cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMac with Windows setup

AdamL288
Honored Guest
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of an issue regarding setting up my new Rift. For Unity development and Mac demos, I use my MacBook Pro which has a built in HDMI slot. However as most of the demos are Windows only, I have set up a Windows partition on my iMac using boot camp. I've tried this on my MacBook but due to memory limitations it's a bit slow and tends to lag the games.

So I'm wondering, what's the setup for the Rift on an iMac? There's no HDMI port, so my current setup involves the DVI on the back of the box, connected using the DVI/VGA adapter to the end of a VGA/mini DV port in my mac. I'm running windows 7. However no matter how I try to set up the displays, I'm getting no output on my Rift. The light on the box does turn on though.

Anyone else with this setup who can help me out?

Thanks,
Adam
5 REPLIES 5

Sawersadam
Honored Guest
Hi Adam
I'm using iMac with Windows 7 too.
I'm using a mini-display to HDMI adapter which hasn't given me any issues, mine is a cheap generic one I picked up from Dick Smith in Australia (great if you live in Oz).
http://www.dicksmith.com.au/apple-computers/ds-mini-dp-to-hdmi-adaptor-dsau-xb1501

Otherwise I expect Amazon and a dozen others stock something similar...

Cheers

AdamL288
Honored Guest
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to pick one up after work today - will let you know how it goes 🙂

whoisonline
Explorer
"Adaml288" wrote:
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to pick one up after work today - will let you know how it goes 🙂

How did it go?

I'm wait for http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/ .. i wonder how that will go with the rift 🙂

AdamL288
Honored Guest
Hi, thanks for the reminder, I totally forgot to report back to this thread! The fix worked perfectly, many thanks 😄

AdamsImmersive
Honored Guest
I'm running OS X rather than Windows on my Mac, but I can say that a cheap-o MiniDisplayPort-to-HDML adapter plugged directly into my Thunderbolt port woks perfectly with the Rift. (Even with an HDMI splitter in between to mirror the Rift to a third display without performance loss.)
Morgan Mac OS XUnity