cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After-effects of using Oculus Rift

draemn03
Explorer
Maybe someone's mentioned this before. I've been using the Oculus Rift for about a week now, and I notice that when I'm not using it, or even the next day after using it, that my vision occasionally dilates (not sure if that's the right word) or kind of squeezes, as if I was looking through the head set.

Does anybody else witness this kind of effect? In particular, I'd like to hear from someone who's been using it a bit longer, if maybe the effect continues or improves.
73 REPLIES 73

goettel
Explorer
I've had similar effects, and I kinda enjoy them whilst my primate brain is finding a way to compensate.

I call it Oculus Rift Cessation Syndrome (ORCS). 8-)

MannyLectro
Explorer
I have to say I am a bit scared by the after effects of using the Rift.
After 3 days here is my list :

-Small but constant feeling of light head and vertigo even hours after using the Rift

-Feeling of still being on the Rift, mostly for the tracking, few hours after using the Rift

-Eye Strain for hours after using the Rift only a couple of hours (but not worse if used more)

-Having hard time to focus on small text and information for hours after using the Rift

I hope my brain will adjust in the RIGHT way... otherwise I'm a bit scared by what could happen.
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

Dysheekie
Explorer
I guess one benefit of still not having my Rift is that I can let you guys test out the short term affects of using it 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm noticing some similar effects, but they seem pretty mild so I'm not super concerned.

For the vision issues, I think it has something to do with having a mild lazy eye (never diagnosed for me, but now all of sudden after using Rift I'm aware my right eye is weak). In the rift the lazy eye is doing different things than it is used to in real world since everything is in focus on the rift. The right eye now only has to worry about aiming in the right direction to get a converged image. My theory (er...hope really) is the rift is helping fix my lazy eye! No way I'm going to stop using it now. 🙂

I don't get motion sick at all, but for the motion issues, I spent a week on a ship and for 3-4 days afterwards I felt like the world was swaying. It didn't make me sick, but it was something I noticed. I think Rift can have some opposite motion effects that could last due to disconnect between ear and eye.

temp89
Honored Guest
Nothing so far.

Battler
Honored Guest
"MannyLectro" wrote:
I have to say I am a bit scared by the after effects of using the Rift.
After 3 days here is my list :

-Small but constant feeling of light head and vertigo even hours after using the Rift

-Feeling of still being on the Rift few hours after using the Rift

-Eye Strain for hours after using the Rift only a couple of hours (but not worse if used more)

-Having hard time to focus on small text and information for hours after using the Rift

I hope my brain will adjust in the RIGHT way... otherwise I'm a bit scared by what could happen.

feeling of still being inside the rift? sounds like some people might go insane because they cant tell
the difference from vr and real life :shock:
Namielus' Oculus Virtual Lounge:

Birdy
Honored Guest
doesnt sound healthy this topic 😞
honestly im gona stop using it for a while because i dont have a good feeling about it.
im just gona observe here for a while what happen after long term usage
they say the only good way to view 3d is with holograms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux6aD6vE9sk

Anonymous
Not applicable
"kazaloo" wrote:
Yup, same here. It feels the same as using the rift when moving the head for example (still after about 4 hours after using it). I think my brain tries to adjust to it.
But I am only using the rift for 2 days now, so pretty fresh here.

I had the same feeling - only lasting for about 15 minutes after using the rift for an extended period of time (over 40 mins) - where when I moved my head my vision took a while to 'catch-up' with what my head was facing (a few milliseconds). It's exactly like the latency effect when inside the rift. It's almost definitely the brain compensating for this delay. Moving my eyes had no delay effect, just moving my head.

It doesn't seem to happen any more though, this just happened in the first few days of having the rift.

MannyLectro
Explorer
feeling of still being inside the rift? sounds like some people might go insane because they cant tell
the difference from vr and real life

No I don't think you understand what I meant... Of course I can tell the difference between being in the Rift and in reality...

Yup, same here. It feels the same as using the rift when moving the head for example

This is what I meant...

Also, since I played with the Rift two days ago I feel dizzy, I have nauseas, trouble focusing my eyes, I feel exhausted and I have eye strain. I didn't touch the Rift since then, but the effects are not leaving. I am a little scared...
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

Nedo
Explorer
Folks, we need more information why just you get this symptoms,
like whats your age, do you wear glasses, using drugs or alcohol and so on.
otherwise this thread makes no sense.

I'm 44 and never felt anything similar after using the Rift,
i dont wear glasses btw. but a few drinks here and there :lol:
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016