my first night as I haven't felt this satisfied by a purchase on OH since Chronos. I'm gonna keep playing this and if anything changes then so will my score 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I bit the bullet and purchased the game for £22.99, interesting no one is mentioning how blurry the visuals look even the mirror screen is blurry. I'll try this with the 1.5 rendering and hope this improves it. I am playing all settings maxed. You can see how blurry the visuals are in Zenbane's screenshots and mine below.

The character below is not even that far away and yet you cannot make out much detail.  Running PPD at 1.5 causes quite a bit of judder as well and doesn't offer much improvement. To be clear this is not a review just an observation. 

qchysmir5glq.jpg

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
@blanes there is no option to turn using the thumbstick which is a shame. You can reset view with the back button though to give you more viewing range but this is not a proper use for the reset view button. Two things I dislike about the game within the first few minutes playing. 

This should be advertised as a standing/ game only as it's not very playable seated at all.

blanes
Rising Star
Thanks I was keen on it until I found this out ... might just pass for the time being.  I wonder if it would be so difficult to implement the ability to turn quickly using the right thumbstick ?  Perhaps they might patch that in for people who can only play from a fixed seated position, hopeful.  😉

O.T. The new tables in Pinball FX2 have consumed my gaming time at the moment, totally awesome !

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Upload VR are doing a grand job of being the voice of this game on reddit (being sarcastic) but at least they have posted there regarding how long the game is rather than in their review. Looking around at some other comments I am glad I'm not the only one who feels certain publications appear to be promotional tools knowingly or otherwise for game developers/publishers.

"UploadVR_JoeUploadVR 6 points 16 hours ago 

Depending on how good you are between 6-10 hours

@blanes yes a quick turn option would help greatly using LB RB buttons.

I give you all an example of how this game is unplayable seated. In the very first mission you are tasked with shooting balls in a wall to prevent more enemies spawning in but the angles at which the bots appear means you can't sit and turn enough to shoot the balls. If seated you have to wait to get lucky if an enemy moves into a position which gives you the correct angle - meanwhile your dropship is getting battered.  

It's interesting to see all over reddit from a number of people that this game is "Standing Only" really including Palmer Lucky himself. Yet not a mention of it in the review from UploadVR or the official game page. This could easily be fixed with a simply turn mechanic or right thumbstick control.

My gut feeling right now is there's a ton of enthusiasm for this game due to an overall lack of shooter content on the Rift, but having just come out of Deus Ex Mankind Divided in pseudo VR and having played Raw Data on the Vive which offers full movement, this game feels like a step backwards in some regards. I hope as I move further into the game it grabs me more.

Edit: I can confirm that this game is way better suited standing up. Even a swivel chair isn't suitable really as you can't turn as quick as standing up. So Blanes, this one isn't for you unless you can stand on the spot and use an Xbox One controller.