Breakthrough For Many Issues: 'UserModePowerService' - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Breakthrough For Many Issues: 'UserModePowerService'

Comments

• XMercXMerc Posts: 108
    Hiro Protagonist
    If i'm just sitting in the Oculus home room and no apps open I RARELY get any errors..but as soon as I open an app the errors start coming...some apps worse than others. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Also when I put my sensor in my on board USB 2.0 port I get no more errors. It only happens on the add on Inateck USB 3.0 card.
  • VonTornefeldVonTornefeld Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2016
    I am going to do that, but i mention that i undid(!) the fix you brought us. (sorry bad english)
    DNACowboy said:
    @VonTornefield
    @Xmerc

Guys, can you both go into event viewer, see 'summary of administrative events'? In that box you'l see 'errors', click the '+' symbol and it will will open up, double click 'OculusVR'.
    Now, please highlight each entry and report the first half a dozen here.

thanks.

03/09 05:35:56.599 {!ERROR!} [DML:CameraImpl]

WMTD302N4000DF: Breaking out of capture loop due to catastrophic error. OVR Error: Code: -8020 -- ovrError_HALNordicSyncNoFrames Description: Sync pulses sent but no frames received OVRTime: 92218.307198 Time: 2016-09-03 05:35:56 [599:161:300]

03/09 05:35:56.598 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error]

Sync pulses sent but no frames received

03/09 05:35:56.412 {!ERROR!} [FBNS]

ClientImpl.cpp:169 Failed to connect to the MQTT server

03/09 05:35:56.397 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error]

WaitForFrame wait timeout

03/09 05:35:11.568 {!ERROR!} [HAL:CommOcusbvid]

WMTD302N4000DF: CancelIoAndWaitForRequestCompletions: Failed to wait for all requests to complete. Attempting to shutdown anyway. Wait result: 0xffffffff, Last Error: 0x6

03/09 05:35:11.535 {!ERROR!} [DML:CameraImpl]

WMTD302N4000DF: Breaking out of capture loop due to catastrophic error. OVR Error: Code: -8020 -- ovrError_HALNordicSyncNoFrames Description: Sync pulses sent but no frames received OVRTime: 92173.243574 Time: 2016-09-03 05:35:11 [535:537:600]

03/09 05:35:11.535 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error]

03/09 05:35:11.334 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error]

WaitForFrame wait timeout

03/09 05:33:58.346 {!ERROR!} [DML:CameraImpl]

WMTD302N4000DF: Breaking out of capture loop due to catastrophic error. OVR Error: Code: -8020 -- ovrError_HALNordicSyncNoFrames Description: Sync pulses sent but no frames received OVRTime: 92100.054472 Time: 2016-09-03 05:33:58 [346:435:400]

03/09 05:33:58.346 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error]

Ok, to get that, i did a small play session with Dreamdeck (sensor disconnecting every minute or so), and being in Home (same disconnecting errors) for like 10 minutes. Then i turned off my WiFi controller or board, (Qualcomm Atheros i think) and the disconnecting errors SUDDENLY disappeared. I did 4 demos of Dreamdeck without a single error and almost 10 minutes of Minecraft and no errors too ! The logs looks like there are only network related errors now.

• DNACowboyDNACowboy Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    edited September 2016
    I am going to do that, but i mention that i undid(!) the fix you brought us. (sorry bad english)
    DNACowboy said:
    @VonTornefield
    @Xmerc

Guys, can you both go into event viewer, see 'summary of administrative events'? In that box you'l see 'errors', click the '+' symbol and it will will open up, double click 'OculusVR'.
    Now, please highlight each entry and report the first half a dozen here.

thanks.

Ok, to get that, i did a small play session with Dreamdeck (sensor disconnecting every minute or so), and being in Home (same disconnecting errors) for like 10 minutes. Then i turned off my WiFi controller or board, (Qualcomm Atheros i think) and the disconnecting errors SUDDENLY disappeared. I did 4 demos of Dreamdeck without a single error and almost 10 minutes of Minecraft and no errors too ! The logs looks like there are only network related errors now.

I'm pleased, wifi controllers are well-known to cause hardware conflicts with the Rift.

XMerc said:
    Also when I put my sensor in my on board USB 2.0 port I get no more errors. It only happens on the add on Inateck USB 3.0 card.

Go into your bios/advanced and turn off 'USB Legacy Support', reboot and report back.

Who is John Galt?
    Hiro Protagonist
    @DNACowboy
    I have turned USB Legacy Free Mode (What my BIOS calls it) both on and off and no change to the Oculus errors.
  • ozarsenalozarsenal Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited September 2016

Editing local policy fix doesn't seem possible via gpedit.msc (after installing manually) with windows 10 Home. The Power Management folder doesn't exist in gpedit in Windows 10 Home under Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System ->

I have tried adding the reg key manually below

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings!ActivePowerScheme

Value is set to 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

and pasting in the GUID for the high performance plan with the USB Selective Suspend Setting disabled,  but still getting the usb resets.

Same event every time -

Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:4808) reset policy scheme from {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} to {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}

Can someone (@DNACowboy ?) who has the fix working please check the registry key and confirm that the value type is a string value and not something else? Is there something else that needs to be activated to enforce the policy?

FYI @cybereality

• UnFknBLievableUnFknBLievable Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Cyber - Can you give us any insight to where your engineering team are at?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,285 Volunteer Moderator
    In Elite dangerous I often had tracking lost (maybe every 10min or so). Since I upgraded from a geforce 980 to 1080 the other day I had frequent hdmi disconnections (which were fixed by just clicking in the elite window, so seemed nothing was really wrong physically) and crashes.
    Last night (after yet another crash / display missing) I went into advanced power settings and changed the usb power mode stuff. Today I've played several hours of Elite with no glitches at all. It hasn't lost tracking or hdmi.
    (I didn't do all the stuff in the OP, I just went to advanced settings of the high performance profile. I'm in windows 10 education, which is similar to enterprise, I've got more control than home edition)

Might just be coincidence, I'd better do some more "testing". :)

• UnFknBLievableUnFknBLievable Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    That's pretty much all the power settings I was able to change. Other than device manager and unchecking the USB power management for sensor and every other USB device.
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 214
    Nexus 6
    edited September 2016

Well that is interesting.

Albeit it does not explain why some people have no disconnects at all, how apparently software can have an impact on this and how some of the apparently successful workarounds may work and why we have two types of disconnect issues, the HMD and the sensor, which again do not occur for everybody.

For instance, I had HMD disconnects on the innatek card but not anymore since running the HMD from asmedia.

People also observe varying frequence of (sensor) disconnects depending on the running software. How can the HMD work fine in Oculus home but fail when applications are started? For me it was even one particular experience (using starforce copy protection) that *caused* sensor disconnects which never happened before or after (reported in separate post).

Don't know if that together with the powerplan resetting makes sense to an engineer.

However, if it does, I hope that could be fixed on Oculus side - stop resetting powerplan every few seconds. So users shouldnt be requiered to install a custom plan as descriped above.

Also people complained from day one about oculus messages flooding the windows event viewer. Maybe someone should just have an eye on that.

Greets.

• NeoEdoNeoEdo Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2016
    I've been very curious about this. I noticed the errors in the event log and knew SOMETHING was trying to switch the power plan unsuccessfully.

Thank you for the info and clarification, DNACowboy!!

My replacement Rift should arrive on Wednesday (bad shipping timing with the Labor Day weekend, hahaha. Would've received it sooner, I'm sure.). In the event this continues to occurs (the disconnects); at least we now have an idea of what is causing it. B)
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 214
    Nexus 6
    DNACowboy said:
    ... wifi controllers are well-known to cause hardware conflicts with the Rift.

Excuse me, what?!  Seems not to be too well known, thats first I hear about it. Also there is no (in-)compatibility list for wifi controllers that I know of nor is the wifi controller part of the Oculus compatibility checker.

The more components seem to interfere with the rift, the more hilarious becomes the determination of system wide rift compatibility.

I hope Oculus can find solutions to get the Rifts periphals more robust and less affected by those things.

Cheers

• VonTornefeldVonTornefeld Posts: 30
    Brain Burst

DNACowboy said:

Excuse me, what?!  Seems not to be too well known, thats first I hear about it.

Strange right ?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ok guys...I have 5 different USB 3.0 cards (one is actually a USB 3.1 card), I have tried ALL of them and they all either have disconnect issues or do not work at all. These are with Fresco, Renases, VIA, ASMedisa controllers. The VIA and Renases did not work with the sensor at all but did with the head unit. The ASMedia and Fresco both work with the sensor and Head Unit but both have the same disconnect problems. The Asmedia i'm using is actually a USB 3.1 card that delivers even more power to the sensor than the Inateck USB 3.0 card does. So it can't be a hardware issue as none of the USB 3.0/3.1 cards work. And they work just fine with my other devices like mouse,keyboard, etc. This IS a software/firmware conflict either with Oculus or Windows and i'm leaning towards the Oculus software. We need a fix for this as it's exhausting constantly getting disconnect issues...BTW as noted before some apps cause disconnects more frequently than others. Currently I use the Oculus Video app to test as it provides the most disconnect problems that I have seen.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited September 2016
    Asmedia isn't supported... Actually it's known to have problems back in the day as well with drivers and disconnect issues as well. If you are using a Asmedia USB, it could very well be a hardware issue in that case. 

As for working with USB mouse/keyboard - they don't require a huge rate to work fine with. Actually, a small disconnect could happen fast enough that the system wouldn't know thinking it's just lag from the mouse data flow. With data on the other hand, it can be really super touchy.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Fresco is supported though. I've spent over 12 hours testing various cards, fixes, etc. and I can come to no other conclusion at this point other than a software/driver conflict with the Oculus hardware.
  • ChairmanchuckChairmanchuck Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    I also have the HDMI issue and its unbearable.
    Anyone knows what these mistakes mean:

07/09 17:38:29.698 {!ERROR!} [HW:Health] 
    LED state change unverified after 2 tries, will try again...

07/09 17:38:29.693 {!ERROR!} [HW:Health] 
    [HMD::setLEDMode] Failed to get Tracking Report.

07/09 17:38:29.686 {!ERROR!} [OAFInterface] 
    GetHMDInfo: USB Host Info was not available

07/09 17:37:53.346 {!ERROR!} [Registry] 
    Failed to read selected Oculus default language tag.

07/09 17:34:59.288 {!ERROR!} [HAL:CommOcusbvid] 
    WMTD302Q5000L4: 
    SetVideoControlData:
      Req   : SET_CUR
      UnitId: 4
      CS    : 3
      Length: 4
      Data:
          a0 00 00 00 
      --> Status: ffffe0b1

07/09 17:34:59.288 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] 
    CallDriver: Camera device gone

07/09 17:33:14.706 {!ERROR!} [OAFInterface] 
    GetHMDInfo: USB Host Info was not available

07/09 17:26:32.838 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] 
    [DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175

07/09 17:25:29.480 {!ERROR!} [OAF ERROR] 
    ..\..\..\AppTracker\AppTracker.cpp(134) : Unexpected exit (1971039)

And Oculus still doesnt want to replace the unit, since I ordered from Amazon.com as a European....
    Art3mis
    edited September 2016

DNACowboy said:

Excuse me, what?!  Seems not to be too well known, thats first I hear about it.

Strange right ?

According to developers if you use wifi on the 2.4 band you can get interference with the rift tracking. 

https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/38173/stuttering-when-using-cv1-the-first-time-after-the-pc-was-on-for-some-hours

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4eg5vg/cv1_setup_nightmare/?st=ist3u2ym&sh=6f274917

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4dojx3/wifi_interference_from_cv1/?st=ist3r7w1&sh=cfae9ab2

Who is John Galt?
    Brain Burst
    So. I just did a clean install of W10, still having the issue. It must be a hardware issue right, if the Oculus worked correctly without any issues at the beginning of August, right?
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Chairmanchuck

Many of us believe it is a software/driver/firmware conflict with the Oculus software and or Windows. Many people had no problems before August and do now. And many people only have issues with there Oculus in USB and no other devices.
    Art3mis
    XMerc said:
    @Chairmanchuck

Many of us believe it is a software/driver/firmware conflict with the Oculus software and or Windows. Many people had no problems before August and do now. And many people only have issues with there Oculus in USB and no other devices.
    Agreed,when I trawl my EV logs the 'power policy reset' issue only started in August, however, my friend has almost exactly the same rig but he doesn't get the problems, the only rig difference? His PSU is 1000 watt and mine 850.

Who is John Galt?
    Hiro Protagonist
    My PSU 1,060 watts and I have the disconnect Issues.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Holy cow...I think I just fixed my issues. Granted it's only been an hour but I can run apps that normally gave me disconnects every 30 seconds fine now. And Windows Event Viewer is giving me no more sensor errors! Ok...here's what I did and my rationale.

So after spending a week and countless hours trying to remedy this situation I ordered 5 different USB 3.0/1 cards with different controllers. I wanted to test everything to see what could possibly work. Well after going through all my cards, a couple didn't work at all, and the others all had the same disconnect issue. I've tried EVERY possible fix posted on these forums recently and none of them have helped me resolve my issues. One of my cards that I had the most hope for was a UNITEK USB 3.1 card with two ports. This I had hope in because if if was any kind of bandwidth or power issue this PCIE X4/SATA powered card would deliver more of both than any other card available. Well after installing it worked but gave me the same disconnect issues with the drivers that came on the CD and the Microsoft drivers. Well today after reading around the internet I found a thread somewhere saying ASMEDIA came out with a driver update around March that was specifically aimed at fixing Oculus compatibility issues. So of course I downloaded the driver and sadly it didn't seem to help. Then I found a firmware update for the card and figured what the heck...so I updated the cards firmware today(which actually told me was reverting to an older firmware in the installation process). After restarting my computer with the updated firmare and newer drivers I have had ZERO disconnects for an hour testing every app that gave me the most issues before. Only weird side effect is the Oculus software no longer displays what type of USB my sensor is connected to (USB 2.0 or 3.0)...as if it can't determine...but I could care less as long as everything works fine. I'll report back later if I have any more revelations or issues...but as of right now...something that I did with this card fixed my disconnect issues. 

Here's the card:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011I5RBKM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the updated driver:
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/usb30/Asmedia_USB_Win7-81-10_V116331.zip?_ga=1.252647241.1972958416.1473105157

Here's the cards firmware that ultimately fixed the disconnects:
    http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=2238&lang=en
  • andrinosandrinos Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    @DNACowboy so are you all worked out? Has the power policy fixed everything for you?
    Brain Burst
    XMerc said:
    @Chairmanchuck

Thats exactly my problem. No problems in July, disconnect problems in August. Though I actually returned the Oculus now after talking to Amazon and they will ship a new one to me.
    Something that Oculus themselves didnt wanna do, because apparently it is hard to send a NA Oculus to Europe.
  • tisseenschandetisseenschande Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    wow, just wow. since i did this i haven't got a single disconnect, and that's for a few hours now, where i would otherwise randomly get them. thank you, Sir. my rift is going to be returned anyway, for it still gets disconnects when readjusting or putting on, but this saved my weekend. thanks again.
    Art3mis
    andrinos said:
    @DNACowboy so are you all worked out? Has the power policy fixed everything for you?
    Yup, completely stable.

wow, just wow. since i did this i haven't got a single disconnect, and that's for a few hours now, where i would otherwise randomly get them. thank you, Sir. my rift is going to be returned anyway, for it still gets disconnects when readjusting or putting on, but this saved my weekend. thanks again.
    My pleasure :-)
    Who is John Galt?
  • wicketnezzwicketnezz Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    @DNACowboy  I appreciate your post on this, my rift has been having this issue since about 2 weeks after i received it.  I am currently on my 3rd rift because tech support was unable to think of another solution other than to send me a new unit repeatedly.  I ran into an issue trying to use your post to its full extent.  I run windows 10 home, and it has no Local Group Policy Editor that you can use.  I had to find another site that offered a download for the gpedit.msc files and got that installed.  However when I was able to get that working, I noticed that there was no power management setting that I could access to force windows to stay on one policy.  I did more research but couldn't figure out how to add those options in.

What I did find out by accident that worked was changing which usb port my rift was plugged into.  Tech support had me try multiple ports during the trouble shooting but all of them did the same thing off my inateck card directly.  I know that the card was good from other devices that were on it functioning just fine.  I ended up hooking a usb 3.0 hub to one of the ports and then hooked the rift up to it.  After 30 minutes it didnt disconnect, i was shocked.  After an hour it still didnt disconnect.  It's been 3 days and the rift is actually working how it should be.  So here's a link to the hub i used, and maybe that will help someone else out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XMD7KPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hiro Protagonist
    ^ I too have had better luck using a USB hub attached to my USB card...it still disconnects but less often and seems to be more consistent. My hub is also a powered hub.
  • metalnwoodmetalnwood Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thankfully this worked for me and I no longer have the constant USB connect sounds going while I am in iracing!